Advertise with us
Reach Your Target Audience
Advertising is hard. We make it simple and effective.
Advertise With Us →
NEWS
Welcome to Saradas – The premier female bodybuilding archive.
Support Saradas Keep the archive alive with Bitcoin
BTC QR
1QDxcxUx8pnsZvauyVxTqaJrWkeNhQrPdK Donate →
Main Menu

Larger Lena (My Classmate Got Buff because of AI) By erintween

Started by hatour, April 27, 2026, 07:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatour

Larger Lena (My Classmate Got Buff because of AI)
By erintween

Prologue

By senior year, most people on campus had already settled into whatever version of themselves they were going to be. The student-athletes stayed student-athletes. The burned-out engineering majors stayed hollow-eyed and sleep-deprived. The people who lived at the library kept living there. The gym regulars, like me, kept to their routines and their macros and their increasingly fragile knees.

I liked that. I liked consistency.

At twenty-two, I was in the best shape of my life. Not huge, not some shredded fitness influencer, but solid. Six feet tall, a lean two hundred pounds, broad through the shoulders, strong legs, decent arms, and enough time under the bar to earn a certain reputation. Not a campus celebrity or anything stupid like that. Just one of those guys people knew could lift.

If someone needed help moving furniture, I got the text. If somebody wanted a bench spot, they waved me over. If a class project somehow involved "finding the strongest volunteer," people looked at me first.

I won't pretend I hated that. Most of my life, strength had been the simplest thing about me. Reliable. Measurable. Honest.

Which is probably why I noticed Lena Park so much. Not consciously at first. Not in the way my friends meant when they made comments about girls in our major. Lena was just always around.

We were both in the media lab track, finishing out our last year with the same ugly schedule full of capstones, editing sessions, and practical assignments. She usually sat two rows ahead of me in Interactive Visual Systems, surrounded by tablets, sketchpads, sticky notes, and an amount of caffeine that should've killed her by October. She wore oversized sweaters most days, or campus hoodies with the sleeves tugged halfway over her hands. Her hair was usually tied back in a loose, messy knot that seemed held together by chance and pure stubbornness. She was maybe 5'4" on a good day, slim in that unassuming way that made people overlook her, all narrow shoulders. She made quick little movements and a constant look of being halfway distracted by three better ideas than whatever the professor was saying.

She wasn't weak, exactly. Just small. Light-framed. Easy to miss in a crowd unless she was speaking, and when she did speak, people listened because she was sharp enough to make the rest of us sound like we were still buffering.

We ended up partnered on a late-semester prototype project almost by accident. The concept was simple enough. Adaptive media rendering using AI-assisted image and motion generation. The professor wanted us to build a presentation around how generative tools could iteratively alter a subject across visual states. Body position, lighting, expression, wardrobe, implied movement, all of it. Most teams did boring commercial mockups or stylized ad campaigns.

Lena wanted ours to look cinematic. "You know what would actually be interesting?" she said one night in the lab, spinning around in her chair to face me. "Instead of making fake product people, we use one consistent real subject and push the transformations in subtle increments. Same face, same pose family, same environment. Make the changes controlled."

"Like aging?" I asked.

"Too obvious."

"Different fashion styles?"

"Boring."

I leaned back in my chair. "Then what?"

She tapped her stylus against her lip, thinking. "Physical development," she said. "Like progressive athletic change. Strength, posture, body composition. Not fantasy superhero stuff. Just believable increments."

I snorted. "Believable, with generative AI?"

"Believable enough," she said. "That's the whole experiment."

We needed a subject. Neither of us wanted to use me. Too predictable. Honestly, the whole thing would've looked like some self-obsessed gym profile. Lena didn't want to use herself either, at least not initially.

After we burned an hour trying to generate consistent strangers without uncanny glitches, she gave an annoyed sigh and shoved her chair back. "Fine," she said. "Use me. But only because my face is already all over our source files."

"You sure?"

She gave me a flat look. "Evan, half our class presentations involve scanning their own heads into software. We're already beyond dignity."

So that was that. We fed the system a batch of reference images. Lena in different neutral poses, taken against the blank wall in Studio B. Arms at her sides. Hands on hips. Walking profile. Sitting pose. A couple of rotation shots for consistency. Nothing glamorous. Just clean references.

Then I started building transformation prompts. At first it was technical and detached. Slightly broader shoulders. More developed upper back. Increased leg definition. Improved athletic posture. Subtle increase in lean muscle mass.

The generator produced versions of Lena that looked like she'd taken up intramural rowing or gotten really serious about rock climbing. Nothing dramatic. Just denser. Straighter. More physically present.

Lena looked over my shoulder at one render and laughed. "Wow," she said. "That version of me looks like she meal preps."

"She definitely owns resistance bands," I said.

"She judges me for eating vending machine pretzels."

I grinned and kept going. The weird part, if I'm being honest, was that I started caring a little too much about the iterations. Not because I thought anything of it. Not then. I just got particular. The shoulders needed to sit right. The neck couldn't get too thick too fast or it looked fake. If the upper arms changed, the forearms had to follow. A stronger body needed a stronger posture, a different stance, a more grounded center of gravity. I adjusted prompt weights, reran batches, cleaned artifacts, and tuned the progression until the rendered Lena looked not absurd, but inevitable. As if some version of her had always been headed that way.

Sometime after midnight, Lena packed up her stuff and stretched, hoodie riding up just enough to show a narrow strip of stomach. "You're still tweaking?"

"Just cleaning the sequence."

She yawned. "Don't accidentally turn me into a comic-book barbarian."

"No promises."

"Creep," she muttered, but she was smiling when she left.

I stayed another hour. Just refining. Broader delts, but not too broad. Slight arm fullness visible even through a sweatshirt. A stronger taper through the back. Thicker thighs under jeans. Gradual height increase for later-stage renders, mostly as a visual experiment to see whether presence could be changed with proportions alone.

It was interesting. That's all I told myself. A design problem. A continuity exercise. A better-looking output. Nothing more.

The next morning, Lena came into class wearing a gray long-sleeve campus tee and black joggers, coffee in one hand, tablet in the other. She dropped into the chair beside me instead of her usual seat up front. "I overslept," she said. "If I die during lecture, clear my browser history."

I glanced over, then did a double take. Not because anything was obvious. Because something was. Her shirt fit differently. Only a little. So little I almost dismissed it immediately. The cotton pulled a touch more snugly across her upper arms when she bent to dig through her bag. The sleeves used to hang loose off her narrow frame. Now there was the faintest suggestion of shape inside them, a soft outward curve around the deltoid and triceps that made the fabric sit higher against her skin. Not bigger, exactly. Just more filled in. Her shoulders looked a little squarer. Her posture a little taller.

Probably laundry shrinkage, I thought. Probably.

Then she raised her arm to tie her hair back again, and I saw the sleeve tighten over the front of her upper arm as something beneath it shifted and pressed against the fabric with a firmness that hadn't been there before. I looked away.

By the end of class, I had convinced myself I was imagining things. By the end of the week, I wasn't so sure.

Chapter 1 – Tiny Corrections

I noticed changes in frames before I noticed them in life. That was the problem with spending too long in the lab. You get too used to comparing versions of the same thing side by side, zoomed to two hundred percent, looking for altered shadows and tiny distortions. Your brain starts to think in overlays. Before and after. Baseline and deviation.

So when Lena's body started drifting, I caught it in flashes. A sleeve sitting differently. A backpack strap carving across a shoulder that seemed just slightly rounder under her hoodie. The line of her neck and collarbone changing when she laughed and turned.

Each time, the change was small enough to rationalize. Maybe she was sleeping better. Maybe she'd been walking more. Maybe I was just too deep in our project and seeing my own edits reflected back at me.

The sane explanation was that I'd primed myself into noticing athletic traits because I'd spent six hours prompting them into fake images. The insane explanation was that the images were doing something. So naturally I chose the sane explanation and kept making more.

Our project needed a longer progression arc. That was what I told myself Friday night when I stayed late again in the media lab, sleeves rolled up, protein shake sweating on the desk beside my keyboard. The building was mostly empty, just the distant hum of ventilation and the occasional thunk of a door closing down the hall.

I loaded Lena's reference set and extended the prompt sequence. Early athletic build. Subtle but visible muscle growth. Defined shoulders under casual clothing. Toned arms with increasing fullness. Thicker thighs, stronger posture, more imposing silhouette.

The generator gave me a dozen options per stage. I kept the most coherent ones and pushed a little further. At stage six, Lena looked like someone who'd spent six months training seriously. At stage eight, she looked like she could probably out-deadlift half the guys in the rec center. At stage ten, the differences had turned undeniable; capped shoulders, developed arms, a clear taper through the upper body, thicker legs, and a slightly taller frame that made her whole presence seem heavier, steadier, harder to ignore.

I should have stopped there. Instead, I rendered motion tests too. Short looping clips, her walking toward camera, turning, flexing her hands, adjusting a sleeve. It was technically useful for the project, but I got weirdly meticulous about how the body moved. A stronger person couldn't walk like a light one. The hips had to anchor more. The shoulders had to carry weight differently. Even idle movements needed a little more momentum behind them.

At two in the morning, I exported the batch and finally went home.

The next Monday, Lena showed up to our capstone workshop in a navy hoodie I'd seen her wear a hundred times. And somehow it made the change easier to see.

The hoodie had always swallowed her. That was part of her whole thing. Being wrapped in oversized layers, like she preferred to let her voice take up space instead of the rest of her. But now the fabric wasn't hanging off empty angles anymore. It rested on structure.

When she leaned over my desk to look at my notes, the seam at the top of her shoulder sat higher, pushed up by a roundness underneath it. Not huge. Not remotely huge. But real. Her upper arms had begun to claim space inside the sleeves. The thick cotton didn't cling, but it did mound faintly over the front of her delts and pull more cleanly along the outer curve of her triceps. When she crossed her arms, the material bunched over muscle instead of collapsing flat.

I kept looking for tricks of posture, tricks of fabric. Then she reached up to shove her hair back and the hoodie sleeve dragged across her forearm, catching for a second over a firmer shape beneath. The muscles there tightened lightly from the simple movement, enough to show as a smooth, dense contour running from elbow to wrist.

"Why are you staring?" she asked.

I blinked. "I'm not."

"You are. Is there something on my face?"

"No. I just," I glanced down at my screen. "Did you do something different?"

"With what?"

"I don't know. You look," I almost said stronger and stopped myself because that sounded insane. "Less dead, maybe."

Lena snorted and dropped into the chair beside me. "That's what eight hours of sleep does. I had one whole weekend with no all-nighter."

"That's illegal."

"I know. I'm thinking of making it a habit."

She shoved her sleeve up absentmindedly while digging for a pen. The fabric climbed to just above her elbow and I forgot whatever I'd been about to say. Her arm was still slim, but not as slim as it had been. There was a soft but definite shape to her bicep even relaxed, a little rise along the front of the upper arm that made the inside curve look fuller. Her triceps weren't sharp or cut or anything like that, but they gave the back of her arm a faintly sculpted slope instead of the old straight line I was used to. Even her forearm looked subtly denser, with a cleaner line where the muscle sat against the bone.

Lena noticed me noticing. She frowned at her own arm and turned it over. "Huh."

"What?"

"My sleeves have felt weird all morning." She pinched the fabric at her bicep and rolled it between her fingers. "This hoodie used to be baggier."

"Maybe it shrank."

"Again? It's like four years old." She tugged the sleeve back down and shrugged it off, but for the rest of class I caught her glancing at her arms whenever she moved.

That should have been the point where I stopped generating new renders. Instead, that night, I opened the project again. I told myself I was checking consistency between source images and outputs. I was not checking consistency. I was comparing Lena in the lab three weeks ago to Lena in the lab now, and I hated how close the match felt. Not perfect. Not exact. But close enough to make the back of my neck go cold. The broader set to the shoulders. The posture. The beginning fullness in the arms.

I stared at the screen for a long time. Then, with the kind of stupid curiosity that ruins lives, I typed a new prompt. Incremental increase in lean muscle tone visible through everyday clothing. Subtle shoulder and arm growth. Natural progression. Believable.

My finger hovered over the render key. Then I pressed it.

The next few days passed in a blur of ordinary college nonsense. Missed deadlines, group presentation panic, rec center crowds, the smell of burnt coffee in the design building, but Lena kept drifting. Slowly. Quietly. Impossible to point at in any single moment, but impossible not to feel by the end of the week.

On Thursday afternoon, we were setting up lighting for a recorded prototype demo when she bent to lift one of the softbox stands. Normally I would have grabbed it first. Not because she couldn't lift a stand, anyone could, but because that was just the reflex people had around me. Let the bigger guy handle the awkward equipment. This time I reached automatically and stopped. Lena had already picked it up one-handed and swung it upright with a smooth, easy motion. Not straining. Not fumbling. Just handling it.

She paused when she saw my expression. "What?"

"Nothing."

"You looked surprised."

"I wasn't."

"You were," she said, and then glanced down at the stand in her hand. "Okay, maybe a little fair. Usually these things catch on the floor." She set it down, then flexed her fingers like she was checking them.

I watched the sleeve of her heather-blue crewneck shift around her upper arm. As her grip tightened, the fabric along the back of her arm drew taut for a second, outlining more shape than it should have, an actual swell along the triceps, gentle but unmistakable. The shoulder above it looked rounder too, enough that the seam no longer drooped off her frame but perched on it.

"You been working out?" I asked.

Lena looked at me like I'd accused her of joining a circus. "No."

"Not even a little?"

"I walk up four flights of stairs because this building was apparently designed by sadists. Does that count?"

I laughed, but uneasily.

That night she texted me a picture from her apartment mirror. Not a thirst trap. Not even close. Just Lena, in an oversized sleep shirt and drawstring shorts, holding one sleeve away from her arm with a confused expression on her face that said 'Why do my arms look... different?'

I stared at the image. Even in the loose shirt, I could see it. The cotton sleeve no longer fell straight. It angled outward over the rounded cap of her shoulder and draped across a fuller upper arm beneath. Where she'd pinched the sleeve up, the bicep underneath showed a small but clean curve, not flexed, just existing. Her forearm, lit by the bathroom mirror light, looked smooth and firm.

I typed, deleted, typed again. 'maybe you're just carrying more tension in your shoulders? posture change?'

She replied immediately. 'that's the stupidest thing you've ever said.' Then, a second later. 'but maybe? idk'

I put my phone facedown on my desk and looked at the exported render sequence open on my laptop. Then I turned the laptop off. I didn't generate anything the next day.

By Saturday night, I did it again anyway.

Chapter 2 – The Sleeves Get Tight

By mid-October, Lena started touching her arms without meaning to. Not in a vain way. In a puzzled way. She'd rub one hand over the opposite upper arm while reading. Tug at her sleeves and then pause, distracted, like the fabric felt wrong. Press absent fingertips into the front of her shoulder as if checking whether the firmness there had always existed. Once, during a lecture, I caught her poking the underside of her own tricep with a look of mild betrayal.

She was changing. Slowly enough that nobody gasped when she walked into a room, but steadily enough that every few days she seemed to arrive in a slightly revised version of herself.

And I was making it worse. Or causing it. Or both. I still didn't have a theory I could say out loud without sounding unwell, but the pattern had become hard to ignore. Every time I pushed the renders a little further, some echo of it appeared in real life over the next few days. Never instantly. Never as some dramatic movie-magic transformation. Just a quiet realignment, as if reality kept waking up a little closer to the version I'd told the system to imagine.

I should have deleted the whole project. Instead, I started being careful. If I was going to test this, because apparently I was already the kind of idiot who tests impossible things, I would do it in increments. Measured ones. Small enough that I could still tell myself I wasn't doing harm.

So I limited the next prompts to upper body development only. Athletic but natural increase in shoulder width. Slight arm growth visible in long sleeves. Defined back and better posture. Subtle increase in height. I hit render and sat there in the lab feeling like I'd just committed a crime no court would know how to prosecute.

Three days later, Lena came to our editing session wearing a fitted green thermal top I had never seen before. I almost wished she hadn't. The shirt had long sleeves and a soft ribbed texture, the kind of casual top you don't think twice about until somebody's body changes enough to make the fabric tell on them. On old Lena, it probably would have just looked snug.

On current Lena, it looked strained in places. Not dramatically. Not enough for anyone else in the room to comment. But I noticed the way the sleeves hugged her upper arms instead of skimming over them. The cloth stretched smooth around her delts, showing their rounded outline with embarrassing clarity every time she reached for the mouse. Her biceps had grown into visible shape under the fabric too. Not bulging, not absurd, but full enough that the material curved over them and tightened when she bent her arm. The back of the sleeve clung to her triceps, tracing their thicker line from shoulder to elbow.

She dropped into the chair beside me and sighed. "This shirt is pissing me off."

I swallowed. "Why?"

"The sleeves." She yanked at one irritably. "They keep catching here." She tapped the outside of her upper arm. "And across my shoulders."

"You could've outgrown it."

Lena shot me a look. "I have not outgrown a shirt in my life."

Before I could answer, she hooked her hair up with both hands. That movement pulled the thermal tight over everything. Her shoulders stood out first. Rounder now, fuller at the sides, the seams stretched over them in smooth little domes. Then her upper arms tightened the sleeves enough to reveal actual contours beneath. Bicep at the front, tricep at the back, separated by the faint groove that only appears when there's enough muscle to create one. Even the upper chest and collar area looked different. She wasn't bigger there in any exaggerated sense, just more built through the clavicles and upper torso, as if her frame had thickened into itself.

She caught me looking again. "You're doing it again."

"What?"

"The weird stare."

"I'm not staring."

"You absolutely are." She glanced down at herself. "Do I really look that different?" The question came out light, but it hung there.

I chose the safest possible answer. "A little."

Lena leaned back in her chair. "Okay, good, because I thought I was going insane."

She held one forearm out in front of her and flexed her hand experimentally. The tendons and muscle along the underside tightened at once, cleaner than before, and a faint line rose along the top of the forearm toward the elbow. She turned it over, brow furrowed, then bent her arm halfway and watched the front bunch.

The thermal sleeve gave her away again. A compact swell rose under the fabric at her bicep, pressing against the ribbed cotton in a way that was impossible to mistake for nothing. Small still, but real.

Her eyes widened. "Okay," she said slowly. "That was not there a month ago."

I tried to laugh. "Maybe you've been secretly doing curls in your sleep."

"Not funny." But she smiled anyway, faintly, still studying her arm.

That was new too. The confusion was still there, but underneath it now was something else. Curiosity.

Later that week, we had to shoot reference footage in the black box studio for our final presentation. Lena wore a loose zip-up hoodie over a tank and joggers. When she shrugged the hoodie off to avoid weird fabric interference with the motion capture markers, I saw more of the change at once than I ever had before. Her tank top was simple and dark, cut close to the body. It made the last several weeks impossible to ignore.

Lena had always had a narrow frame, but now that frame was carrying muscle in distinct places. Her shoulders were visibly broader, not enough to make her look masculine, just enough to change the geometry of her silhouette. The delts curved out from the line of her neck with a smooth athletic roundness. Her upper arms had gained fullness all the way around. When relaxed, they no longer hung slim and straight but showed subtle mass front and back. The triceps especially had begun to shape the backs of her arms into soft horseshoes beneath the skin.

And her posture. That might have been the strangest part. She stood differently now. Taller, chest more open, shoulder blades set flatter and stronger under the tank. Her back had begun to taper just slightly from shoulder to waist, giving her an outline that felt sturdier, more anchored. Even her neck looked stronger where it met the traps, the lines there less delicate than they used to be.

Lena looked down at herself while I adjusted the camera. "You know what's weird?" she said.

"Everything?"

She ignored that. "My backpack feels lighter now."

I looked up. "What?"

"I know that sounds dumb." She rolled one shoulder. "But, like, stuff that used to feel awkward doesn't feel awkward anymore."

"Maybe you're just stronger."

She let out a short laugh. "From what? Rendering?"

I didn't answer.

She stepped toward the marker grid and then paused near the full-length monitor we were using for motion calibration. For a second she just stared at her reflection. Then she turned sideways. Then she bent her arm slightly. Her tank top shifted with her movement, exposing more of the upper arm and shoulder.

I saw her expression change as she actually registered what she was seeing. The bicep tightened into a visible curve. Not huge, not dramatic, but far enough from her old baseline to look almost foreign on her. Her deltoid lifted with it, a neat cap above the arm. When she straightened again, the muscle didn't disappear completely. It remained as shape.

"Evan," she said quietly.

"Yeah?"

"Be honest."

That almost never ended well.

She touched the front of her shoulder, then the side of her arm. "Do I look muscular?"

I should have said athletic. Or more toned. Or some other harmless word. Instead, because she was standing there genuinely asking, I told the truth. "Yeah," I said. "A little. More than before."

She looked back at the mirror.

I expected embarrassment. Maybe concern. Instead I saw a strange, thoughtful stillness settle over her face. "Wow," she murmured. Not upset. Just startled. And maybe, though I didn't let myself dwell on it, not displeased.

That night, after she left, I opened the render archive again. I looked at the newest outputs and then at a candid still I'd taken from the studio footage. Real Lena. Current Lena. The distance between them was shrinking. I stared at her shoulders on screen. The arms. The slight increased height I had half-convinced myself was posture and half-knew was not.

Then I made the worst decision yet. I started a new branch of prompts. Not just passive growth. Active training. The logic was stupidly simple. If Lena was already changing, then maybe once she noticed the changes, she'd start leaning into them herself. Would that accelerate whatever was happening? Would reality still follow if the new version of her acted in ways that supported it?

I typed carefully. Early lifting routine. Beginner strength training. Rapid adaptation to exercise. Increasing muscle growth in arms, shoulders, back, thighs. Visible changes through regular clothes.

I sat back from the keyboard, feeling the pulse in my throat. Then I rendered the sequence.

The following Monday, Lena asked if I knew anything about the rec center's weight room.

I nearly dropped my coffee. "What?"

She shrugged, pretending not to care. "I was just wondering."

"Why?"

"No reason."

"Lena."

She rolled her eyes. "Okay, maybe a reason. My body feels weird."

"Weird how?"

She frowned, searching for the words. "Heavier. But not bad-heavy. More like," She flexed one hand. "Like I keep noticing I have more leverage than I expect. Like things move more easily."

"That's very normal and not terrifying at all."

"Shut up." She looked down at her sleeve, pinching the fabric around her upper arm again. "And I kind of want to know if I can do something with it."

"With what?"

She met my eyes. "This." Then she bent her arm just slightly. Even through the sleeve of her sweatshirt, I saw the shape gather under the fabric. The front of the upper arm rising, the sleeve tightening around a compact little bicep that hadn't been there when the semester started.

I stared.

Lena smirked. Only a little. Only for a second. But it was the first time I'd seen even the smallest spark of pride in her expression.

"I knew it," she said. "You were staring because it's real."

I cleared my throat. "You want me to show you the weight room sometime?"

She considered that, then nodded. "Yeah," she said. "Maybe I do."

Chapter 3 – Beginner Gains

The first time I took Lena to the rec center, I told myself it was just practical. She'd asked. I knew the place, knew the equipment, knew how to keep somebody from hurting themselves doing something stupid with a cable stack. It wasn't a big deal.

That was the story I went with, anyway. The truth was I was curious in a way that felt dangerous. Not just about the whole impossible-AI-reality problem, though that part was still chewing steadily through the back of my mind. I was curious about Lena herself. About what would happen once someone with a body already drifting toward strength started training on purpose. Whether she'd be awkward and hesitant like most beginners, or whether her body would take to it like something finally being given permission.

She met me outside the rec center in black leggings, white sneakers, and a loose university T-shirt with the sleeves rolled once.

For a second, all I could do was look. Casual clothes had always hidden the progression in pieces. The T-shirt didn't. Soft cotton rested over muscle now. Her sleeves, even rolled, sat snug around upper arms that had grown enough to round them out visibly. The delts underneath pushed the shoulder seams outward, not massively, but clearly. Her thighs looked thicker too, the leggings outlining stronger quads and fuller lines through her hips and hamstrings than I remembered from even a couple weeks ago.

And she looked taller. Not drastically. But enough. When she came to a stop in front of me, I realized her eyes were hitting a little higher on my chest than they used to.

"You're late," she said.

"You're early."

"I panicked and arrived fifteen minutes ahead of time."

"That tracks."

She folded her arms and immediately noticed the shirt tightening across her upper arms. "See?" she said. "This is what I mean."

I glanced down. With her arms crossed, her biceps and forearms pushed against the sleeves from underneath, shaping the fabric into rounder lines than any normal 'I don't work out' explanation could support. The shirt drew tight over the outside of her shoulders too, outlining that developed cap I'd first seen hints of weeks ago.

"You're fine," I said.

"That didn't sound convincing."

"Because I'm trying not to say something weird."

Lena narrowed her eyes. "That somehow sounds worse."

Inside, the weight room was crowded but not packed. Enough people moving around to create that constant metallic background noise of plates clanking, cable stacks knocking, rubber soles squeaking. Familiar. Comforting, usually.

Not that day. That day I was acutely aware of Lena beside me, scanning the room with that quick, analytical expression she got when learning a new software interface. She didn't look intimidated so much as annoyed that she didn't already know how everything worked.

We started simple. Goblet squats. Dumbbell rows. Machine chest press. Assisted pull-downs. Basic stuff. I expected typical beginner uncertainty. Shaky reps, bad control, the kind of movement that tells you someone is negotiating with their body in real time. Instead, Lena adapted almost immediately. Not perfectly, but too fast. Her squat depth cleaned up within two sets. Her rows found the right path after a few cues. On the bench press, she adjusted her shoulder position and suddenly the movement looked smooth, powerful, efficient. Like her body understood leverage before her mind had fully caught up.

"That feels, weirdly good," she admitted after the second set.

"Most people don't say that about bench press."

"I'm serious." She flexed and unflexed her hands around the handle grips. "It feels like my arms are actually doing what I think they should do."

I tried to ignore that sentence and failed.

By the time we got to dumbbell curls as a joke finisher, Lena was grinning. "Okay," she said, taking the twenties from the rack. "Teach me how to do the cliché one."

I laughed. "The cliché one?"

"The gym-bro one."

"That narrows it down not at all."

She rolled her eyes and curled the dumbbells. Her form was raw, but the strength was there. The first rep brought the weights up with surprising ease. The second was smoother. By the fourth, I was no longer smiling.

When she bent her arms, her biceps rose sharply enough under her rolled sleeves that the cotton pulled tight across them. Not just a little bunching of skin and fabric. Actual muscle lifting the shirt from underneath, compressing the sleeve around a growing shape. The front of her upper arms swelled cleanly. The back tightened in counterbalance. Her forearms flexed with more visible density than a first-timer should've had.

She hit ten reps, breathing harder now. "Twelve," I said automatically. She did twelve. Then thirteen.

At fourteen she lowered the weights and stared at her own arms. Even pumped from one set, the difference was obvious. The rolled sleeves sat higher and tighter over fuller upper arms, and beneath them the biceps remained visibly round for a few lingering seconds before settling back down.

"What the hell," she said softly.

"You okay?"

"Yeah." She looked from her arms to me. "I just didn't think I could do that."

I took the dumbbells from her before I could say something stupid.

"You've got decent natural strength." Natural. The word felt ridiculous in my mouth.

The next week changed everything. Once Lena started lifting, she liked it immediately. Not in a fake montage way where somebody goes from reluctant to obsessed overnight. More like a locked door had opened and she was startled by how much she wanted to keep walking through.

She texted me form questions. Asked if protein bars were all scams. Sent blurry mirror selfies from the rec center with captions like 'am I supposed to feel my back this much??' and 'i think the leg press machine is trying to kill me'

And all the while, the physical changes kept stacking. Now that she was actively training, they no longer hid as well.

Wednesday morning she came to class in a cream cable-knit sweater that should have concealed almost everything.

It didn't.

Thicker clothing softened detail, sure, but it also made volume easier to register. The sweater draped over her torso, but at the arms it betrayed her immediately. The knit stretched more firmly over the shoulders, sitting atop rounded delts that changed the entire hang of the garment. The sleeves no longer fell in narrow columns. They curved around the upper arms, especially where the biceps and triceps had begun to fill out enough to make the fabric tent outward. Even at rest, there was shape there now. Solidness. Substance.

When she rested her chin on one hand during lecture, the sleeve on that bent arm tightened across the front of her bicep and pulled into shallow horizontal stress lines. I looked away and tried to take notes.

After class, she caught up to me on the stairs.

"Okay," she said. "I need a second opinion."

"That sounds ominous."

She shoved her backpack strap higher on one shoulder. Even that movement drew my attention to how much stronger she looked. The strap sat over a shoulder that had become broad enough to support it without collapsing inward, and the upper back beneath the sweater looked flatter and more structured than before.

"My jeans are tighter in the thighs."

I nearly missed a step. "What?"

She stopped halfway down the landing and turned to face me, exasperated. "My. Jeans. Are. Tighter." She grabbed at the fabric over one thigh and pulled it forward to demonstrate. "Here."

And yeah. Even through denim, I could see it. Her thighs had thickened enough to change the fit. Not cartoonishly. Not even enough for anybody else to notice unless they were paying awful levels of attention. But I was paying awful levels of attention. The front of her thighs looked denser, more filled in, and where the jeans pulled across the quads, there was a subtle firmness to the line underneath.

"Have you been doing leg day?" I asked.

Lena gave me a flat stare. "You mean the thing you told me I had to do if I wanted 'a balanced foundation'?"

I regretted every word I'd ever spoken.

She looked down at her own legs, then back up at me. "I think it's working." She didn't sound upset. At all.

By the end of that week, Lena had started checking mirrors. Not constantly. Just enough. Store windows. Reflective elevator doors. The darkened monitor screen before it woke up. She'd pause, tilt slightly, look at her shoulders or her arms with this thoughtful little furrow in her brow, as though she still couldn't quite believe her body was becoming something that required reassessment.

On Friday night, after our workout, she stood in front of the mirrored wall near the stretching mats in a loose slate-gray sweatshirt damp with sweat. "You know the really weird part?" she asked.

"What?"

She pinched the sleeve around her upper arm. The fabric pulled tight almost immediately. "I can see them through this now."

I stepped up beside her before I could stop myself. She was right. Even in a sweatshirt, the contours were starting to show. The heavier fabric blurred edges, but it couldn't erase the shape. Her shoulders pressed against the material in smooth domes. The upper arms beneath formed a thicker cylinder than before, with enough distinction front to back that the sweatshirt gathered differently depending on how she held them. When she bent her arm a little, the cloth over the bicep lifted outward. When she straightened it, the tricep still filled the sleeve behind.

Lena turned toward the mirror and raised one arm hesitantly. Not a real flex. More like a test. The sweatshirt sleeve tightened across the front of her upper arm as the bicep rose under it, and both of us went quiet.

"Okay," she said after a moment. "That is definitely new." Her voice came out breathier than usual.

Mine didn't come out at all.

She lowered her arm and laughed, but there was a thrill under it now, impossible to miss. "Maybe I should buy more T-shirts before I accidentally Hulk out of all my sweaters."

I found my voice. "You are nowhere near hulking out."

"Yet," she said.

Then she looked at me with a smile that lasted just a beat too long.

I told myself I didn't feel anything strange in my chest at that moment. I was lying.

Chapter 4 – Visible Now

By November, nobody could call Lena "small" with a straight face anymore. She was still shorter than me. Still visibly lighter. Still Lena in all the ways that mattered. Dry humor, quick wit, that half-distracted intensity she carried into every project. But physically, the category my brain had kept her in for years was gone.

The first truly undeniable moment happened on a rainy Tuesday in the media building. We were setting up for a presentation rehearsal, and Lena walked in wearing dark jeans, boots, and a fitted maroon long-sleeve shirt under a black utility jacket. She shrugged the jacket off while talking and slung it over a chair.

Every conversation in my head stopped. The shirt was not forgiving. It showed everything the last month had been building toward.

Her shoulders had broadened enough to create a strong horizontal line across the top of her frame, and the fabric stretched sleekly over rounded delts that now looked fully developed rather than merely toned. Her upper arms had gained real size. Still compact compared to mine, but undeniably muscular, with full biceps in front and thickened triceps behind that gave the sleeves a near-tailored tightness. When she reached across the table for a stylus, the cloth pulled over her arm and outlined the separation between shoulder and upper arm in one clean, athletic curve.

Her back and torso had changed too. The shirt skimmed a body that no longer read as narrow and slight. There was more upper back under it, more lat presence, a stronger taper from shoulders down to waist. Her chest sat differently because of it, lifted by posture and the surrounding musculature. Even her neck looked more powerful where it met the traps, which had begun to rise softly from the collar line.

And she was taller. I couldn't ignore it anymore. When she stopped beside me, the top of her head sat closer to my eye line than it had any right to. Not by a ton. But enough to make my pulse do something unpleasant.

"Can you check the export settings on slide fourteen?" she asked.

I was still looking.

"Evan."

"Yeah," I said too quickly. "Yeah. Sorry."

Lena narrowed her eyes. Then she glanced down at herself. Then back at me. "Oh," she said. That one syllable carried far too much understanding.

I turned to the laptop. "Slide fourteen's fine."

"Mm-hm."

"You don't have to make that sound."

"I didn't make a sound."

"You absolutely made a sound."

She laughed softly and sat down, but I noticed she sat a little straighter after that. Shoulders back. Arms resting on the table in a way that made them look even thicker inside the sleeves.

She knew now. Maybe not about the AI. Definitely not about that. But she knew she had become visibly strong. And she was starting to enjoy it.

The rec center made it worse. Once Lena gained enough experience to move confidently, people started noticing her there too. Not in a spectacle way. More in the subtle gym way, where lifters clock each other's numbers and form and make silent revisions to their assumptions.

She stopped looking like a beginner fast. Her body was just too responsive. By the second week of November, she was rowing weights that should've stalled a newcomer, pressing dumbbells overhead with a control that made the movement look natural on her, and squatting with the kind of solid mechanics people usually had to grind months for.

And every workout left marks. Not bruises, but evidence. A T-shirt that had fit one week now stretched more tightly across the shoulders the next. Sleeves that once brushed loosely over the upper arms now rode higher, gripping fuller delts and triceps when she moved. Her legs thickened enough that leggings and jeans alike had started to reveal the shape of her quads more clearly, especially the sweep along the outer thigh and the dense line above the knee. Even her calves had begun to stand out when she wore cropped pants, forming rounded curves that weren't there before.

One night after upper body, we stood at the dumbbell rack putting weights back. Lena was in a dark blue tee with the sleeves rolled twice. That had been a mistake on my part, because now I had to look at her arms in profile under fluorescent gym lighting and act normal.

The pump had made everything sharper. Her delts looked fuller, pressing smoothly against the edge of the sleeves. Her biceps had swelled enough to create a distinct rounded front to the upper arm, and her triceps gave the back a thick, sculpted line. When she grabbed the rack to steady herself while stretching one shoulder, the muscles in her forearm jumped visibly under the skin, stronger and denser than they'd been a week ago. There was even the beginning of definition at the seam where shoulder met arm, a subtle groove that only appeared because both parts had grown enough to separate.

Lena caught her reflection in the mirror. Then she slowly bent one arm. The rolled sleeve stopped her halfway up, cinched tight against the lower edge of her bicep.

She stared. Then she looked at me. "My shirts are losing," she said.

I laughed despite myself. "Yeah. A little."

"A little?" She rotated her arm, watching the muscle hold shape even after she relaxed. "Evan, I think I have an actual bicep now."

"You do."

There was a beat of silence. Then she smiled. A small, private, pleased.

I had to look away.

That same week, she asked me to help move equipment for the department's senior showcase. Normally that would have meant me doing the lifting while everyone else navigated doors and pretended to help. This time, Lena picked up the awkward end of a lighting crate before I could tell her to leave it. She handled it. Not barely. Not with effort spilling all over her face. She just set her stance, gripped, and lifted. I grabbed the other side a second late.

"You didn't have to prove a point," I muttered as we carried it down the hall.

"Maybe I wanted to."

"You are enjoying this too much."

"Yes," she said immediately.

I glanced over. Her forearms were tense around the crate handles, tendons and muscle lines standing out more than I'd ever seen on her. The sleeves of her Henley had already been pushed to her elbows, and the upper arms beneath looked compact and powerful, full even without a flex. The extra height she'd gained made her stride longer too, more even with mine than before.

When we set the crate down, Lena rolled her shoulders and smiled to herself. Then she checked the display on the wall-mounted measuring chart the theater kids used for costume alterations.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Settling an argument with my bathroom doorframe." She stepped back against the chart.

I stared.

A month ago she'd been maybe 5'4" and change. Now she stood just over 5'7".

I actually laughed once from sheer disbelief. "No way."

Lena stepped away and looked at the mark. "Oh my God." For the first time since this all started, she looked genuinely stunned. "I was not this tall in September."

"No," I said quietly. "You definitely were not."

She turned to me, eyes wide, then looked down at herself. The stronger shoulders, the thicker arms, the longer legs in dark jeans now fitting closer through the thighs. "This is insane," she said.

"Yeah."

"But," She touched the side of her own arm, almost reverently. "Kind of incredible?"

That should have worried me. Instead, all I could think was that she looked terrifyingly good saying it.

Chapter 5 – Catching Up

I spent the first half of December trying not to compare us. The second half failing. It had started as a private little panic every time Lena seemed slightly taller or stronger or more physically present than the week before. But once the changes pushed past subtle, comparison became automatic.

Standing side by side outside class. Passing each other in a doorway. Reaching for the same box in the equipment room. Warming up on neighboring benches in the rec center.

My brain did the math before I asked it to. Her shoulders weren't as broad as mine yet, but they were close enough now to make the gap feel temporary. Her arms, though shorter, had become startlingly dense. More shape than I would have guessed possible on her frame two months earlier. Her legs had overtaken mine in visible development already. Quads thicker. Glutes stronger. Calves more pronounced. And the height difference that had once made her seem almost delicate beside me had narrowed to something I could feel with ugly clarity whenever she stepped in close.

She noticed it too. Not the AI, not the origin. Just the competition that had begun to creep into the space between us.

At first it surfaced as jokes. "You're using the forty-fives? Cute." "You call that depth on your squat?" "Do I need to start shopping in the tall section now?"

Then, gradually, the jokes stopped sounding entirely like jokes. One night after finals prep, we ended up nearly alone in the rec center weight room because everyone else on campus had apparently chosen misery in the library instead.

Lena wore black leggings and a fitted charcoal athletic top with long sleeves. That shirt should probably have been classified as a dangerous weapon. The fabric hugged every line her body had built. Her delts stood out immediately, rounded and full under the sleeves. The upper arms filled the fabric so thoroughly now that movement made the seams shift over muscle instead of skin and air. When she stretched across the squat rack to adjust a collar, the top pulled over her back and revealed more width there too. More lat, more upper-back density, a stronger spread through the shoulders. Her thighs looked powerful enough to drive through the floor. With the height she'd gained, her whole silhouette no longer read as compact. It read as athletic. Commanding.

She caught me looking in the mirror. "You gonna warm up," she asked, "or just admire my form from across the room?"

My mouth went dry. "What?"

Lena's smile sharpened. "Relax. I said form."

I turned away, heart hammering for reasons I refused to inspect.

We were doing deadlifts that night. I pulled first. Good set. Heavy enough to feel satisfying.

Then Lena stepped up. Her setup had become efficient over the last month. Feet planted, hands set, back locked, eyes forward. No hesitation anymore. She moved like she trusted her body completely now. She lifted. One rep. Smooth. Two. Cleaner. Three. Still strong.

By the fifth, the backs of her arms and shoulders were so tense beneath the long sleeves that I could literally see the muscle shapes shifting through the fabric. The material clung to the round heads of her delts, stretched across the triceps, and tightened over her upper back as everything engaged. Her legs looked even more ridiculous. Quads braced thick and hard beneath the leggings, glutes and hamstrings powering the movement without any wobble.

She set the bar down and exhaled.

I realized I'd been staring again.

"Did I beat your set?" she asked.

"Not yet."

"Yet," she repeated. Then she grinned.

Afterward we moved to dumbbell rows, then shoulder press. That was where things got ugly for me. Lena pressed weights overhead with a steady rhythm that made her upper body look even bigger than it already had. Each rep drove the sleeves tighter over her shoulders and upper arms, the fabric pulled smooth over swelling delts and thickened triceps. By the last set, the long sleeves were practically outlining the musculature underneath. Rounded shoulder caps, fuller arms, strong forearms braced under the load.

When she lowered the dumbbells and shook her arms out, the pump stayed. She looked down at herself. Then up at me. "I think I'm getting kind of jacked."

I should have laughed. I didn't. "You are," I said.

Lena's expression changed a little at the tone in my voice. "How much?"

I hesitated.

She stepped closer. Close enough now that I could feel exactly how much the height gap had closed. She used to land somewhere around my upper chest if we stood like this. Now she was high enough that eye contact felt easier. More level. More dangerous.

"How much?" she repeated.

So I told her. "Your shoulders are bigger. Your arms are," I stopped, recalibrated. "A lot more muscular. Your legs are bigger than mine now, probably. And you're definitely taller."

Lena listened without joking. Then, slowly, she bent one arm. The long sleeve tightened instantly over her bicep. Beneath the dark fabric, the muscle rose high and full enough to create a visible peak line through the cloth, while the back of the arm thickened under the tricep. Even covered, it was obvious now. There was too much size there to hide.

"Wow," she said softly, looking at it. "That's, wow."

I was still looking at her arm when she lowered it. "You really didn't notice at first, did you?" she asked.

"Notice what?"

"How much you were paying attention."

I went very still.

Lena held my gaze for one long, unreadable second. Then she picked up her water bottle and walked toward the stretching area, leaving me with no idea what exactly she meant or why my pulse had started slamming against my throat.

Chapter 6 – Taller

Winter break didn't stop it. If anything, the changes accelerated. Without the daily campus routine to distract me, I noticed everything more clearly. Lena and I stayed in town for the first part of break because of showcase prep and our final project revisions. The rec center ran on reduced hours. The campus emptied out. The whole world felt narrowed down to cold air, fluorescent buildings, and the increasingly impossible fact of Lena Park turning into someone I could no longer pretend was merely 'getting toned.'

She was training four days a week by then. Actually training. Tracking lifts. Asking for programming advice. Eating more because she said she was "hungry all the time now," which I knew exactly matched the branch of the renders I'd made and tried very hard not to think about. Her body responded like dry ground taking rain.

The first time I saw her after three days apart, I actually stopped in the doorway of the editing suite.

Lena was standing at the far table in dark joggers and a plain white long-sleeve shirt, sorting through printed presentation notes. She looked up.

And for one dizzy second, my brain failed to place her. Not because she looked like a different person. Because she looked like a stronger version of herself than even yesterday's memory had prepared me for.

The shirt clung just enough to make the growth obvious everywhere. Her shoulders had become broad enough to dominate the top of her frame now, round and full beneath the white fabric. The sleeves were flat-out tight on her upper arms, stretched smooth over biceps and triceps that had grown into serious size. When she moved, the cloth shifted over muscle, tracing shape after shape. The cap of the shoulder, the front swell of the upper arm, the dense line at the back. Her chest and upper torso looked more built too, supported by a stronger upper back and more developed traps. Even standing still, she carried herself with a quiet heaviness I had only ever associated with other lifters.

And she was taller again. That part hit hardest. When I crossed the room, I realized with a sick little jolt that the top of her head was now close enough to mine that strangers would no longer clock us as very different heights at a glance.

"Why are you making that face?" she asked.

"I'm not making a face."

"You are."

I set my bag down. "Did you grow?"

Lena stared at me for half a second, then burst out laughing. "That is such a deranged question."

"You did, though."

She straightened, instinctively checking herself against me. Then her laughter faded. "Oh," she said.

Yeah. Oh. We stood closer, both pretending this was normal. The difference between us had shrunk to almost nothing. I was still taller. Barely.

Lena's eyes widened a little as she realized it too. Then she looked down at her own body. The tight sleeves, the stronger shoulders, the thickened legs under the joggers, and made a sound halfway between disbelief and delight. "No way," she whispered.

I should have been alarmed by how pleased she sounded. Instead I was distracted by how close she was and how impossible it had become to think of her as the slight, hoodie-swallowed girl from the start of the semester.

That evening in the gym, the line finally broke. We were side by side at the cable station doing curls as a finisher, more for the pump than anything else.

Lena had switched to a short-sleeve tee because she said her long sleeves were "starting to feel personally insulting" during arm work. That turned out to be a terrible development for my concentration. Without sleeves, there was no softening effect from fabric. No ambiguity. Her arms had become openly, unapologetically muscular.

Her delts were capped and rounded, giving the shoulders a sculpted, athletic width. The biceps beneath were no longer beginner gains or pretty little definition lines. They had real fullness now, rising into strong compact peaks when she curled. The triceps were thicker still, shaping the backs of her arms into powerful curves that looked hard even before a flex. Her forearms had developed matching density, enough that every grip adjustment made new lines appear along them.

She finished a set and held the last contraction for a second too long. The bicep swelled.

I stopped mid-rep. Lena noticed immediately. "What?"

I set the handle down. "Nothing."

"That was not nothing."

"You've just," I gestured vaguely and hated myself for it.

She stared for another moment, then raised her arm properly this time. A deliberate flex. Under the bright gym lights, her bicep surged upward, thick and high and undeniably larger than it had any right to be. The tricep behind it hardened into shape, the deltoid above it capping the whole arm like armor.

It wasn't bigger than mine. It was close enough to make me uncomfortable.

Lena looked from her arm to mine. Then back. And I saw the exact moment she realized it too. "Oh," she said softly.

There it was again. That same little word. This time it carried triumph. Not cruel. Not mocking. Just truth.

She stepped closer, still holding the flex, until our shoulders almost aligned.

Then she relaxed and looked up. And up. Just a fraction. No. Not up. Level.

I went cold.

"Evan," she said.

"Yeah?"

"I think I'm your height."

We stood back to back against the mirror. The reflection made it impossible to deny. Maybe the slightest difference remained, too small to matter. If I had still been ahead, it was by an amount measured in breaths.

Lena turned, eyes bright in a way I had never seen before. "I was five-four in September."

"I know."

"I'm," She laughed once in disbelief, touching the side of her own neck, then her shoulder, then her arm as though she needed tactile confirmation of all of it. "I'm built now."

There was no better word for it. She was.

Chapter 7 – Overtaken

It happened in January, one week before our final showcase. Not all at once. Not with thunder or lights or any clean cinematic marker. Just a series of plain facts that, taken together, ended the old version of things.

Lena was taller than me. Lena's legs were more muscular than mine. Lena's shoulders had reached mine. Lena's arms, depending on lighting, pump, and whether she'd trained that day, could look as big as mine or bigger.

And I had no idea what to do with any of that.

We met early one morning in the design building to run through the final project one last time before presenting. The campus was half-frozen, the windows silvered with January light, the halls quiet.

Lena came in wearing dark straight-leg pants, boots, and a fitted black sweater.

I knew immediately. Not because of some dramatic reveal. Because she had to duck her head slightly through the old editing room doorframe sticker we used as a joke height marker and I had never seen her do that before. Then she straightened and looked at me.

And there it was. She was taller. Not by much. Enough that I had to tip my head the smallest amount more than before to hold eye contact. Enough that the old physical certainty I'd carried around my whole life vanished in one silent, ordinary instant.

Lena saw me realize it. Her expression softened. Not smug, not mean. Just amazed. "No way," she said.

I laughed once under my breath because what else was there to do? "Yeah," I said. "Way."

She set her bag down slowly, then stood a little straighter as if testing the reality of her own spine.

The sweater made the rest worse. Black knit pulled close across a body that had become almost absurdly athletic over the course of a semester. Her shoulders pressed broad and rounded under the fabric, creating a strong upper line that rivaled mine outright now. The sleeves fit like they'd been designed for a smaller person. Which, technically, they had. They stretched over biceps and triceps that filled them so completely I could see the contour of her arms even at rest. When she folded her arms, the sweater tightened across her forearms and upper arms alike, making the thickness there impossible to ignore.

Her legs in the dark pants were even more imposing. The thighs carried enough muscle now to shape the fabric from hip to knee, strong quads and hamstrings giving her stance a solid, grounded look that made mine feel suddenly less impressive by comparison. The added height amplified all of it.

She didn't just seem more muscular. She seemed larger. More physically dominant.

Lena looked down at herself, then back at me. "I really did it," she murmured.

I shouldn't have asked the next question. "Did what?"

She smiled. "Caught up."

Before I could answer, she set her notebook aside and bent one arm, almost absentmindedly, like she still couldn't quite stop testing the reality of her own body. The sweater sleeve tightened hard around her upper arm. Even through the thick knit, her bicep rose in a dense, rounded swell that clearly strained the fabric outward. The tricep behind it made the whole upper arm look thick and powerful, and the shoulder above stayed broad and capped, anchoring the shape with more size than I remembered from even the week before.

Lena stared at it. Then looked at me. "Do you think," she asked quietly, "that this is bigger than yours?"

I should have lied. Instead I stepped closer. Too close, probably.

Her arm was still flexed, the sweater stretched taut enough to show where the curve peaked under the fabric. I raised my own arm without thinking, the old reflex of comparison kicking in. Side by side.

My stomach dropped. Mine was still strong. Still respectable. Still mine. Hers looked fuller. Denser. Maybe not by much. Enough.

Lena inhaled sharply when she saw it. Then she laughed. Not loudly, just one breath of astonished disbelief. "Oh my God," she whispered.

I was still staring at our arms when she lowered hers. "Evan," she said after a long second. There was something new in her voice now. Something steadier. More aware.

I looked up. She was very close. Taller. Broader than before. Stronger in every visible way. And for the first time since this began, I stopped pretending my attention to her had ever been purely technical. Not because I said it. Because I couldn't hide it anymore.

Lena must have seen something change in my face, because her expression shifted too. Some mix of realization, curiosity, and the same slow warmth I'd been refusing to name in myself for weeks.

Neither of us spoke for a moment.

Then she smiled, small and knowing. "So," she said, "you gonna tell me why you've been staring at me like a science experiment all semester?"

I exhaled. "Because I'm an idiot."

She laughed. "That," she said, "I already knew."

Then she stepped past me toward the projector controls, brushing my shoulder with hers on the way. The contact was brief. What stayed with me was the fact that her shoulder felt harder than mine.

Epilogue

We presented the project two days later. It killed.

The faculty loved the progression work, the consistency, the realism of the physical transformation sequence. One professor even commented that the renders felt "surprisingly grounded in bodily logic," which nearly made me pass out on the spot. Lena handled the Q&A like she handled everything else by then. With calm, amused confidence and the kind of posture that made people unconsciously take half a step back to give her room.

She wore a dark blazer over a fitted top. Even then, her arms shaped the sleeves.

By the end of the day, we were alone in the lab packing equipment into cases. Lena lifted one end of a packed camera trunk before I could reach it. Effortless.

I grabbed the other side and she looked at me, smiling. "What?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Nothing."

"Liar."

We carried the case together down the hall. At the elevator, she leaned back against the wall and crossed her arms. The blazer tightened over her biceps at once, pulling across shoulders broad enough now to challenge the seams.

"You still haven't answered my question," she said.

"Which one?"

"Why you were really staring."

I looked at her. Really looked. At the extra height that now put her just above me. At the stronger line of her jaw and neck from better posture and thicker muscle. At the broad shoulders, the filled sleeves, the thighs that made her stance look planted and powerful. At the confidence she wore now. Not vanity, not arrogance, just the settled awareness of someone who had grown into strength and liked the fit of it.

Then I told her the truth. "At first?" I said. "I don't think I knew."

"And now?"

Now took a little longer. Lena waited, one eyebrow raised.

The elevator hummed somewhere above us.

I smiled despite myself. "Now," I said, "I'm pretty sure I do."

For the first time all day, she looked almost shy. Almost.

Then the elevator dinged, and she pushed off the wall. As she stepped in, she glanced back at me with a smile that was equal parts challenge and invitation.

"Well," she said, "try to keep up."

hatour

⚡ Support Saradas
Keep the archive alive with Bitcoin
BTC QR
1QDxcxUx8pnsZvauyVxTqaJrWkeNhQrPdK
Donate →