Advertise with us
Reach Your Target Audience
Advertising is hard. We make it simple and effective.
Advertise With Us →
NEWS
Welcome to Saradas – The premier female bodybuilding archive.
Support Saradas Keep the archive alive with Bitcoin
BTC QR
1QDxcxUx8pnsZvauyVxTqaJrWkeNhQrPdK Donate →
Main Menu

Denise Rutkowski

Started by ytsejam, February 09, 2007, 07:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRF


DRF

⚡ Support Saradas
Keep the archive alive with Bitcoin
BTC QR
1QDxcxUx8pnsZvauyVxTqaJrWkeNhQrPdK
Donate →

DRF



A rare image that was actually taken by a fan live at the 1993 ms olympia in NY

DRF


DRF

2018 update



I have been following up with her for almost a year now - on and off of course!- and it seems that she has hit some hard times as of late, or has relapsed. The PEDs/Androgens she had been administering into her body without medical supervision (depending on how you view Dan Duchiane!) seem to have taken their toll once again - she has been arrested a couple of months ago (NO MUGSHOTS WILL BE SHARED!). She was charged with criminal trespassing - more on the incident later on - but what was interesting is that she was placed on a 200$ bond which a couple of weeks into her custody was dropped to 0$. Now I am not familiar with the legal procedures in the US but based on those I conversed with it seems that she might have been directed towards getting medical treatment - yet to be confirmed. Back to the incident, the location of arrest matches one of the home shelters in Texas where she - presumably - was working and staying at. I did some research on the place and based on the reviews it evidently was a toxic environment especially for someone already predisposed like Denise; insanitary/inedible food/looting-loitering/drug abuse just to name a few. Bearing this in mind it seems as if - in comparison at least - she might have actually ended up in a 'better' place by being placed in a correctional facility. At least this way she will be forced into treatment which was completely out of the question given the environment she was in before. No way of telling for sure how this might end up, even given the fact she was arrested before since this time its different seeing as previously the most jailtime she spent was a couple of nights - this time she has already completed her second month in custody.

marvin

Thank you for the 2018 update on Denise. Sad that it was not an update with good news.
User is currently banned You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

alison brundage

With all my heart I wish her well.   She's still young with a life before her .   Lets all keep her in our thoughts and prayers. 
ALISON

DRF


DRF

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
With all my heart I wish her well.   She's still young with a life before her .   Lets all keep her in our thoughts and prayers. 
ALISON

From what I've heard she is still refusing to list any visitors, not even her closest relatives that are trying hard to visit her - maybe she doesn't want others to see her in this situation. She is already into her 4th month serving time but again being in jail at least guarantees her the basics i.e sanitation, food, shelter all of which she had to previously rely on the goodwill of places like the Presbyterian Night Shelter to get. Better yet, and this is NOT confirmed, she might actually be directed by authorities to seek medical treatment something her family struggled to get her to do. Its no where near perfect for her but at least this might actually turn out to be the lesser of two evils!

alison brundage

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
With all my heart I wish her well.   She's still young with a life before her .   Lets all keep her in our thoughts and prayers. 
ALISON

From what I've heard she is still refusing to list any visitors, not even her closest relatives that are trying hard to visit her - maybe she doesn't want others to see her in this situation. She is already into her 4th month serving time but again being in jail at least guarantees her the basics i.e sanitation, food, shelter all of which she had to previously rely on the goodwill of places like the Presbyterian Night Shelter to get. Better yet, and this is NOT confirmed, she might actually be directed by authorities to seek medical treatment something her family struggled to get her to do. Its no where near perfect for her but at least this might actually turn out to be the lesser of two evils!


The qualities that she has that she applied to her training and preparation for bodybuilding she can draw on....those qualities are still there.   For now she is safe and for that I am thankful.  Faith as well.   My thoughts and prayers are with her
Alison

DRF

Quote
The qualities that she has that she applied to her training and preparation for bodybuilding she can draw on....those qualities are still there.   For now she is safe and for that I am thankful.  Faith as well.   My thoughts and prayers are with her
Alison

This is exactly what she did from somewhere around 2001 to 2005 when she was working as a gym instructor at Fort Worth, Tx.

It doesn't hurt to think of ways to help her; I suspect she will be incarcerated for a maximum of another two months but the question remains where is she going to go once she is out?  In terms of family, the only family member in Texas she has is her mother most of her other relatives are up in Pennsylvania.

I am praying that this doesn't end up being a Catch-22 for her once she is out. P.S Her latest criminal trespassing charge was simply because she failed to abide by the Night Shelter rules, from what I have been told that the people in need of the facility need to be in and out of the premises within strict timings which resulted in a fallout. I have checked the police arrest records for that day 27th May 2018 about 5 other people were arrested at that same address for the same charge(s).

Rare images of Denise from 2001 FLEX Magazine interview

DRF

Article Excerpt from Flex Magazine
April 1994

DYNODELTS Learn to shoulder the changes BY DENISE RUTKOWSKI
THIRD HEAVYWEIGHT, 1992 NATIONALS



QuoteBefore I began working out with weights, I taught an aerobics class at the Lone Star Gym in Texas. One day in 1987, a friend there told me I had the potential to become a great bodybuilder. When I asked him why, he explained that the first thing everyone noticed when I walked in the door was my deltoids. That seemed a curious observation, but then I realized that delta are what allow that great bridge at the top of a physique. Everything else is suspended from this muscular overpass. In a sense no other body part is more important in the pursuit of great lines and symmetry. Intrigued by his suggestion, I started weight training, and within three months, everyone was calling me "Miss Delts." When I first entered that gym, I didn't even know what a bench press was; soon I wanted to be a bodybuilder so badly that I couldn't be dragged out of there. At the time, I weighed only 105 pounds and my 5'5" frame was dominated by my delta. There seemed to be nothing I could about it. No matter how I trained, they grew. Eventually, the rest of my physique started to catch up, but my genetics were biased toward my delts. That's no surprise; my brother is also broad-shouldered. My deltoids have responded so rapidly that I've had to periodically change my workouts simply to keep them under control. In the early stages of my bodybuilding career, I wasn't aware of how genetics take over, so I did set after set of heavy behind-the-neck presses fro eights reps each. Since I was on a three-day-on/one-day-off schedule, I was working my shoulders almost twice each week. Naturally, they grew, but as I progressed, I entered an overtraining zone in which other body parts began to suffer, so I changed to a four-on/one-off split. I still didn't get enough recuperation, so I went to do a two-on/one-off and even tried a two-on/two-off, until finally settled on my present program of hitting each body part once a week (with the exception of quads, which I work twice a week).It was a hard lesson to learn, but I finally realized just how important recuperation is. No longer am I concerned about the frequency of my workouts; in fact, I often take three days off in a row. Even so, I'm still growing. Having said that, I don't believe that beginning bodybuilders should train each bodypart only once a week. You must overload and over stress your body at the start in order to build a solid muscle foundation. It may not be necessary to perform numerous sets twice a week, but two-a-week workout at the beginning of your career seem to be best. As your intensity and poundages increase, you can gradually incorporate more recuperation. Back when I was working my shoulders twice a week, my routine was four sets of behind-the-neck presses, four sets of laterals and three sets of either bent laterals or upright rows (on alternate workouts), finishing with five sets of dumbbell shrugs. Fortunately, I was coached from day one to perform every movement with strict form, so I never adopt any bad lifting habits. Not only does proper form enhance muscle development, but it's equally important for safety. Take my word for it, if you lift heavy, you will injure your shoulders. Many of my friends have undergone shoulder surgery, ending to severely limiting their bodybuilding careers. Incorrect form is simply not worth the risk. At the beginning of 1990, I changed to a four-on, one-off schedule and modified my exercises somewhat. For my first shoulder exercise, I began dong behind-the-neck presses one workout, Arnold dumbbell presses the next. For lateral raises, I'd occasionally throw in tripe-down sets. I basically stuck with this routine for two years, at which point I stopped doing behind-the-neck presses altogether. That had always been an odd movement for me, and by the end of 1991, the aches and pains it created finally became too much. I switched to dumbbell presses (occasionally substituting machine presses so as not to force my shoulders backward. My reps remained in the eight-to-10 range. Because my traps were beginning to overpower my physique at this point, I also dropped my shrugs, and I haven't done them since. When I look at myself in the mirror, I don't want to see big traps; that's what leads to a blocky appearance. There's a fine line separating femininity from masculinity, and for me, big traps cross over that line. Just prior to winning the 1993 USA, I made another change to my current program, extending the training period of my entire body over five days. For the first delt exercise, I alternate between dumbbell presses and machine presses, at all times keeping the movement at the outside of my delta rather than toward the rear. Exercise number two is laterals. These are begun with the dumbbells in front of my body, palms reversed, with my pinkies almost touching. I then raise the dumbbells, but only to shoulder height, twisting my pinkies up toward the ceiling at the top of the movement. For exercise number three, I alternate bent laterals one workout with the rear-belt machine the next workout. My bent laterals are performed seated on the edge of a bench with my chest lowered to my quads. At the starting position, I hold the dumbbells together under my thighs, then raise them to no higher than shoulder level. I use the same form on the rear-debt machine: I don't bring the handles back so far that my middle back takes over the work my rear delta are supposed to be doing. If I feel my shoulders are just not getting the pump I want, I'll throw in some upright rows once in a blue moon. Total offseason sets for shoulders are still around 16, but reps are mostly in the 10-12 range. Changes for precontest training are an occasional thing for me. Most often, I train heavy right up to the show. Whereas a lot of bodybuilders speed their training up during precontest, my training actually slows, because I concentrate even more on a perfect movement with a squeeze, a hold and good form. Beginning four weeks out, I gradually slip in more cable work and supersets, and increase my reps to 12-15. But I basically try to retain as much size as possible right up to the time I step onstage. There are as many different training styles as there are bodybuilders, which probably accounts for the variety of physiques in lineups, but superior deltoid development is a real rarity. You can count the number of superb shoulders in this sport on two hands. The reason, I feel, is the natural tendency to work delta too heavy. We're tempted to show off the weight we can lift rather than perform the exercise properly. The secret for great deltoids, more than for any other body part, is to keep ego out of the gym. Stay within a range of manageable poundage, but still go for heavy enough weight to stay within the range of eight to 10 reps. That's where deltoids respond best.

To contact Denise Rutkowski, write to 1617 Lincoln Blvd., #247, Venice CA 90291.

Other images from the article: some might have been posted here already...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login



DRF


Partial Article Excerpt from Flex Magazine
April 1994

1993 Ms O. Coverage by Lori Grannis




QuoteIn second place was Miss Blonde Ambition herself, Rutkowski. Denise hit the contest trail with a vengeance in 1993, turning pro at the USA, and handily winning her first pro show at the Jan Tana a short time afterward. Her success is all the more amazing in light of the problems and illnesses she had to contend with, not to mention the physical stress brought on by the frequency of her contest entries in the five months preceding the Ms. O. Through it all, her condition remained awesomely consistent. Her frenetic pace has given her little opportunity to sharpen her physique, not that it needs much. But to do better against Murray in '94, Rutkowski will have to bring in her waist a bit. She compensated for it with her performance - undulating into poses that seem to have been made just for her - and was duly rewarded with her high placing. As good as she is in a pre-judging forum, Denise may need another year, perhaps two, to achieve the complete professionalism and relaxed poise that Murray radiates so naturally. I liken Rutkowski to a female version of Flex Wheeler. She has the same quality to her muscularity, a similar fullness of the muscle bellies and the same precise separation throughout her physique. According to her choreographer, the talented Rick Adams, who whipped up her scintillating floor mopping routine to Madonna's "Justify My Love," Rutkowski boldly stated back in 1985 that she would someday wear the Ms. Olympia crown. Though Adams spanked her attitudinally, he also realized that she had the potential to back up her words.

Lori Grannis


DRF

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
2018 update


I have been following up with her for almost a year now - on and off of course!- and it seems that she has hit some hard times as of late, or has relapsed. The PEDs/Androgens she had been administering into her body without medical supervision (depending on how you view Dan Duchiane!) seem to have taken their toll once again - she has been arrested a couple of months ago (NO MUGSHOTS WILL BE SHARED!). She was charged with criminal trespassing - more on the incident later on - but what was interesting is that she was placed on a 200$ bond which a couple of weeks into her custody was dropped to 0$. Now I am not familiar with the legal procedures in the US but based on those I conversed with it seems that she might have been directed towards getting medical treatment - yet to be confirmed. Back to the incident, the location of arrest matches one of the home shelters in Texas where she - presumably - was working and staying at. I did some research on the place and based on the reviews it evidently was a toxic environment especially for someone already predisposed like Denise; insanitary/inedible food/looting-loitering/drug abuse just to name a few. Bearing this in mind it seems as if - in comparison at least - she might have actually ended up in a 'better' place by being placed in a correctional facility. At least this way she will be forced into treatment which was completely out of the question given the environment she was in before. No way of telling for sure how this might end up, even given the fact she was arrested before since this time its different seeing as previously the most jailtime she spent was a couple of nights - this time she has already completed her second month in custody.


2018 update- Follow Up

During my previous post, Denise was already into her second month in custody. As of tomorrow, she would be approaching her 6th - and final (at least according to what she was charged with)- month. Now the sticking point remains: how can she do things differently in order to avoid another relapse?

Just to contextualize it:

  • Apart from her mother - who is barely making ends meet for herself, she has no one else in Fort Worth...literally, NO ONE!
  • Finding a job is almost impossible given she is already 56 with a record
  • Most likely facing some sort of mental illness - not sure if received an official diagnosis or treatment for that while being incarcerated
  • Stubbornness - the reason why is being incarcerated ATM (failed to abide by the Night Shelter rules and as always ended up getting into a confrontation)
  • Overly religious which again might be partly driven by the 3rd point

Although it doesn't hurt to make suggestions, turning this around would require nothing short of a miracle.

marvin

Sadly you are right, it will take a miracle. Maybe Denise is due a miracle.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2018 update- Follow Up

During my previous post, Denise was already into her second month in custody. As of tomorrow, she would be approaching her 6th - and final (at least according to what she was charged with)- month. Now the sticking point remains: how can she do things differently in order to avoid another relapse?

Just to contextualize it:

  • Apart from her mother - who is barely making ends meet for herself, she has no one else in Fort Worth...literally, NO ONE!
  • Finding a job is almost impossible given she is already 56 with a record
  • Most likely facing some sort of mental illness - not sure if received an official diagnosis or treatment for that while being incarcerated
  • Stubbornness - the reason why is being incarcerated ATM (failed to abide by the Night Shelter rules and as always ended up getting into a confrontation)
  • Overly religious which again might be partly driven by the 3rd point

Although it doesn't hurt to make suggestions, turning this around would require nothing short of a miracle.
User is currently banned You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

DRF

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sadly you are right, it will take a miracle. Maybe Denise is due a miracle.
We'll see how this turns out by the end of the month...hopefully talking to her wont be so difficult once she is out.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login