⚡ Support Saradas
Keep the archive alive with Bitcoin
BTC QR
1QDxcxUx8pnsZvauyVxTqaJrWkeNhQrPdK
Donate →
NEWS
Welcome to Saradas – The premier female bodybuilding archive.
Support Saradas Keep the archive alive with Bitcoin
BTC QR
1QDxcxUx8pnsZvauyVxTqaJrWkeNhQrPdK Donate →
Main Menu

A Hero's Journey

Started by spoonmaster, March 20, 2025, 06:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoonmaster

Hey all, it's been awhile. 

I've come up with the beginning of a new story.  This first part sets the stage for what's to come.  Hopefully it's an okay read, though it's mostly just set up.

FYI, I usually find writing this set up tedious.  I always just want to get to the good stuff. So, I enlisted the help of AI to do most of the grunt work.  I hope you like it.


**********************





A Hero's Journey



Chapter 1: The Prodigy



The studio lights were bright, hot. The cameras were rolling. The sound of murmuring producers and shuffling crew members filled the space. Everything was primed for the biggest sports interview of the year.

Sitting in the plush chair across from Tyler Novak, Jamie Sullivan barely looked aware of it.  She was poised, legs crossed, arms resting lightly on the armrests. The way she carried herself...calm, effortless, almost lazy...was in complete contrast to the tension humming through the room.

But what struck him most wasn't the ease in her posture or the way she seemed immune to nerves. It was her.  He'd interviewed Olympic champions, models, movie stars, but no one quite like Jamie Sullivan.

The camera was rolling, but Tyler found himself staring. Her hair, long and golden, cascaded in thick waves over her shoulders, catching the studio lights in just the right way. Her deep blue eyes, framed by naturally long lashes, seemed to look straight through him. Even the slight smile on her lips was disarming, as if she knew something he didn't...some grand secret about the universe, or maybe just about herself.

And that was the thing. It wasn't just how she looked, though God help him, she looked like she'd been sculpted by an artist who got carried away, it was her presence. There was an easy confidence in her, a quiet, unfazed kind of grace. He had interviewed hundreds of world-class athletes—most of them came in with rehearsed soundbites and puffed-up bravado. Jamie Sullivan sat there like none of this was particularly impressive to her.

He cleared his throat, finally looking away from her just long enough to find his first question on the notepad in front of him.  "Jamie, first of all, thank you for being here. We know this is a big moment for you. How are you feeling heading into what some are calling the defining moment of your career?"

Jamie tilted her head just slightly, as if she were considering the question more seriously than it deserved.  "Well," she said, tucking a loose strand of golden hair behind her ear, "I think that depends on what you mean by 'defining moment.'"

He chuckled. "Alright, let's go back, then. Tell me about how you got here. Let's start from the beginning. You were a child model, a straight-A student, a naturally gifted athlete and, of course, one of the greatest gymnasts this country has ever seen. What was that like?"

Jamie shifted slightly in her seat. "It was... interesting."

Tyler raised an eyebrow. "Just interesting?"

"I mean, all those things certainly are a part of me, but it was more like... laying the foundation for what was to follow, even the gymnastics. It wasn't until..."  She pauses, her eyes shifted slightly, losing focus.  Even years later, the memory was strong.  "...until... after... that I really started to become the person you see here before you today."  

He gave her his warmest, reassuring smile, trying to convey that this was a safe space, a space where it was okay to open up.  "Well, everyone likes a compelling origin story.  So let's start at the beginning."

"Well I was an only child.  My parents are Jack and Erin Sullivan.  They actually knew each other since grade school.  They were both in a youth group together."

"And what were they like?"

A warmth washed over her face as she spoke of her parents.  "They were simple, modest people who believed in hard work and earning your keep.  My father was a line worker at Allison Transmission and my mother stayed home and kept a neat, organized, cozy house, and raised me."

"And this was in Indiana?"

"Yes, right outside of Indianapolis."

"In the city?"

"No, we lived in an apartment in Danville.  My dad didn't make a lot of money, so we lived quite simply."

"Well, your dad didn't make a lot of money, but you did, didn't you?"

Jamie's face blushed a bit, as though embarrassed.  "Well, yeah, for a little while."

"Tell me about that?"



*****


It was a warm spring afternoon, the kind where the sun painted everything gold and the air carried the scent of freshly cut grass. Danville's small park was buzzing with the laughter of children, the creak of swings, and the rhythmic thump-thump of sneakers against the rubberized playground floor.

In the middle of it all, little Jamie Sullivan was giggling as she toddled through the grass, her chubby little legs moving with surprising steadiness for a one-year-old. She had just learned to walk a few months ago, but already, she moved with a kind of effortless grace that seemed unnatural for someone so small.

Her blonde curls bounced with every step, and her big, impossibly blue eyes sparkled with mischief as she reached out toward a butterfly fluttering past. She let out a delighted squeal, stumbling after it, her dimples deepening as she laughed.

Her mother, sitting on a nearby bench, watched with a warm smile, while her father stood close by, arms ready in case she took a tumble—not that she ever really did.

Nearby, another father was watching.  He was a man in his mid-thirties, dressed casually in jeans and a polo, with an expensive watch on his wrist. His own toddler sat in the sandbox, shoveling handfuls of sand into a plastic bucket with the intense focus only a two-year-old could manage.  But the man's attention kept drifting toward Jamie.

She was mesmerizing. Not just adorable, but striking. The kind of child people stopped to look at without even realizing they were doing it. Her golden hair, her luminous eyes, the way she seemed to shine in the sunlight. She wasn't just cute—she looked like she had stepped straight out of a picture-perfect advertisement.

Finally, he turned toward Jamie's parents. "Excuse me," he said, stepping forward with a friendly smile. "Is she yours?"

Jamie's mother looked up, nodding as her husband crossed his arms, giving the man a wary once-over. "Yes, this is Jamie."

The man chuckled. "She's... unbelievable. I mean, wow. I don't think I've ever seen a kid this photogenic in real life."

Jamie's father raised an eyebrow, still not sure what to make of the stranger. "Uh... thanks?"

The man laughed, holding up his hands. "Sorry, I should introduce myself. My name's Mark Adler. I work in advertising, children's fashion mostly. And I have to say, your daughter is exactly the kind of child we look for in print ads."

Jamie's mother's eyes widened slightly. "You mean... like, modeling?"

"Exactly," Mark said, nodding enthusiastically. "I can't promise anything, of course, but with a face like that?" He gestured toward Jamie, who at that moment was crouched down, examining a ladybug with rapt curiosity. "She could be on magazine covers."

Her parents exchanged a glance. The idea was... unexpected. They weren't the kind of people who had ever considered something like this. But then they looked at Jamie—so full of life, so effortlessly beautiful, drawing attention without even trying.

And maybe, just maybe, this could be something special.



*****



Jamie leaned back in her chair, smirking slightly as she finished the story. "And that's how it started. A random afternoon at the park."

Tyler chuckled, shaking his head. "That's unbelievable. You were literally discovered just being an adorable baby."

Jamie shrugged. "I guess. I was too young to care. My mom always told me I just thought it was a fun game."

He smiled. "And did you like it?"

Jamie hesitated just slightly before answering. "I didn't hate it," she admitted. "But it wasn't something I was passionate about. It was just... something I did."

Tyler leaned forward slightly, intrigued. "That seems to be a theme with you. Excelling at things without really loving them."

Jamie's lips curled up into a knowing smile. "Yeah. It took me a while to figure out what I actually loved."

Tyler nodded, clearly intrigued. "So your modeling career took off after that?"Jamie leaned forward slightly, resting her elbows on her knees. "Yeah. It was kind of surreal. One day, I was just a normal kid at the park, and the next, I was in front of cameras, wearing designer baby clothes, posing for magazine covers."

He chuckled. "And you were making real money from it?"

"Oh yeah," Jamie said with a smirk. "More money than my dad was making at the factory, that's for sure. My parents were shocked at how much companies were willing to pay for a cute kid in a dress."

Tyler raised an eyebrow. "And you were what? Two? Three?"

Jamie nodded. "It started when I was one, and by the time I was four, I was basically a pro at it. I didn't know anything else. I'd go to photo shoots, smile when they told me to, wear whatever they put on me, and then go home and play like any other kid. I wasn't thinking about money or careers. I was just having fun."

He took a beat, consulting his notes.  "You know I already talked to Derek Mills, right?"

Jamie winced a bit at the name.  "Yeah, I figured you would."

"You know, he told me a story that happened around that time."

Her eyes popped open a bit.  "He did?!"



*****



Derek Mills sat on a checkered picnic blanket, chubby fingers clutching a half-eaten peanut butter sandwich. The sun was warm, the grass was soft, and—most importantly—everyone was paying attention to him.

"Aren't you just the cutest little guy!" his aunt cooed, ruffling his thick brown hair.

"Such a strong boy!" his uncle said, playfully squeezing his arm.His parents beamed, and Derek soaked it in. He liked being the center of attention. It was where he belonged.

Then, suddenly, everything changed.

A ripple moved through the crowd of family and friends. Heads turned. Conversations stopped. The warmth of their attention vanished. Derek frowned. What's happening?  He turned to see what everyone was looking at—and there she was.

A little blonde girl, barely more than a baby herself, perched on a picnic table, kicking her feet as an adult adjusted the bow in her hair. She was dressed in a frilly little outfit, and—worse—a camera was pointed at her.

Snap!

Everyone cooed and clapped as she giggled, flashing dimples so perfect they made the grown women swoon.

"She's adorable!" someone gushed.

"What a natural!" another said.

Derek's grip on his sandwich tightened. His little chest burned with something he had never felt before.  He didn't understand why—just moments ago, he was the one getting all the attention. But now? Now nobody was looking at him. They were all looking at her.

And for the very first time, Derek Mills hated Jamie Sullivan.



*****



Jamie looked stunned!  "Are you serious!  All the way back then!  He's hated me that long!?"

Tyler smirked.  There was nothing a reporter loved better than catching an interviewee off guard.  "Yep.  The first in a long list of "slights" that he shared with me."

"A long list!  I honestly didn't know he existed back then.  Even when I was aware of him, I hardly ever gave him a second thought... at least... not until much later."

"I know, he told me.  That infuriated him by the way... that you didn't pay him much mind."

Jamie flopped back in her chair.  The first time he'd seen her flustered.  Maybe she was human after all.  "What else did he tell you?"

"We'll get to that."  He didn't want to give away all his secrets yet.  If he timed them right, who knew what fruits they might bear.  "We'll get to that later.  Right now I'd like to continue with your modeling career.  So you were modeling, making some good money for your family, and then, that all stopped when you started school?"

Jamie's expression turned thoughtful. "Yeah. My parents decided that modeling had been fun, but it wasn't something they wanted interfering with my education. They didn't want me growing up thinking I could just coast through life on my looks. So the moment I started kindergarten, they pulled me out—cold turkey."

The interviewer blinked. "Just like that?"

"Just like that," Jamie confirmed. "I had agencies calling, photographers wanting me for more shoots, brands offering even bigger deals—but my parents said no. They turned down all the money, all the opportunities, because they didn't want it to affect my childhood."

Tyler let out a low whistle. "Most parents would have killed for that kind of opportunity."

Jamie smiled. "Yeah. But my parents aren't like most parents. They enjoyed the simple life, and they never wanted to be the kind of parents who lived through their kid's success. They wanted me to have a normal childhood, to focus on school, to make my own path."

"And how did you feel about it?"

Jamie shrugged. "I didn't care. Like I said, modeling was never something I loved. It was just something I did. I didn't miss it. I had school, I had sports, I had my best friend, Dawn. My life kept moving."

Tyler studied her for a moment. "And yet, even without modeling, you still found a way to stand out."

Jamie chuckled. "Yeah... I guess that was inevitable."

The interviewer smiled, sensing there was still so much more to uncover. "Alright, let's talk about that. You weren't just a straight-A student—you had perfect grades.  According to what I've been able to learn, you never missed a single point on any assignment or test... ever!"

"Like I said, my parents believed in hard work.  'If you're going to do something, you might as well do it well' is what my dad would always say."

"Yeah, but not missing a single point on any assignment ever!  That's not just hard work... that's... unbelievable!"

She just shrugged, as though never being wrong about anything was no big deal.  "I don't know what to tell you, that's just how things have always happened for me.  When I put my mind to something, there's nothing I can't do."

"Must be nice."

Jamie shook her head slightly and let out a long sigh.  "It's a blessing for sure... but also a bit of a curse."

"And that being good at everything you put your mind to included sports as well.  You weren't just good at sports—you were unstoppable. Let's dig into that."

Jamie's expression didn't change. If anything, she almost looked bored by the idea of talking about it."Sure," she said. "Let's talk about that."

Tyler leans forward, intrigued. "So, Jamie, you didn't start out as a gymnast. How did you first get into sports?"

Jamie smiles, a nostalgic glint in her deep blue eyes. "I grew up in a neighborhood full of boys. If I wanted to play with them, that meant playing sports."

Tyler chuckles. "And how did that go?"

Jamie shrugs casually. "At first, it was great. We were just kids, and it didn't matter that I was a girl. We played baseball in the streets, raced bikes down the hills, and tackled each other in the grass. But then..." She pauses, choosing her words carefully. "Then they started realizing I was better than them."

He raises an eyebrow. "Better?"

Jamie nods. "A little faster. A little stronger. A little more coordinated. Just... a little better at everything." She leans back in her chair. "They didn't like that very much."

Tyler smirks. "You know, that is a great lead into another story Derek told me."

Jamie's eyebrows climb up her forehead. "Again!?  What did he say now?"



*****



Derek Mills stood in front of the soccer goal, his arms crossed over his chest. He wasn't here because he wanted to be, he was here because he was the biggest kid, and Coach said that meant he had to be the goalie.  It wasn't fair. He wanted to score goals, not just stand here while his team got destroyed.

The scoreboard read 4-0.  But it wasn't just that they were losing, it was who they were losing to.

Her.  That damned girl.  Jamie Sullivan.

Derek glared as she casually stole the ball from one of their best players. Kyle tried to get it back, but she ran so fast, her long blonde ponytail whipping behind her like a racehorse's tail.  The other boys on his team were soon left far behind her!

She cut through the defense like they weren't even there.  One kid lunged at her...she spun. He fell on his butt.  Another dove for the ball...she juked. Gone.

And now, she was right in front of him.  Derek braced himself, bending his knees. He was not going to let her score again. He refused.

Then...BAM!

The ball rocketed off her foot and slammed into his chest like a cannonball.  Derek gasped as all the air rushed out of his lungs. It felt like he'd just been hit by a truck.

But, he caught it!  His arms locked around the ball. It hurt like hell, but he held on!

The crowd was going crazy, cheering as loudly as he'd ever heard before!  He did it! He stopped her! He saved the goal!  He looked up, grinning...only to realize something was wrong.  His teammates weren't cheering. They looked...disappointed.

Jamie's team was celebrating.

Derek blinked in confusion.  Then, slowly, he turned and saw...the net... behind him.  Somehow, he wasn't standing in front of the goal anymore. He was inside it, two feet deep.

Jamie Sullivan had kicked the ball so hard it had blasted him backwards into his own goal!

Derek's face turned red-hot with shame. His hands trembled as he dropped the ball.  The referee blew the whistle.

5-0.

Jamie just smiled, clapping hands with her teammates. She didn't even seem to notice him.

But Derek noticed her.  And he hated her.



*****



"Wow.  I had no idea.  Well, as you can imagine, they stopped inviting me to play," Jamie continues, her tone distant, as if she was reliving the events in a new light. "So I joined the girls' leagues instead."

"And how did that go?"

Jamie chuckles softly. "Well, let's just say it wasn't much of a challenge."



*****



The sun hung low in the sky as ten-year-old Jamie Sullivan stepped up to the plate, gripping the bat with effortless confidence. She wasn't nervous, she never was. But the opposing team certainly was. The outfielders instinctively shuffled backward, whispering among themselves.

"Back up! It's her!" one of them warned.

The pitcher, a nervous girl who had already seen Jamie crush a ball earlier in the game, licked her lips and made a decision. She wasn't going to let that happen again. Instead of giving Jamie anything hittable, she lobbed a slow, high pitch so far outside the strike zone that the umpire called it a ball before it even got to the plate.

Jamie knew what was happening, the pitcher was trying to walk her. It wasn't the first time.  She could have taken the walk, maybe she should have taken the walk... but that wasn't Jamie's style.

The next pitch came in just as bad, but Jamie swung anyway. The crack of the bat against the ball was so loud it made heads turn on the nearby soccer field.  The ball rocketed into the air, soaring far over the outfielders' heads.  For a moment, the entire field froze in stunned silence. Then, as the ball disappeared toward the treeline, chaos erupted.

The outfielders turned and sprinted after it, their legs pumping, their arms flailing. But they had no chance, Jamie was already rounding second.  By the time the first outfielder even reached the ball, Jamie was touching home plate with a light step, barely winded.

Her teammates cheered. The opposing team groaned. And Jamie? She just gave an apologetic shrug, as if to say, Sorry, I had to swing at something.

From the bleachers, Jamie's mom exchanged a knowing glance with her dad. This was getting ridiculous.  After the game, her parents sat her down.  "Jamie, honey," her mom said, "I think it's time we find you something a little more... challenging."



*****



"Did the girls resent you the way the guys did?"

"Some of them did, the ones who were more into it.  Most of the other girls didn't care much for sports.  They thought I was some kind of superhero.  Others just thought I was weird."

Tyler's face softened as he regarded the girl with pity.  "Sounds like you had a pretty lonely childhood.

Jamie shrugged.  "Maybe I would have, except, I had Dawn."

Tyler smiled, clearly enjoying the way Jamie's story was unfolding. "You're talking about Dawn Johnson, your best friend"

Jamie's expression softened. The casual confidence she had been exuding shifted into something warmer, more personal. "Dawn," she said with a small smile. "Yeah. She's been my best friend since I was five. Honestly, she's one of the most incredible people I've ever met."

Tyler leaned in, sensing a story. "How did you two meet?"

Jamie chuckled, tilting her head as if recalling the moment. "It was the first day of kindergarten. I remember walking into the classroom, and all the other kids were running around, talking, playing with toys. But then, in the corner of the room, I saw this one girl—curled up on the floor with a notebook and a crayon, completely lost in her own world."

Tyler raised an eyebrow. "Drawing?"

Jamie nodded. "Yeah. But not just random doodles like other kids. She was creating something. I walked over, and she had drawn this amazing little world—mountains, rivers, tiny houses, little stick-figure people walking around. And there was this huge tree in the middle with swirling branches that stretched across the entire page."

Tyler smirked. "A little artist?"

Jamie grinned. "More than that. I sat down next to her and asked, 'What are you drawing?' She barely even looked up at me. She just said, 'A world.'"

Tyler blinked. "A world?"

Jamie nodded. "Yeah. And then she started explaining it to me—how the rivers were made of liquid silver, how the tree in the center was alive and could whisper secrets to anyone who listened. She told me that the little stick-figure people weren't just random—they each had names, families, stories. I was hooked. I had never met another kid who thought like that."

Tyler chuckled. "And just like that, you knew you had to be friends?"

Jamie's smile grew. "I think I already was her friend in that moment. I just sat there, listening to her talk, completely mesmerized. And then I asked her, 'Can I be part of your world?'"

Tyler tilted his head. "And what did she say?"

Jamie laughed. "She looked at me really seriously, like she was thinking it over, and then she said, 'Okay. But you have to follow the rules.'"

"And what were the rules?"

Jamie grinned. "Rule number one: Always use your imagination. Rule number two: Never say something is impossible. And rule number three..." She paused for dramatic effect. "You have to be my friend forever."

Tyler let out a low whistle. "Sounds like a solid contract."

Jamie nodded. "The best one I ever made."

"So what was it about Dawn that made her so special to you?"

Jamie's expression turned thoughtful. "I've always been... good at things. School, sports, whatever I tried—it all just came easily to me. But Dawn? She was passionate. She cared about things in a way I didn't understand at the time. She could take a blank piece of paper and turn it into something alive. She could look at the world and see things no one else saw. I admired that about her. Still do."

"Sounds like you two were meant to be friends."

Jamie nodded. "Yeah. We just fit. Where I was logical, she was creative. Where I was strong, she was thoughtful. She made me see the world in a way I never would have on my own."

Tyler leaned back, clearly impressed. "So before you became the most dominant athlete of your generation, before you became a global icon, you were just a little girl sitting on the floor of a kindergarten classroom, asking if you could be part of someone else's world."

Jamie's smile was wistful. "Yeah. And to this day, it's still the best world I've ever been part of." 

Tyler leaned forward, intrigued. "I'd like to get into your gymnastics career, but I have one more Derek story from this time of your life."

"Seriously?!"



*****



A circle of kids had gathered in the neighborhood park, their voices buzzing with excitement. At the center stood an eight-year-old Derek Mills, hands on his hips, chest puffed out, standing over his prize...a jagged, heavy rock.  The other boys had tried lifting it, one by one, and failed. But Derek? Derek was different.

With a confident smirk, he bent down, wrapped his fingers around the stone, and heaved. His arms trembled, but slowly, steadily, the rock lifted off the ground. He held it just long enough for everyone to see before letting it drop with a satisfying thud.

The other kids erupted in cheers. "Whoa, Derek! That's so heavy!"

Derek wiped dirt from his hands, basking in their admiration. "Told you I was the strongest."

Then, from behind them, a cheerful voice chimed in.  "Hey, can we borrow that rock?"

Heads turned.

Jamie Sullivan stood at the edge of the group, her long blonde ponytail swaying as she bounced on her toes. Beside her was Dawn Johnson, half-hiding behind her friend. Jamie grinned at the boys, completely at ease.

Derek scoffed. "Why?"

Jamie shrugged. "Me and Dawn are playing over there, and we need it for our game."

Derek snorted. "Yeah, right. You couldn't even pick it up."

Jamie blinked at him, then looked down at the rock. "Why not?"

"Because I could barely lift it," Derek said, standing taller, "and you're just a little girl."

The boys chuckled, nodding. It wasn't just that Derek had lifted it.  They all knew that Derek was the best!

"Oh," Jamie said simply. Then she crouched down, wrapped her hands around the rock, and with a cute little grunt, lifted.  The gathered boys gasped as the little girl lifted the rock off the ground, just the way Derek had! The weight of it made her arms tense and her balance shift slightly. But she did lift it, holding it steady in her hands.

"Wow," she murmured, tilting her head as she tested the weight. "That is really heavy!" She turned to Derek with a bright, earnest smile. "You must be super strong to have lifted this, Derek! That's amazing."

Derek's mouth fell open.

The other boys looked between them, not sure how to react. Derek had struggled with that rock. But Jamie... she wasn't even bragging. She wasn't mocking him. She was just—what? Impressed?

Derek felt his face heat up. He clenched his fists.

Before he could say anything, Dawn piped up. "Hey, Jamie? Grab that one too, it'll be perfect for a Ravenpuff hovel!"

Jamie blinked. "Oh! Good idea."

She tucked the large stone she was holding under one arm and then reached down and scooped up another one—smaller, but still a rock none of the other kids had managed to budge. Then she turned and jogged off.

"Thanks, Derek!" she called cheerfully over her shoulder.

The kids exploded into whispers. "She picked up both?" "Did you see that?" "She said he was strong, but she—"

Derek stood frozen, his face burning. The worst part wasn't just that Jamie had lifted the rock.

It was that she hadn't even realized she'd humiliated him.

And that made him hate her even more.


nickolai

Haven't even read this yet.  Just immediately replied to say, "YAY!!! You're back!"  So great to have another story from you.  I literally just reread Sarah's exploits at The Strong Arm Saloon yesterday.  And am quietly hoping Jamie discovers other women with dormant Amazon genes waiting to be awakened.

Anyway can't wait for dig in to this.

Wookey


spoonmaster

Hey, thanks for the kind words.  It's nice to know I have some fans.  Here's the next part.  Some more world building.  There will be a lot more story in this story than I usually write.  But there will get to some nice juicy powerful, unstoppable women at some point too.  Bear with me!



**************



Chapter 2: Born To Be Better


Tyler leaned forward, intrigued. "So after dominating rec sports, you turned to gymnastics. What was it that drew you in?"

Jamie tilted her head slightly, considering the question. "Well, in a way, I was always kind of into gymnastics, even before I ever set foot in a gymnastics class.  I was always rolling around, and tumbling, hanging from things, swinging around.  I guess you can say, when I was a little kid, I was kind of a monkey."

Tyler's lips curled up into an amused smile.  "Funny you should say that."

Jamie looked at him, confused... then she understood.  "Oh come on, seriously!"



*****



Derek Mills was the bravest kid in the neighborhood. No question about it.  All the kids climbed this tree, but no one had climbed as high as he had.  Two whole branches higher than anyone else!  He looked down at the other kids, all staring up at him, their eyes wide with amazement. As they should be.

"Wow, Derek!" one of them called. "You're so high up!"

"I know," he said proudly, puffing out his chest.

Then, a voice.  A girl's voice.

"Good job! You're really brave!"

Derek froze. His stomach twisted. He knew that voice.  It was her...Jamie Sullivan.  The girl his mom would not stop talking about.  The girl who got her picture in magazines. The girl who made grown-ups say annoying things like "Oh, isn't she just precious?"

Derek turned, and there she was, right next to him.  His mouth fell open in shock.  How?!  She hadn't been on the tree a second ago!  But now, she was everywhere.

She swung from a branch like it was nothing, flipping her legs up and wrapping them around another. She moved like...like a monkey!

The other kids gasped.  Then, before Derek could say anything, Jamie climbed higher.  And higher.  And higher.

She didn't even hesitate.  She reached the very top of the tree, standing on the highest, thinnest branch like she was born there.

Derek felt his hands get sweaty.  He looked up. Could he go that high?  He gulped.  He grabbed the next branch and tried to pull himself up.  But...he couldn't.  His heart pounded. His hands shook.  It was too high.

He looked down.  The other kids weren't looking at him anymore.  They were all looking at Jamie.

"Whoa!"

"She's amazing!"

"How'd she do that?!"

No one was talking about Derek.  They had forgotten him.  Derek's face burned with anger.


That stupid girl.



*****



Jamie just shook her head in disbelief! "Was there ever a time in his life when Derek didn't hate me?"

Tyler bent his head down and made a big show of looking through his notes. "Uh... let me see here.  It looks like.... NO!"

"Seriously, I had no idea!  If I would have known I... nevermind.  I guess there's nothing I can do about it now."  She stops and takes a deep breath.  "Anyhow, gymnastics.  It wasn't like the other sports I played," she said. "Softball, soccer, volleyball... Those were all about competing against other people. And, well..." She hesitated, her natural modesty kicking in, before settling on the gentlest way to put it. "That kind of competition didn't always feel... fair."

The interviewer chuckled knowingly. "Because you were too good?"

Jamie gave a small, almost sheepish smile but didn't confirm or deny it. Instead, she continued, "Gymnastics was different. It wasn't about beating someone else—it was about pushing myself. It was about control, precision, improvement. Every skill had to be perfected, every movement refined. If I failed, it wasn't because someone outplayed me; it was because I hadn't mastered it yet. That challenge kept me going."

The interviewer nodded. "So you found something that actually made you work for it?"

Jamie hesitated, then admitted, "At least at first."

The interviewer caught that. "At first?"



*****



The gym smelled like chalk and rubber mats, the air filled with the sounds of bouncing springs and rhythmic landings. Young girls lined up in leotards, stretching or chatting nervously as they waited for their turn to try the equipment. Jamie stood among them, her blonde hair pulled back in a neat ponytail, her deep blue eyes scanning the gym with quiet curiosity.

Her new coach, a fit woman with sharp eyes and a clipboard tucked under her arm, approached. "Alright, Jamie, let's see what you can do," she said, gesturing to the open floor. "Just try some basic tumbling. Maybe a somersault or a cartwheel."

Jamie nodded and stepped forward. Most of the other girls had fumbled through awkward rolls and hesitant cartwheels, their movements stiff and unpolished. Jamie, however, took a deep breath and, without a moment of hesitation, launched into a roundoff, seamlessly transitioning into a back handspring and then a high, graceful backflip. She landed effortlessly, her feet sticking to the mat as if she'd done it a thousand times before.

The entire gym went silent.

The coach blinked, lowering her clipboard. "Uh... okay," she muttered, clearly caught off guard.

Jamie looked at her expectantly. "Was that good?" she asked, tilting her head.

The coach let out a breath of disbelief before recovering. "Yeah. That was... yeah. Where did you learn to do that?"

Jamie shrugged. "Nowhere, really. I just... thought that's what you meant."

Some of the other girls exchanged incredulous looks. A few scowled, already sensing that Jamie was different. Special.


The coach, meanwhile, was still processing what she'd just seen. Finally, she shook her head and muttered, "Alright... I think we're skipping the beginner class."



*****



Tyler raised his eyebrows. "So you just did a backflip? Just like that?"

Jamie smiled slightly, a hint of amusement in her eyes. "I guess so. It just felt... natural."

The interviewer leaned back, shaking his head. "And that was just the beginning."

Jamie's smile faded slightly, and for just a moment, something flickered in her expression. A memory. A thought. A turning point.


"Yes," she said softly. "Just the beginning.  I think I was around 7 when I started.  But already, my coach had me training with much older girls.  Even then, it wasn't long before I was doing things none of the other girls would even attempt.  'It's like you were born to do this' she used to tell me."

"And she was the one who recommended you tryout for the national team?"

"Yeah, I was around 9 years old and was just so far beyond anything that she was able to teach.  She told me I needed better instructors and facilities to realize my fullest potential.  She told me I had a real chance to be one of the best.  She recommended that I try to get on the Olympic training program.  Only thing was, you had to be 11 to qualify for the Olympic Hopefuls program."

Tyler consulted his notes.  "But you were only 10 when you entered the program."

"Yeah, my coach, Mrs Hansley, really went to bat for me.  She convinced them to let me tryout that summer before the fifth grade."



*****



The national training facility was massive, with rows of balance beams, vaulting tables, and endless mats stretching across the floor. Girls from all over the country were warming up, each one looking stronger, faster, and more polished than anything Jamie had ever seen.

She stood off to the side, stretching out her arms, trying to ignore the nerves twisting in her stomach. What am I even doing here? she thought. Most of these girls had been training seriously since they could walk. She had just been... having fun.

Her name was called. Jamie stepped forward onto the floor, her palms sweating as she took her starting position. She tried to tune everything else out, the whispers of other gymnasts, the clipboard-wielding judges watching intently, the sheer weight of the moment pressing down on her.

Just do what you always do.

She took a deep breath, then launched into her routine.

She moved with a level of power and fluidity that stunned the room. Every flip was higher, every landing sharper, every movement executed with a level of precision that seemed impossible for a girl her age. Where other gymnasts strained, she made it look effortless, as if gravity itself barely applied to her.

By the time she stuck her final landing, the entire gym was silent. The judges looked at each other, their expressions somewhere between shock and awe.

Jamie swallowed hard, stepping back in line, convinced she had made some kind of mistake. Had she messed up? Gone too fast? Were they disappointed?


Then one of the judges spoke. "Well... I think we've seen enough."



*****



Jamie laughed lightly, shaking her head. "I was so sure I had bombed. I kept thinking, I should have practiced harder. These girls were all older than me and have been training their whole lives. No way I'm good enough."

Tyloer smirked. "And then you just blew them all away."

Jamie shrugged modestly. "I guess. I didn't think about it that way at the time. I was just trying to keep up."

Tyler leaned in. "So, at ten years old, you were already one of the best young gymnasts in the country."

Jamie hesitated for half a second, as if the words still felt strange to her. Then, with a small, self-conscious smile, she nodded.


"I guess I was."

"How did the kids at school react to you being chosen for such a prestigious honor?"

Jamie looked surprised by the question.  "I don't really know.  I never really thought about it.  Why?"



*****



It was the first day of fifth grade, and Derek Mills had plans.

He was holding court at the end of the lunch table, surrounded by a pack of eager boys, all hanging on his every word. Derek leaned back in his seat like he owned the place, one foot on the bench, a confident smirk stretched across his face.

"So yeah," he said, cracking open his chocolate milk like it was a victory toast. "Coach Daniels said I'm one of the strongest kids he's ever seen for my age. I'm starting on defense for the travel football team this fall."

There were impressed gasps around the table.

"No way!"

"Dude, that's awesome!"

"Travel football? That's like, legit."

Derek nodded slowly, soaking it in. This was his moment. "Pretty sure that means I'll make varsity when we hit high school," he added, with a nonchalant shrug like it wasn't the biggest thing in the world.

Then he noticed the shift.  The cafeteria's energy changed. Something was buzzing, kids were whispering, pointing, rising from their seats.  It wasn't about him.

Derek frowned, twisting around in his seat. There was a growing crowd near one of the lunch tables.  Fifth graders, even a few fourth graders, all gravitating toward the same center of gravity.

And of course, there she was, Jamie Sullivan.

She was sitting calmly beside that weird art friend of hers, Dawn Johnson, who was scribbling something in a notebook and not paying attention to the commotion. Jamie, meanwhile, looked like she had no clue why half the cafeteria was suddenly orbiting her.

Derek's eyes narrowed. She looked like every other ten-year-old girl. 4'7", skinny, plain, with a lean, slightly awkward build. The only thing remotely interesting about her was that ridiculous long blonde ponytail, and even that was annoying.

He flagged down a kid moving past their table. "Hey, what's going on over there?"

The kid turned, face lit up with excitement. "You didn't hear? Jamie got accepted into the Olympic Hopeful program for gymnastics."

Derek blinked. "She what?"

"Yeah! She's the youngest girl ever to be accepted. It's, like, national-level elite stuff. Everyone's talking about it."

And just like that, he ran off to join the crowd.

Derek sat frozen. His milk felt warm in his hand.  Olympic Hopefuls?  Youngest ever?  His ears burned as the laughter and admiration around Jamie grew. Even his friends were starting to look over.

"She's gonna be in the Olympics one day."

"I heard she can already do flips on the balance beam!"

"My sister said she saw her do, like, six cartwheels in a row without messing up!"

Derek's jaw tightened.  He had just been telling everyone about his football career, and then she had to come along and steal the spotlight without even doing anything. She didn't even stand up.  She just sat there, like always.  And like always, everyone looked at her.

He looked down at his lunch tray and stabbed his fork into his mashed potatoes.  Damn her.

Jamie Sullivan had no idea what she had just ruined for him.  But Derek Mills knew.  And he hated her for it.



*****



Jamie's face fell a little.  "I had no idea he felt that way.  Seriously.  I kind of feel bad for the guy in a way.  I mean, he's always been so talented.  I think he just got a scholarship to play at Michigan for next year."

Tyler nodded.  "He was Mr. Indiana in football last year.  And is considered one of the most fierce linebackers to come out of high school in quite some time."  He gave Jamie a coy smile.  "I guess in a way, you can say he owes some of that to you.  You certainly seemed to have driven him to excel."

She just shrugged.  "Maybe.  I doubt it though.  Derek was always such a gifted athlete and a driven competitor.  I'm sure he would have gotten there one way or the other"

"So back to gymnastics.  You were a part of the Olympic Hopefuls program.  Did you find that training harder than what you'd done before."

Jamie nodded.  "Definitely, at least at first.  I was the youngest girl there and everyone there was so talented and so driven.  It was strange to me that everyone was so close to my talent level, especially the older girls.  And it was good for me... it pushed me.  I always felt it was my responsibility to make myself worthy of the people who came before me.  So I worked as hard as I could.  The first year or two was brutal."



*****



The training center was quiet now. Most of the other gymnasts had finished their sessions, gone home, or collapsed in recovery. But one girl remained.

Jamie Sullivan, age 11, stood at the edge of the mat, chalk dust on her hands, sweat dripping down the back of her neck. She was barely 4'8" and 80lbs, still small, still lean, her figure that of a child, but there was already something unshakable in the way she stood. Her feet were planted, her eyes forward, her breath controlled.

Coach Ramirez crossed his arms, watching her.

"Again," he barked.

Jamie nodded, stepped forward, and launched into a tumbling pass: handspring, tuck, layout, twist, stuck. Her landing was solid. Clean.

For long moments, coach didn't say a word. 

"Harder," he finally muttered. "Add a second twist at the end."

Jamie didn't hesitate. She nodded again, turned, reset.  She ran, vaulted into the air, twisted twice, her body spinning like a gyroscope, and landed, a little off-balance but still on her feet.

Ramirez narrowed his eyes. "Again. Cleaner this time."

Jamie swallowed hard, her legs burning. But she didn't argue, she did it again.

And again.

And again.

Each time he pushed her...faster, higher, sharper. She missed once, landing in a hard roll. Another girl might've cried, or begged for a break. Jamie stood back up. Chalked her hands. Reset.

She was panting now. Her legs shook under her. Her face was flushed, her arms trembling as she took her mark again.

Coach Ramirez didn't stop her.  He was watching. Measuring. Testing.  He stepped closer. "Try the triple," he said quietly. "I don't care if you fall. I want to see if you'll even try."

Jamie nodded. No pause. No protest. She took a few steps, ran, launched up into the air.

One twist.

Two.

Three.

She landed on her knees, hard, sliding slightly forward on the mat.  Silence.  Then she stood.

Coach Ramirez stared at her, stunned. Not because she stuck the landing, she hadn't. But because she got up like nothing had happened.  She didn't cry, didn't wince, didn't ask how she'd done.  She just looked at him, steady, waiting, ready for more.

He slowly shook his head. "Jesus Christ," he muttered under his breath. "You're not even human."

Jamie didn't react, because she didn't care about praise. She wasn't doing it for the compliment.

She was doing it because her coach told her to.



*****



The studio lights hummed softly, and the cameras kept rolling, but for a moment, Tyler Novak just sat there in stunned silence.

He'd heard stories about Jamie's early training, everyone in the gymnastics world had, but hearing it directly from her, feeling the quiet intensity behind her words... it hit different.

Finally, he leaned forward, fingers laced loosely together. "So... you were eleven when you started training with the national program. And they were already pushing you that hard?"

Jamie gave a slow, deliberate nod. "Yeah. It was intense from the beginning. But that's how it was for all of us."

He raised an eyebrow. "Was it hard for you? Keeping up with school, training at that level, everything?"

Jamie hesitated for just a moment. "Hard? No... not really."

"Not really?" Tyler echoed, almost disbelieving.

She gave a small, thoughtful smile, the corners of her mouth tugging upward without any real joy behind it. "I mean, the training was brutal. But I didn't think of it that way. I just... did what I was told. If a coach said, 'Do it again,' I did it again. If they told me it wasn't good enough, I worked until it was. It never occurred to me to say no."

Tyler watched her carefully now. "That obedience... that kind of discipline—it's incredible. But it also sounds like..." He trailed off, unsure whether to push.

Jamie saved him from deciding. "It's just how I was wired. From the time I was little, I always listened to my coaches. No matter what. That's what got me where I am."

She looked away for a moment, something darker flickering behind her eyes. "It's also what almost ruined me."

The words hung in the air, cold and heavy.

Tyler's voice softened. "You're talking about Vince Callaway?"

She nodded, almost imperceptibly.

"Well, obviously we'll get there.  But I just want to flesh out your early gymnastics career first.  Not to pile on, but Derek had some things to say about how you used to juggle your school and gymnastics."

"Of course he did."



*****



The seventh-graders were groaning as Coach Thompson blew his whistle and barked the order.

"One mile. Four laps. You've got ten minutes, or you have to do it again until you get it under ten."

Whining rippled across the group like a bad wave. Kids dragged their feet, muttered under their breath, and dramatically clutched their sides like they were already out of breath.

All except Derek Mills, Derek was ready.  This was his moment.

At twelve years old, he stood over five-foot-four and was built thick and strong from two seasons of tackle football. His legs were solid, his chest broader than most, and unlike the rest of the whiny little losers around him, Derek was stoked. He was going to destroy this run.

He bounced on his toes, full of energy and confidence. Best of all? Jamie Sullivan wasn't there. Still off traveling from some stupid gymnastics competition or media thing; whatever. She was always missing school now, which was great.

Derek grinned to himself. For once, he was going to shine. No distractions. No gold-dusted prodigy to steal the spotlight.

Coach Thompson blew the whistle.

Derek took off.

Within seconds, he was at the front of the pack, pounding down the track like a champion. Every step fueled his ego. He imagined scouts watching from the bleachers. "Look at that Mills boy. What an athlete!"

He finished the first lap far ahead of anyone else, his chest puffed out, breathing strong, riding high on pride.

And then he saw her.  Derek's stomach dropped.  No. Way.

Sure enough, jogging up to the track in her P.E. shirt and shorts, her duffel bag slung over one shoulder, came Jamie Sullivan.

She was smaller than him, sure, maybe 4'11" and just 94lbs, but her presence was undeniable. Her legs were lean and quick, and even through the baggy gym shirt, Derek could see her starting to fill out. Her hips were widening, her back more V-shaped than it used to be. A hint of curve pressed against her chest. It wasn't much, just little bumps really, but everyone noticed.

Derek scowled.

Jamie jogged over to Coach Thompson. "Sorry, Coach. Flight landed late, but I can still get the mile in."

He nodded. "Hit the track. Four laps. Ten minutes. Go."

Jamie turned, pulled her golden hair up into a tight ponytail, and looked at Derek as he passed.

She smiled.  "Hi, Derek!"

Derek didn't answer. He grunted and kept running. She's a lap behind. She can't catch me.

She started running.  It was like a switch flipped.

Jamie glided across the track like she had rocket boosters in her shoes. Her stride was long and smooth, her pace steady but blistering. She didn't look like she was trying. She didn't look tired.

Derek pushed harder. His breath started coming in heavier bursts. Sweat dripped down his temple. She's still a lap behind. She can't catch me.


Except she was closing the gap.

She was already halfway through her first lap, his second, and she was flying.

Derek's jaw tightened. He picked up his pace. Just to make a point. He wasn't worried. She was a full lap behind.

But keeping up with her meant pushing harder than he wanted to this early. His legs started to ache. His breathing deepened.

As he crossed the line to start his third lap, he turned to look...Jamie was already down the back stretch.

Wait. What?

His heart skipped.  She had made up almost half a lap in one lap?

He pushed harder. His strides lengthened, but his form started to fall apart. His arms flailed a little wider. His breathing got noisy.

The other kids were watching now, heads turning as they saw what was happening.  Derek tried to keep her in his sights. But by the time he came around the next curve... She was gone.

He started his fourth and final lap, but Jamie was nowhere ahead of him.

Panic set in.  Where is she? Did she already—?

His legs were heavy now. A deep stitch stabbed at his side. Sweat trickled down his face. He gulped air in ragged gasps. His chest burned.

Still, he kept going.  He had to win. He had to beat her.

He rounded the final curve and saw the finish line ahead. Only forty yards left.  He was still ahead. She hadn't passed him.  Hope flared in his chest. He was going to do it!

Then—

FWOOOOOSH.

A blur blew past him on his left side.

He barely saw her. Just a flash of golden hair, toned legs, a lean, defined back, and that familiar ponytail snapping behind her.

It was like she had teleported.  The wind she carried hit him in the face as she passed.

Derek's heart sank.

She crossed the finish line a full ten yards ahead of him, gliding to a smooth stop like she could've gone another mile.

Derek stumbled across the line seconds later, bent double, gasping for breath, clutching his side like it was tearing in half.

Jamie turned around, barely even winded. Her cheeks were a little flushed, and her breathing was heavier, but controlled... measured.

"Good run," she said, smiling, hands on her hips. "I didn't think I'd catch up. You started really strong."

Derek couldn't speak, he could barely stand.  He was mortified!!  She didn't just beat him, she ran four laps faster than he could run three!  And he hated her for it, more than ever before.



*****



Tyler flipped through his notes, shaking his head with an almost incredulous smile. "Okay, so let's talk about when things really started to change. You were just twelve when you made the Women's Junior National Gymnastics Team, right?"

Jamie nodded. "Yeah. I'd been training with them for a while, but that's when it became official."

"And your first competition was the U.S. Gymnastics Championships?"

"That's right."

Tyler leaned forward, tapping the edge of his notepad. "And... I just want to make sure I'm reading this right. You didn't just win gold in your first national competition—you won gold in every single event."

Jamie gave a modest smile. "I did, yeah."

He blinked. "Vault, bars, beam, floor—all of them."

She nodded again.

"And," he said slowly, for dramatic effect, "you scored a perfect ten... on each one."

Jamie hesitated, just for a beat. "Yeah."

Tyler let out a breath that bordered on laughter. "Jamie... that's historic. I don't think there's anyone else in the modern era who's done that."

Jamie shrugged lightly. "It was a good day."

Tyler couldn't help but grin. "A good day? You just described the statistical equivalent of getting struck by lightning while winning the lottery."

She chuckled softly. "It didn't feel that way at the time. I was nervous out of my mind. My hands were sweating so much I almost slipped on the bars. I was convinced someone else was going to outscore me."

"Seriously?" Tyler asked. "Because from what I've seen, it looked like you were born for that stage."

Jamie smiled, almost wistful. "That's the thing. When I'm out there... competing, flipping, doing the routines—I don't feel nervous. Not really. The moment I move, it all disappears. I just go."

Tyler studied her, intrigued. "So how do you explain the perfect scores? Was it just a matter of the routine? Execution?"

Jamie thought for a moment. "I think it was just... one of those rare days. Everything clicked. I was healthy. Focused. The energy in the room was good. I wasn't trying to be perfect, I was just trying to do what I'd practiced."

"And what you'd practiced," Tyler said, leaning back, "was perfection."

Jamie tilted her head. "I guess so. My coaches always told me—'Don't shoot for ten. Shoot for flawless.' So that's what I did."

"And you got both.  Tell me, what did your classmates think about all of this."

"Well, I became a kind of instant celebrity.  But honestly, there was only one classmate of mine who I really cared about."



*****



The school hallway buzzed like a hive. Lockers slammed. Laughter echoed. Sneakers squeaked against waxed tile floors.

Jamie Sullivan stood in the middle of it all, surrounded by a swirling halo of girls, the most popular girls in school.

"Oh my God, you were amazing on TV!" one gushed, flipping her glossy hair over her shoulder.

"I watched your beam routine, like, five times in a row," said another. "I don't even like gymnastics, but you made it look so cool."

"You're, like... a celebrity now."

Jamie smiled politely. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other, clutching her books to her chest. The girls around her were so loud, so excited, so into it. Compliments kept coming...about her scores, her outfits, her hair.

She appreciated it. She did, but she didn't really get it.

She hadn't done anything special, she'd just done her routines the way she was taught. It hadn't felt like a big deal at the time. People clapping, scores flashing on a screen... and now this?

The voices around her blended together into white noise.  Then, over a shoulder, she spotted Dawn.

She was standing near the lockers, half-hidden, hugging her sketchbook to her chest. Her eyes were downcast, her ponytail a little messier than usual. She wasn't wearing makeup like the other girls. Just a loose hoodie, leggings, and that quiet sadness Jamie had learned to recognize in her best friend's posture.

Jamie didn't hesitate.

"Sorry, I'll be right back," she said, slipping out from the cluster of admirers.

"Wait—where are you going?" one of them called. "We were gonna ask if you wanted to sit with us at lunch!"

But Jamie was already gone.  She moved quickly down the hall, her sneakers making soft taps as she reached her friend. "Hey," she said gently.

Dawn looked up and forced a smile. "Hey."

Jamie tilted her head. "What's wrong?"

Dawn shrugged, her voice small. "Nothing. I just... I didn't want to bother you. You're famous now. I figured you'd be too busy for me."

Jamie blinked. "Wait—what?"

"You were with the cool girls," Dawn said, trying to keep it light. "It's fine. I get it. You're kind of a big deal now."

Jamie stared at her for a second. Then she dropped her books, wrapped her arms around Dawn, and pulled her into a tight hug.

"You are literally the coolest person I know," she said into her friend's shoulder. "You draw worlds, Dawn. You see things nobody else sees. I'm just some kid who flips around on a mat. My life would not be the same without you in it."

Dawn blinked, and her eyes got watery. "You mean that?"

Jamie pulled back and gave her a look like it wasn't even a question. "Always."

Dawn sniffed and laughed softly. "Okay. But I still think the cool girls are gonna hate me."

Jamie grinned. "That's fine. They're not even close to being as cool as you."

They walked to class together, side by side, and as they passed the group of wide-eyed girls still standing by the lockers, Jamie didn't even look back.



*****



Tyler adjusted the stack of notes in front of him and let out a short, disbelieving chuckle. "You know, it's almost hard to keep track."

Jamie arched an eyebrow, her posture still relaxed but her gaze sharp with curiosity. "Of what?"

"Your winning streak," Tyler said. He tapped the page. "After the U.S. Championships, you went on to compete in three more major events as a junior gymnast—The Junior Pan American Games, the International Youth Cup in Berlin, and the Pacific Rim Championships. That sound about right?"

Jamie nodded. "That's right."

Tyler glanced down, then looked back up at her with a shake of his head. "Gold medals. In every single event. Vault, uneven bars, balance beam, floor exercise, all-around. Every time you competed."

Jamie said nothing, her expression unreadable.

He leaned back, letting the silence stretch just a second longer before delivering the real kicker. "And not once—not once—did you score below a perfect ten."

The air between them hummed with the weight of it.

Jamie's mouth quirked into the faintest smile. "Well. I had really good coaches."


Tyler scoffed. "Come on. Jamie, that's more than just good coaching. That's... unprecedented."

Jamie didn't say anything. Just offered a small, modest shrug.

"But what was it like for you?" he asked. "I mean, how hard was it to maintain that level of perfection? All those gold medals, all those perfect scores... were you under pressure every time you stepped onto the mat?"

Jamie tilted her head slightly, thoughtful. "At first? Yeah. It was hard. Really hard."

She looked past him for a moment, as if sifting through memories. "I was just a kid, and everything was new. The travel, the judges, the expectations. I used to get butterflies just walking into the gym."

"And then?" Tyler asked.

"Then it got... easier," she said, her voice soft. "Like, a lot easier."

Tyler blinked. "Easier?"

Jamie nodded. "The routines, the elements... I just kept doing what they told me. I trained. I listened. I got better. And eventually, the stuff that scared me started to feel like second nature. After a while, gymnastics didn't really feel hard anymore. It just felt like... something I did."

Tyler frowned slightly, intrigued. "So you're saying... being the best gymnast in the world as a kid just became routine?"

Jamie gave a quiet laugh. "Kind of."


Then she leaned back in her chair, her voice light. "I remember one time—I was twelve or thirteen, I think—I was reading To Kill a Mockingbird for class, and I had a test coming up..."



*****



The gym buzzed with low energy. A few athletes finished up drills. A coach's voice barked in the background. The sound of chalk dust and mat squeaks filled the air.

Jamie Sullivan stood on the balance beam with her nose in a book.

She was thirteen, mid-growth spurt, just over 5'1" and 105lbs, her body lean and powerful, her form balanced with the grace of someone who'd spent half her life ten feet in the air. Her arms and legs showed the beginnings of real muscle tone, and her posture radiated quiet athletic confidence.

In one hand, she held her copy of To Kill a Mockingbird, reading as she casually stood on the beam—on one hand. She flipped back to her feet.  Performed a one-armed cartwheel. Perfect balance. All without looking up from the page.  Then...

"JAMIE!"

The shout cracked across the gym like thunder.

Jamie paused and looked down at Coach Ramirez, who stood below, face red and arms crossed.

"You can't read on the balance beam! That's dangerous!"

Jamie blinked, genuinely surprised. "Oh. Sorry, Coach."

In her mind, the balance beam was no more dangerous than a sidewalk. But Jamie always listened to her coaches. Always.

She closed the book, keeping a finger in her place, of course, and leapt.

A full twist. Two flips. Perfect landing.


And just like that, she sauntered off the mat, nose back in her book, completely unaware of the stunned silence left in her wake.



*****



"You were reading... on the balance beam!"

She shrugged like it was no big deal.  "Sure, honest to god, it was a nice distraction.  After awhile, it just got so easy, it was hard to keep interested in what I was doing."

"You were bored?!"

"Kind of.  I actually felt bad.  All those other girls, they were so dedicated, so passionate about gymnastics, it was their life, their everything.  To me, it was just a thing I did.  If I had been taken out of gymnastics for any reason, I'm not sure I would have cared.  I would have just gone on to the next thing."

Tyler leaned forward again, clearly still curious, maybe even skeptical. "You're telling me, that you were, perhaps the greatest junior gymnast in history, and you didn't really care all that much about it?"

"No, not really.  I always admired that in the other girls.  And I really wished I felt the same way.  But back then, I had never felt that passion... about anything.  It was something I was really missing in my life.

Tyler pressed.  "So there wasn't anything about gymnastics, anything at all, that actually challenged you?"

Jamie looked at him for a long moment.

Then she gave a breathy laugh and glanced down at herself, gesturing vaguely to her torso. "Puberty."

Tyler blinked. "Puberty?"

Jamie leaned back, her tone more open now. "I joined the national team when I was ten. I was 4'7", 70lbs, and built like a stick of gum. Over the next six years, I gained a foot in height and almost seventy pounds."

Tyler's eyebrows lifted. "A foot in height?"

She nodded. "And that weight? It wasn't fat. My body changed. I got hips, I got muscle... and I developed in..." she waved lightly toward her chest, her expression amused, "...other ways."

Tyler glanced away and back quickly, clearly trying not to stare. "Right. Yeah. I, uh—definitely a noticeable difference."

Jamie grinned, clearly unbothered. "It changed everything. My center of gravity, my flexibility, my balance—it was like I had to relearn how to use my own body every six months. Gymnastics rewards small, compact frames. Most elite gymnasts top out around 5 feet, 100lbs. I ended up 5'7", 138lbs."

"Which is practically towering," Tyler said, half-joking.

"For girls gymnastics?" Jamie said. "It's huge.  By the time I was 16, I felt like a giant out there!"

"So what did you do?" he asked, genuinely fascinated. "How do you stay competitive in a sport built for smaller bodies when your body refuses to stay small?"

Jamie's voice was calm, almost matter-of-fact. "I got strong."

She let the statement hang there.

"Everything I'd been taught—control, technique, finesse—was still there, but I needed something more. So I started training for power. I knew I'd never be the lightest girl on the team. So I decided to be the strongest."

Tyler gave a slow nod, letting that sink in.


And Jamie's eyes drifted, her expression thoughtful, as the memory returned.



*****



The gym echoed with the sounds of grunts, sneakers on rubber flooring, and low chants of encouragement. Derek Mills was in the middle of a circle of varsity football players, seniors, juniors, and wide-eyed freshmen, all watching him drop and rise with laser focus.

"Forty-three... forty-four... forty-five..."

The previous team record.

"Forty-six!"

The weight of his own body felt like a mountain, every rep grinding down on his trembling arms. But Derek was a beast, and this was his moment.

He slammed his chest into the floor and powered up one final time, arms quivering.

"FORTY-SEVEN!"

The gym exploded.

Cheers rang out. Teammates crowded around, clapping him on the back. Derek surged to his feet, breath heaving, chest puffed out like he'd just won a war. He pointed to the ceiling and pounded his chest, soaking in the glory.

"Hell yeah!"

"Freshman just set the record!"

"Dude's a tank!"

The younger guys looked at him like a god. The older guys? Scowls, crossed arms, quiet muttering. Derek could feel the envy, and he loved it.  This was it. This was what he'd waited for his whole life.

Then the gym door creaked open.  Heads turned, and every voice... fell silent.

In walked Jamie Sullivan.

She was 14, but you'd be forgiven for mistaking her for a college athlete. At 5'3" and 116lbs, she had grown into her body in ways that defied explanation. Long, toned legs moved with quiet power, each stride causing a subtle flex of her sculpted quads and calves. Her waist was trim, her hips full, and her upper body flared out with athletic grace—broad shoulders, tight arms, and just enough muscle definition to make her look dangerous and divine all at once.

Her tight tank top clung to her like paint, hugging her curves and outlining the swell of her now full, high-set chest with undeniable clarity. Her gym shorts rode low on her hips and high on her thighs, showing off the impossible shape of her legs.

She seemed focused, determined.  She didn't even to notice the silence.

Beside her was Dawn Johnson, smaller, curvier in a softer way, her chest practically spilling out of her loose blouse. Her eyes were on the rafters as she rambled cheerfully, "Look at the way the light's cutting across the beams, Jamie.  It's like a cathedral in here, but, like, made of shadows!"

Jamie just nodded absently, her focus clearly elsewhere. She walked across the gym like she owned it, without arrogance, but with that same unshakable calm she always had. Like she belonged in every room she entered.

The sea of football players turned to watch her go.  Open mouths, dazed stares.

Derek stood frozen, his triumph evaporating in real time.  She didn't even look at him.

Jamie led Dawn to the far corner of the gym, oblivious to the trail of whiplash behind her. She dropped her bag, took a deep breath, and started her stretches. Every move seemed designed to annihilate Derek's already-wounded ego.

She bent forward, touching her toes, her back arching with perfect control. She sank into a split without hesitation, then leaned forward into a deep fold, her long, muscular arms resting lightly on the floor.  Even stretching, she looked stronger, more powerful, more complete than any girl should be.

The guys who had just been cheering for Derek?
Now, they were quiet, and staring.

Derek stood there, heart pounding, face hot with fury.  No one cared about his pushups anymore.


And once again, without trying, without saying a word, without even glancing in his direction, Jamie Sullivan had stolen his moment.

Derek barely had time to recover from the psychological gut punch of Jamie's arrival before he saw it... she dropped down to the floor.  Pushup position.

His stomach twisted. His throat went dry.  No. No no no. Not again. Not HERE.

This was his gym. His moment. He'd just broken the record. He was still catching his breath, still feeling the lingering sting in his arms from pushing past his limit.

And now Jamie Sullivan was in the exact same position, her body stretched out perfectly straight, her sculpted legs braced behind her, her palms flat on the mat. The muscles in her arms and shoulders flexed with effortless tension, visible even through the thin fabric of her fitted tank top.

Maybe she's just stretching, he told himself, clinging to hope.

Then Dawn plopped down on Jamie's back like it was routine.

Derek's eyes bulged. The weight alone...

"Okay, so imagine a world," Dawn said, sketchpad already in hand, "where the cities are built entirely of shadows. Like, you can only see them during the day, but at night they disappear. And the people have to remember where the buildings were or they walk into them..."

Jamie didn't respond.  Her focus was absolute.  She moved.

Pushup number one: slow, controlled, flawless form. Down until her chest was just above the floor, hold, then up.  No bounce, no cheat, pure power.

Pushup number two. Then three.

Derek couldn't look away. No one could.

Her rhythm was steady, mechanical, hypnotic. Up. Down. Hold. Breathe. Up. Down. Power.

Ten pushups... twenty... thirty.

The room was silent, save for the quiet sound of Jamie's breath and the scratch of Dawn's pencil on paper.

Derek's fists clenched. His jaw locked. His face turned red, not from exertion, but from a boiling, shameful rage.

Forty... Fifty.

She wasn't even breathing hard. Her form was perfect. Her body didn't so much strain as it executed. Like every muscle knew exactly what to do, and she had full, absolute control.

Derek's mind screamed. How!? She's just a girl!!

Then...Jamie paused, she adjusted her position slightly, and then...

She lifted one arm off the floor.

Dawn barely looked up. "One-arm mode. Cool," she muttered, switching pencils.

Jamie's core and shoulders tightened, a wave of strength rolling through her body. The added strain made the muscles in her back ripple with precision. Her brow furrowed in concentration. Her breathing deepened—but she wasn't struggling.

Then she lowered herself down. One-armed. Controlled. Perfect.

Then up again... Down... Up.

One-arm pushups... With a whole other person on her back.

Derek felt like the floor had dropped out from under him. The ache in his arms from his own set came roaring back with bitter clarity. He had fought for every one of those forty-seven reps. Fought.

And she was toying with gravity like it didn't apply to her.  His record? A footnote.  His glory? Gone.

And worst of all—Jamie still hadn't even looked at him.  She didn't even know she'd stolen his moment.  That made it worse... So much worse.

Derek Mills stood there, fists shaking, heart burning with humiliation and fury, as Jamie Sullivan kept doing one-arm pushups like it was just another Tuesday.


And in that moment, he hated her more than he ever had before.



*****



Tyler flipped to the final page of his notes, eyes scanning the numbers one more time. Then he looked up at Jamie, his tone a little quieter now, more reflective.

"You know," he said, "whether you wanted it or not... the world saw more than just a gymnast."

Jamie tilted her head slightly, cautious. "What do you mean?"

He met her eyes carefully. "I mean... as your body changed, as you grew into yourself... there was this shift. You weren't just a prodigy anymore. You were beautiful. Strikingly beautiful. And it wasn't just coaches and judges who noticed."

Jamie's lips pressed into a soft, unreadable line.

Tyler continued, gently. "The TV ratings didn't lie. From the time you were twelve to sixteen, the audience for junior gymnastics exploded. Especially in one key demographic."

Jamie sighed softly. "Eighteen to thirty-four."

"Male viewers," Tyler confirmed. "It got to the point where junior gymnastics became the fourth most-watched sport in the country. Only football, basketball, and baseball drew more eyes. And a lot of that was... you."

Jamie looked down at her hands, then gave a small, wistful smile. "It was strange. I didn't feel any different. I was just trying to be good at something. But suddenly... I was everywhere."

She paused.

"It stopped being about just the sport," she said, almost to herself.

Tyler leaned forward. "And then came your Olympic Trials."

Jamie's gaze lifted to meet his, her expression distant—half pain, half pride.

"That night," she said quietly, "it was the biggest night of my life."

A long pause. She seemed to drift for a moment, lost in the memory.

Then, softly, with the weight of a girl who'd lived a thousand lifetimes between medals:


"And my world changed forever."

Jeremy Lightning

Great to see you back, Spoonmaster, you have written some of my favorite stories to read, and this one is right up there, I love everything about what I see out of Jamie so far. I just love prodigies, especially those who can do things much better than people who are much older, taller, and heavier than them, those who have had years and years of training being completely shown up by someone who is pretty much doing it for the first time, so awesome that even if they're barely trying, they're effortlessly better than someone who is trying their hardest. I truly look forward to seeing how strong Jamie becomes. k+!
Don't forget to K+ if you enjoy my writing.

Great stories about strong and muscular women and girls, hope you enjoy!

Jeremy Lightning

I was hoping the next chapter would be up by now.
Don't forget to K+ if you enjoy my writing.

Great stories about strong and muscular women and girls, hope you enjoy!

spoonmaster

All right, here's the next chapter.  Warning... the following story contains disturbing material that may be inappropriate for younger readers.  Reader discretion advised.




Chapter 3: The Breaking Point


Tyler Novak leaned forward, flipping to a fresh page in his notes. "I think this is the right moment to ask about Vince Callaway."

Jamie's smile disappeared.

Tyler treaded carefully. "He was a part of the coaching staff, correct?"

Jamie nodded slowly. "Yeah. He worked with the men's team, officially. But he was around a lot—especially during combined practices, shared facilities. That sort of thing."

"What was his title?"

"Program Support Coach," she said, almost like the words tasted sour.

"And what exactly does that job do?"

Jamie looked off to the side, then back again. "It's... kind of a catch-all. Setting up equipment, monitoring workouts, giving feedback to head coaches when asked. Most of the time, they're just there to help where needed."

Tyler raised an eyebrow. "So when did you first meet Vince Callaway?"

Jamie's lips parted, but no sound came out at first. She blinked, as if trying to access a file in her memory she didn't want to open.

"I remember," she said finally.


*****


The hallway was dim, echoing with the distant hum of vending machines and the muted thuds of training mats far down the corridor. Vince Callaway sat slouched on a bench outside the utility closet, one leg bouncing uncontrollably, the glow of his phone screen lighting up his pale face.  His fingers trembled as he scrolled.

There it was. Linda Mitchell, 47, found dead of an apparent overdose in her one-bedroom apartment. She is survived by a single son, Jacob "Jake" Mitchell, who reportedly vanished several years ago in connection with the still-unsolved disappearance of local college student Quinn Harper...

His heart punched the inside of his ribs.  She was gone. His mother...his anchor, his priestess, his confessor. The only one who had ever truly seen him. Gone.

He read the article again. And again.

"Vanished..."

"Unsolved..."

"Jacob 'Jake' Mitchell..."

That name made his skin crawl. That wasn't who he was. Not anymore.

Vince Callaway. That was his name now. Vince. The cool, sharp syllables. The name of someone important. Someone powerful. Not some weird, pale little loser from Clifton, Texas. Not someone who got laughed at in locker rooms or rejected by...

A sharp voice snapped him back to reality.  "There you are," Brandi snapped, arms crossed. "Hiding again?"

Vince lowered his phone without looking up. "I'm on my break."

Brandi didn't care. She never did. She was technically above him...technically...and she milked every ounce of authority like it was her birthright.  "Well, you're done now," she said, already turning. "Come with me. You need to meet the new kid. Just arrived this morning."

Vince stood without argument, slipping the phone into his pocket. His jaw clenched as he followed her. He hated Brandi. The way she talked to him like he was beneath her. The way she treated him like he didn't matter.

But he kept his mouth shut. He always did. He knew how to wait. How to blend. That's why he was still here.

They stepped into the training room.  Brandi gestured ahead. "There she is. Jamie Sullivan."

And then he saw her.

At first, he thought his mind was playing tricks on him. The way the light caught her hair, how it shimmered like wheat in the sun. The way she stood—confident but unaware, unassuming but radiant.

She was ten. Just a child.  But even then, the resemblance was impossible to ignore.

Quinn.

His stomach flipped.  He wasn't in the gym anymore. He was back in the dorm hallway, that fateful August afternoon.  The elevator dinged. The door opened. And out stepped a girl with soft freckles, sun-kissed cheeks, and a denim jacket two sizes too big.

She smiled at him.  "Hi," she had said, sticking out her hand. "I'm Quinn. What's your name?"

Back then, he'd barely managed to choke out "Jake."

And now...

The young girl smiled at him.  "Hi," said the girl in front of him, pulling him back to the present. Her smile was bright, easy. She stuck out her hand "I'm Jamie. What's your name?"

Vince stared, heart hammering in his ears.  He knew that voice.  That face.  Those eyes.

She came back.  This time, he thought... I won't lose her.


*****


"So he was 26 at the time.  And you didn't know anything about his past?"

Jamie shrugged.  "Of course not.  I was ten.  I didn't know any of the coach's past.  They were the coaches, I was the student.  I never really thought about it too much beyond that."

Tyler moved slowly, giving her time.  This was leading to a dark place, and he didn't want to overwhelm her.  "So can you tell us a little bit about the relationship you had with Coach Callaway?"

"There's not much to tell, honestly."


*****


Vince stood at the edge of the gym floor, staring at nothing. The lights were still dim—emergency power only—and outside the glass doors, the world was still waking up.  But Vince had already been here for an hour.

He was always first. Always.  Especially on Saturdays.

He liked the quiet. The way the world felt still. Empty. Like he could finally breathe without someone judging the sound of it.

He rolled another mat across the floor, the wheels squeaking under the weight. The gym smelled like chalk and rubber and faint disinfectant. Familiar. Safe.

He crouched to adjust one of the corner pads, then paused... and let his mind slip.

She was beside him again.  Quinn.

Her voice danced through the air, animated and full of joy. They walked down the stone pathway that cut through campus, her backpack bouncing against her spine, the Texas sun lighting her hair like fire.

"And the thing about blind landings is it's all feel," she was saying, gesturing with her hands. "Your body has to know where it's going before your eyes do. It's scary at first, but once you get the rhythm, it's almost peaceful."

He nodded, hanging on every word.  She didn't care that he wasn't saying much.  She never cared that he wasn't cool, or tall, or funny.  She saw him.  She talked to him.  Like he mattered.  Like he was real.

She was the only one...The only one who ever...noticed me, Vince whispered, his voice catching.  His breath quickened.  The only one who saw him.  The only one who cared.  The only one who made the noise in his head go quiet.

The only one for me.

The memory unraveled.

Vince blinked, returning to the gym, to the mat under his hands, to the cold ache in his knees from crouching too long.

And then, like a soft breath before the storm, he heard the door open.  Footsteps.  He didn't need to look. He already knew.

Jamie.

She always came early. Just like him. Especially when it didn't interfere with school. She liked the quiet, too. The focus. The discipline. She moved with purpose, even as a child. It was different now, though. At twelve, she had started to change. There was a little more curve to her body.  There was definition in her arms, strength in her frame, and a grace to her movements that didn't belong to a little girl anymore.

She looked more like Quinn every day.

He heard her approach. That light-footed, athletic stride. She stopped beside him, crouched, and without waiting to be asked, helped him with the mat.

Her fingers dug under the edge. She lifted without strain.  Not even struggling.  Stronger than she looked. Just like Quinn.

"Morning, Coach Callaway," she said brightly, offering him that sweet, disarming smile.

So warm. So kind.  So real.

"Morning, Jamie," he managed, his voice cracking slightly.

She always helped him.  Always smiled at him.  Always noticed him.  She didn't talk down to him like the others did. Didn't treat him like he was invisible, or annoying, or creepy. When she asked how he was doing, it felt like she meant it.

She was the only one who didn't make him feel like a mistake.  The only one who treated him like a person.  The only one...

The only one for me. 


*****


Two Years Later

The gym echoed with the distant thud of landing mats and the rhythmic hum of training drills. It was an early morning over summer break.  The boys' team was working the rings today, their grunts of exertion mixing with the occasional clang of chains.

Jamie Sullivan stood off to the side, her golden ponytail swaying slightly as she watched the practice.  Vince licked his lips as his eyes toured her body, a body that was becoming a woman.  At fourteen, she had grown taller, stronger, curvier, but with unmistakable power behind it now. There was confidence in her stance, something collected and quiet, but impossible to miss.

The boys noticed her, of course. They always did.  One of the older ones—a cocky senior named Caleb—dropped from the rings, sweat glistening across his chest. He smirked when he saw Jamie watching.

"What?" he called. "You wanna try? Sorry, sweetheart, rings aren't for little girls." 

His friends chuckled. Jamie didn't.  Instead, she smiled softly, almost sweetly, and stepped forward.

Vince, who had been restocking chalk and sweeping under the pommel horse nearby, turned just in time to see her approach the rings. He froze. His heart hammered in his chest.

Jamie reached up, grabbed the rings, and in one fluid motion, vaulted herself up—her body coiling with clean, powerful control. She held a perfect iron cross, the strain in her arms barely registering on her expression. Then she moved—swinging into a strength-to-handstand transition, holding it, lowering down, and repeating with a poise that looked more like dance than strength.

Vince watched, his breath caught in his throat.  His mind drifted back to the other gymnast...


*****


Years Ago

The room smelled faintly of lavender and pencil shavings. Posters of rolling Texas hills and motivational quotes lined the cinder block walls, and a half-filled sketchpad sat open on the desk. Quinn Harper's dorm room was small but warm—just like her.

Vince—still Jake Mitchell back then—sat cross-legged on the floor, pretending to look through a course catalog while stealing glances at her. She was in the center of the room, stretching in her Baylor team sweats, tying her long, dirty-blonde hair into a quick ponytail.

"You really want to see it?" Quinn asked, laughing as she bounced to her feet.

Jake nodded, maybe a bit too quickly. "I mean... only if you don't mind."

"I don't," she said brightly. "I need the practice anyway. Coach wants me to work on precision before next weekend's intrasquad."

She stepped into the open space in front of her bed. There wasn't much room, but Quinn didn't need much. She inhaled, then launched into her mini floor sequence. A roundoff, a back handspring, and then a controlled front layout that somehow didn't rattle a single picture frame on the wall.

Her landing was light, her arms extended with a flair of confidence and ease that made Jake's breath catch. Her T-shirt clung to her back, outlining the delicate muscles that moved beneath her skin. Her shorts rode just high enough to show the way her legs coiled and released power like it was built into her bones.

Jake couldn't move. Couldn't breathe.

She turned back to him, a little flushed and smiling wide. "What do you think?"

"You were... perfect," he said, his voice almost reverent. "Seriously, Quinn. You're incredible."

She blushed, clearly flattered but brushing it off. "Well, not perfect. Coach says I rush the second element sometimes."

He stood now, eyes locked on her. "They don't see it. But I do. I see you, Quinn. You're... amazing. You're going to be one of the greatest."

She laughed—soft and kind, not mocking, just sweet. "You're always so nice to me. Thanks, Jake."
She stepped forward and reached out to pat his arm. It was nothing more than a gesture of friendly gratitude.

But to Jake, it was something else entirely.

His skin tingled where she touched him. The room felt suddenly charged, like the air before a thunderstorm. He didn't hear the music still playing from her desk speaker, or the hum of the old mini-fridge. All he could hear was the pounding in his ears and the breath in his chest whispering:

She touched you.  She chose you.  She's the only one who sees you. The only one. The only one...


*****


The Present

The boys were silent now.

She dismounted with a twisting backflip and stuck the landing like it was nothing. The gym was quiet for a beat, and then, as the boys turned and stalked off in embarrassed silence, Vince approached her.

"That was..." He paused, trying to find words. "That was incredible, Jamie."

She smiled, a bit shy now. Her cheeks flushed. "Thanks," she said, brushing hair behind her ear.

"You really showed them," Vince said. "That was Olympic-level strength. Maybe beyond."

She laughed softly. "I've been working on it."

She reached out to pat his arm—just a light touch, warm and casual.

But to Vince, it was electric.

He stood frozen, his skin tingling where her hand had been. In his mind, the moment twisted—became something more than it was. Only Quinn had ever touched him like that.  His Quinn...his Jamie..

He blinked, dragged back to the present by Jamie's voice.  "I'll see you later, Coach," she said, already walking away toward the lockers.

Vince watched her go, his mind spinning, his breathing shallow. She notices me, he thought. She sees me. Just like Quinn did.

No. Not just like Quinn. She's more. Brighter. Stronger. Better.

His hands clenched into fists at his sides.  Jamie is the only one who sees me.  Somewhere, deep inside, that thought took root. Twisted. Grew


*****


The studio was still. Cameras rolled, lights hummed, but the mood had shifted. Tyler Novak leaned forward, elbows on the table, his voice gentle but serious.

"So... through all those years on the national team... Did you ever know? Did you have any idea that Vince Callaway was... obsessed with you?"

Jamie's face didn't change right away. Her posture stayed poised, her hands still folded neatly in her lap. But there was a flicker—just a flicker—behind her eyes.  "No," she said softly. "I didn't."

She let out a breath, not quite a sigh. "He was just... one of the coaches. I never imagined he thought of me any differently. He was quiet, always in the background. He'd help set up equipment, hand out water bottles and give the occasional correction. Nothing out of the ordinary. At least... not that I noticed."

Tyler watched her closely, sensing the weight of what she wasn't saying.

"And yet," he said, carefully, "he had something to do with your Olympic Trials... didn't he?"

Jamie paused.  Just for a moment.  Then she nodded, once, slowly.  "He had some... suggestions," she said. Her voice was steady, but something about the way she said the word suggestions made it sound like it carried far more than it let on.

And that was all she offered.  The air in the studio was thick now, full of the things unsaid, the memories yet to come.  Tyler sat back, letting the silence linger just long enough to speak volumes.

And then...


*****


The gym was still and silent in the early morning light, shafts of sun piercing through the high windows and casting long golden streaks across the mats. The air smelled faintly of chalk and rubber, familiar and comforting. At this hour, the space felt almost sacred.

Jamie Sullivan stood at the center of the floor, her chest rising and falling gently as she caught her breath. She had just finished her floor routine, and the silence that followed her final pose still lingered in the air.

At sixteen, Jamie had grown into her body with a striking presence. She was tall for a gymnast—5'7"—and her physique was a flawless blend of dramatic feminine curves and power. Muscles rippled subtly under her leotard, visible only in motion, dwarfed by dramatic curves of her breasts.  Gymnasts didn't generally have large breasts, but Jamie made up for it in spades!  The full figured curves of a swimsuit model fused with a dancer's elegance and an athlete's strength. Her form was as sculpted as her routines, and when she moved, it was like the laws of physics yielded to her will.

She turned toward the only other person in the gym.

"Well?" she asked, brushing a golden strand of hair from her face. "What do you think?"

Vince Callaway blinked like he was waking from a dream. He stood at the edge of the floor, clipboard in hand, though he hadn't written anything down. His throat bobbed with a swallow before he found his voice.

"It was... remarkable," he said, almost too quickly. "Truly. I—I've never seen you move like that. The control, the height of your jumps, the way you—" He stopped himself. "It's ready. You're ready."

Jamie gave a soft smile, appreciative, but thoughtful. "Thanks. Still, there's always something to tweak."

Vince nodded, then hesitated. "Jamie... this is the Olympics. You're not just competing anymore. You're... stepping onto the world stage."

She tilted her head. "I know."

"I mean—" he stepped forward slightly, lowering his voice, as if sharing a secret. "The judges will expect more than perfection. They'll want to feel something. To remember you."

Jamie frowned, curious. "Okay... like what?"

"You're not a little girl anymore," Vince said, his tone soft, almost reverent. "You've become a young woman. You should use that. You have... presence. You should use that to... seduce the judges.  Have them eat out of your hands. Don't just perform your routine. Sell your passion, your drive, your form."

Jamie considered that for a moment, then nodded slowly. "Okay. I think I know what you mean."

She turned back toward the floor, already running possibilities through her head. "Thanks, Coach," she said over her shoulder, flashing him a warm, genuine smile. "That actually helps a lot."

And then she was walking away, humming softly to herself, her ponytail swinging as her mind spun with ideas.

Vince remained where he was, eyes fixed on her as she moved. He said nothing. Just watched.  And in the quiet, echoing space of the gym, he smiled...but it was not the smile of a coach proud of his athlete.  It was something else entirely.


*****


The soft blue glow of Jamie's laptop lit up her focused expression. She sat cross-legged on her neatly made bed, her elbows propped on her knees, eyes sharp with concentration. On-screen, exotic dancers moved in slow, sinuous patterns...graceful, commanding, magnetic. Their control was mesmerizing, every motion deliberate, their bodies a symphony of sensuality and power.

Jamie wasn't watching them for titillation or bashful discomfort...she was studying. Every shift of weight, every twist of the hips, every perfectly timed flick of the wrist or glance over the shoulder.  The look in their eyes, the expression of their lips, the way they accentuated every curve with every motion, the way heat seemed to radiate from them.   She paused, rewound. Played it again. Slowed it down.

She wasn't watching them—she was studying them.

She tilted her head, murmuring softly to herself. "It's all about control... about projecting a ...presence."

Closing the laptop, Jamie stood and walked over to the full-length mirror mounted to the back of her closet door. Her room was tidy, organized. Her gymnastics medals lined one shelf, school awards another. A sketchbook—Dawn's, left behind from a sleepover—sat on her desk, open to a page filled with fantastical shapes and softly penciled stars.

Jamie took a deep breath. She rolled her shoulders back, lifted her chin, and began.

Her walk changed. Not a strut—something subtler. Measured. Intentional. She played with angles, positioning her hands and arms to frame her body, more languid, less stiff. She wasn't just an athlete, she was a woman.  She turned, slowly. Posed. Studied her own reflection.

The look in her eyes shifted—not sultry or teasing, but mischievous, mysterious.

She moved to the center of the room and launched into the final portion of her floor routine. It was fast, tight, electric—until the very end, when she stopped on a dime, striking a new finish. It was elegant... powerful... seductive.

She held the pose.  In the mirror, her reflection looked back—strong, beautiful, in control.

Jamie smiled.  "This'll do it," she whispered to herself. "This will make them remember."

She turned off the light, her mind already spinning with refinements for her trials tomorrow.


*****


Tyler leaned forward, a small smile tugging at the edge of his lips. "So let's talk about the Olympic Trials. The video of your performance—especially your floor routine—has become the most viewed gymnastics video in YouTube history. Over a billion views and counting."

Jamie's cheeks turned a soft pink. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and gave a bashful smile. "Yeah... I've heard."

Tyler chuckled. "It's almost mythic at this point. I mean, for most people, that was their first real introduction to you. And you made sure it was unforgettable."

Jamie nodded. "I knew it would be the first time the world saw me not as a promising junior athlete, but as a woman. I wanted to make an impression."


*****


The energy inside the packed arena was electric. Flashing cameras sparkled from the stands. Chants and cheers echoed off the walls, and a sea of faces watched with breathless anticipation.

Jamie Sullivan stood in the wings of the floor exercise mat, breathing slowly, eyes closed. Her leotard shimmered under the stadium lights—sleek, elegant, and bold. It accentuated the years of dedication carved into her athletic frame, and stretched tight over voluptuous curves that made the other girls green with envy, and the men
sweating with desire. Every inch of her radiated poise and control.

She had already stunned the audience that day with a vault that seemed to defy gravity, an uneven bars routine that blurred the line between art and physics, and a beam routine so graceful and pulse pounding, it earned a
standing ovation.

Now, it was time for the floor.

As the music began, a hush fell over the crowd. Coaches leaned forward. Judges straightened in their seats. A collective breath was held.  Jamie stepped onto the mat and began.

Each movement flowed like poetry—explosive tumbling passes that landed like thunderbolts, transitions where she bent her body in ways that set imaginations on fire, and choreography woven seamlessly through that pulled the audience deeper and deeper into an erotic display of power and beauty.

Every turn, every leap, every subtle glance of her eyes or tilt of her head pulled the crowd further into the spell she was weaving. Her movements were more than just impressive—they were magnetic. The kind of performance that transcended the sport.

As she soared into her final tumbling pass, spinning, twisting, landing with impossible control, Jamie ended in a pose of perfect stillness, her body arched, her muscles flexed, her chest heaving.

For a moment... nothing... silence.  Jamie's breath caught. Had she made a mistake?

Then, the room erupted.

The applause was thunderous, rising like a wave. People leapt to their feet. Coaches clapped. Some of the judges were visibly stunned. In the stands, people were shouting, cheering, crying.

Jamie's heart pounded. She looked around, dazed by the sound, and a slow, radiant smile bloomed across her face.  She had made her impression.


*****


The moment Jamie stepped onto the floor, the gym seemed to go still. The noise, the crowd, the bright lights...none of it registered for Vince. All he could see was her.

She moved like a dream. Every step, every pose, every leap...it wasn't just performance. To him, it was communication. A secret conversation in the language of movement. Her eyes flicked toward the judges, toward the cameras... but he knew the truth.

She was looking at him.

When she spun, it was for him. When she landed, it was to impress him. When she smiled... God, that smile...it wasn't for the crowd, it wasn't for the cameras. It was for him.   And when she reached the final pose, arms outstretched, chest rising with her breath, the entire arena held its breath.

Then came the explosion of applause.  But Vince didn't clap.  He couldn't. His hands were trembling.  His heart felt like it might burst out of his chest. She had done it. She had poured everything into that moment, into him. He felt it. Saw it. Understood it.  She was finally ready.

When Jamie jogged off the floor, glowing with joy, flushed with adrenaline and triumph, she spotted him across the edge of the mats. Her face lit up. She ran toward him, arms open, and...She hugged him!

Her arms wrapped around him in a tight, grateful embrace. Her body was warm against his. For a second, a single second, Vince felt like the earth had stopped spinning. She held on, laughing breathlessly, thanking him, so full of excitement and energy.

He stood frozen, arms slowly raising to return the hug, his breath shallow, his mind spinning.  This was it.  All those years. All the little smiles, the talks, the help, the encouragement. All of it had built up to this moment. She understood now. She saw it. She felt it.  She was his!

Jamie pulled back, still beaming, giving him one last squeeze before running off toward her teammates. She had no idea what she'd just given him.

But to Vince Callaway?  It was everything.


*****


Years Ago

Jake Mitchell stood awkwardly in the doorway of Quinn Harper's dorm room, his hands shoved into the front pocket of his hoodie.

Quinn was practically bouncing, her soft brown ponytail flicking as she spun toward him. "I can't believe it! I qualified for a rotation next weekend!" she gushed. "It's just floor, but still—it's a real competition!"

Jake stared at her, entranced. Her joy was so pure, her voice bubbling with excitement. Her form...strong, graceful, radiant...was like nothing he'd ever seen. 

She stepped forward and touched his arm, just a light, friendly gesture.  "Come on in!  We have to celebrate!  This is the best day of my life!"

Jake felt like he'd been struck by lightning.  Her touch!  That look.  She wanted him.  Him!!

It was going to be the best day of his life too!


*****


The Present

He stepped forward, moving slowly around the equipment, weaving through the crowd. She was still laughing with that friend of hers...Dawn, the artsy one who always said strange things. Vince didn't like her. She was loud. Distracting. Always in the way.

But just as he thought it, like fate itself was listening, Dawn turned, received a call, and wandered off. Jamie was alone now.

He froze for a moment, watching her. The light caught the gold in her hair. Her eyes sparkled. Her cheeks were flushed with victory.

She was breathtaking.  And she was his.


*****


Years Ago

Quinn was spinning, laughing, a red solo cup of beer in her hand.  Neither of them were old enough to buy alcohol, but at a college campus, that hardly mattered.  "Oh I can't believe it!  This can't be real!  I've been dreaming about this moment for as long as I can remember!"

Jake watched her young lithe body spin hungrily.  She was so beautiful, so full of life.  Everything he'd ever wanted!  "So have I.  As long as I can remember!" 

She plopped down on the couch, her hand landing on his thigh.  His body burned with passion!  This was it... his moment... his destiny!!  He leaned over, puckering his lips, to give her a long awaited kiss...

...and she recoiled away from him...her face full of confusion.  "What are you doing?"


*****


The Present

Vince approached, his footsteps slow, almost hesitant. He'd waited for this moment—planned for it. The arena had emptied. Her friend was gone. And she was still glowing.

"Hey," he said, voice low. "You were... beyond incredible."

Jamie turned and gave him a bright, genuine smile. "Thanks, Vince. That means a lot. You've been here for so much of this. I couldn't have done it without everyone's support."

He stepped closer. "You've come so far... Jamie, you're not just one of the best athletes I've ever seen. You're... more than that. You're... special."

Jamie blinked, surprised at the shift in tone. "I mean... thank you. I appreciate it."

This was it...his moment...his destiny!!  After all these years... she had finally returned to him!  He leaned over, puckering his lips, to give her a kiss that had been over a decade in the making...

...and she recoiled away from him...her face full of confusion.  "What are you doing?"


*****


Years Ago

"Come on, Quinn.  We have something here.  Can't you feel it?"  He slid across the couch, closer to her... his one true love...

She looked at him... but not with love...but with patience... distance.  "Jake.  You know I like you, you're such a sweet guy, but we're just friends.  That's all we've ever been."

Jake was confused.  She'd given him all the signals... "But... you hugged me.  You asked me to come into your room.  Don't tell me that doesn't mean anything."

"I was happy, that's all.  I thought you'd be happy for me.  Please Jake, don't..."

But he wasn't listening.  He leaned forward, trying to put his arm around her...

But she was a collegiate athlete, quick, agile.  She slapped his hand away, her expression hardened.  "I said no!"


*****


The Present

Vince's voice dropped, his eyes intense. "I feel like... we've always had something. Like you see me. Like Quinn did. You remember Quinn, right?"

Jamie took a small step back. Her heart quickened—not the way it had during her routine, but in that quiet, prickling way that said something was wrong.

"Vince..." she said carefully, "I don't know what you're thinking this is, but... we're just friends. You're a coach. That's all this has ever been."

He stared at her, unmoving. "No... no, you don't mean that. I know what I saw. You hugged me. You smiled at me. You looked at me like she did."

"I was happy," she said, firm but still gentle. "That's all. Please don't—"

Before she could finish, he stepped toward her again, reaching out to embrace her.

This time, Jamie reacted.  She shoved him back...not hard, just enough to create space.  "I said no."


*****


Years Ago

Jake felt a tightness in his chest, like his heart was being squeezed by an invisible fist.  His pulse pounded in his temples.  "You don't tell me no!  You don't deny me!  You're mine, god damn it... mine!"

"Jake, stop."  Quinn's voice was trembling, her eyes darted back and forth, like a scared little rabbit.  "I'm not yours, I'm not anybodys.  Please... please, just go.  Leave me alone."

His jaw clenched, teeth grinding together so hard you could hear them.  The world slowed, his vision blurred, all but her.  It was only her... her alone!  "If you won't be mine... you won't be ANYONES!!"

His hands shot out quickly, rage fueled him.  How dare she!!  She would not deny him!! Not now!! Not ever!!  His hands wrapped around her neck, and he squeezed.  She brought her hands up to his wrists and pulled.  But she was just a girl.  And she would never be without him again!!


*****


The Present

NO!! It was happening again!! How could she deny him!! how could she refuse him!! Not again!! he wouldn't allow her!! Not now!! Not ever again!!

His hands shot out quickly, rage fueled him.  They wrapped around her neck and squeezed.  She brought her hands up to his wrists.  But she was just a girl.  And she...

Flung his arms away from her in a burst of unexpected power! 

What?!  How?!

Jamie's eyes burned with the heat of a nova!  "How dare you!  Who the hell do you think you are!"

She was just a girl.  Taller than any of the others, her muscles thicker, but she wasn't his size... not quite. 
Yet the little girl grabbed his shirt in her fists, spun him around and SLAMMED him against the wall with such force that the breath was driven from his lungs.

"I trusted you!  You were my coach!! You were my friend!!  How dare you!!" 

She twisted her hands around his shirt.  He felt it tighten around his chest... under his arms...across his back.  He brought his hands up to her wrists and grabbed them... pulling on them with all of his might.  But her arms were solid.  Her little muscles danced with power and fury.  He couldn't make her let go... couldn't do anything... he was helpless.

With a primal growl, she pushed up against his shirt.  His eyes widened in disbelief as he felt his back slide up the wall... his feet left the ground. Her fists pushed into his chest.  So hard it hurt!  Jesus!! She was going to kill him!!

"Jamie!"  Her friend came running up, the annoying friend that wouldn't leave her alone.  "What are you doing?"
Dawn's voice, clear and calm, sliced through the moment like a bell.

Jamie's head turned. Dawn stood in the hallway, her wide eyes taking in the scene..but her voice was soft, grounding. "Jamie... it's okay. You're okay. Come here."

Jamie turned back and stared at Vince for an agonizingly long heartbeat.  Then, she opened her hands.  Vince plummeted to the ground so suddenly, he didn't have time to get his feet under him.  He twisted his ankle, and collapsed to the ground in a heap.

Jamie stepped back, breathing hard. "Stay away from me," she said coldly. "Don't come near me again."

Then she turned and walked away, Dawn already at her side.

As they disappeared down the hall, Vince grabbed at his tender ankle.  He clutched the front of his shirt where her hands had gripped him, still feeling the strength in her fingers, the raw fury in her voice.  He shivered.  Such power!   His Jamie... his Quinn... denied again... discarded like a sack of garbage...

He got to his feet, wobbling precariously on his tender ankle. He had to leave... get out of this place.  He had to run... again... away from his true love.


*****


The streetlamps cast long shadows across the nearly empty parking lot of the arena. Vince Callaway sat in his car, hands clenched around the steering wheel, his knuckles white.

He was shaking. Not from fear, not exactly. From rage. From humiliation.  His chest heaved as he replayed it again and again...how she lifted him. How she threw him. A teenage girl.

No... not a girl. His girl. The one who was supposed to love him. The one who did love him. She just didn't know it yet.  How dare she reject him. How dare she humiliate him.

"She'll see," he muttered. "She'll understand."

His eyes caught movement near the arena doors. His pulse surged.  There she was.  Jamie.  Walking out beneath the arena lights, her gym bag slung over her shoulder. Her golden hair pulled into a high ponytail. Her form silhouetted by the dim orange glow of the streetlamp.

Beside her, the smaller figure of her friend...Dawn, that weird little hanger-on...was talking, animated, her voice carrying in the still night air.

They were laughing. Laughing.

Vince's hands twitched on the wheel. That laughter, it wasn't right. Not after what she'd done. Not after how she'd hurt him.

Quinn was gone.  They had looked for her body for years, but had never found it.  Jake Mitchell made sure of that.  But Vince Callaway wasn't so lucky.  He had been overpowered... he hadn't finished her off.  And now she was there.  She'd talk, they'd find him, they'd find his past, who he was, what he had done.  No!  He wouldn't let her... he wouldn't let it end like this!

He turned the key.  The engine roared to life.

His foot hit the gas.


*****


Dawn walked next to Jamie, entwined in her arms, comforting, assuring.  They stepped into the cool night air.  She could feel her friend was still rattled. Her pulse hadn't come down since the confrontation in the hallway. Her entire body was tensed up, her thoughts a mess.

"I just... I didn't see it coming," she said quietly, her voice uneven. "He was always so quiet. I thought...he was just a staff guy. A coach. I thought he respected me."

"He doesn't deserve your respect," Dawn said firmly.  "What he did wasn't just creepy—it was wrong. But you handled it. You did everything right."

Jamie nodded slowly, her lips pressed into a line, her legs moving on autopilot. She shivered, more from thought than from nature. "I didn't want to hurt him," she said, "but... I wasn't going to let him hurt me."

Dawn squeezed her arm. "You're safe now."

Suddenly, Jamie shifted.  Her head turned, her body coiled, like a spring.  She gasped.

Dawn turned as well, the change in her friend sending a prickling down her spine.  There was danger, but she didn't see it, not at first.  Then she did.

Headlights. Too bright. Too fast.  An SUV...coming straight for them.

Dawn froze in terror.  Her mind blanked... her feet froze. 

Jamie didn't.

"DAWN!"  She heard her friend shout.  She felt Jamie grab her, then she was flying through the air, out of harm's way.  As she flew, she saw Jamie... her best friend... the SUV bearing down on her.  Time seemed to slow...

Dawn watched in morbid fascination.

Jamie jumped.  History's greatest gymnast made an impossible leap, a split-second twist of the body.  Every muscle in her powerful body flexed, unleashing the awe inspiring power and grace that she used to captivate the world.  She was so fast... so strong... so agile...

She almost made it...

The SUV clipped her.  Metal struck bone. Her body spun through the air, limbs flailing like a ragdoll. She hit the asphalt with a sickening crack. The sound of impact echoed through the lot.

Time sped back up.  Dawn landed in a bush.  It's soft leaves and tiny branches leaving her scrapes and scratches.

Dawn scrambled to her feet, horrified. "JAMIE!"

She ran to her friend's side, dropping to her knees. Jamie was crumpled on the pavement, her arm bent at an unnatural angle, her leg twisted beneath her.

But she was conscious. Breathing. Her eyes fluttered open.

"Dawn..." she rasped, her voice a whisper of pain. "You okay?"

Tears streamed down Dawn's face. "Me?! You—Jamie, you—Oh God—someone call 911!"

The car was gone.  Vanished into the night.

But Jamie's body remained..battered, broken, but alive.

Jeremy Lightning

Well, that took a turn that I didn't expect, but I wouldn't say I hated it. I guess I didn't see this story going this route, the way the first two parts were written, it didn't occur to me that the story was deeper than a girl with amazing athletic gifts showing them off, even if she didn't enjoy it. Then you went and dropped this chapter on us and made me actually feel things other than awe and wonder, but disgust about what Vince/Jake, concern for Jamie and Dawn, and finally the need to see Jamie get revenge on that sicko. So yeah, great job, spoonmaster, good to see you back, can't wait for the next one! k+!
Don't forget to K+ if you enjoy my writing.

Great stories about strong and muscular women and girls, hope you enjoy!

spoonmaster

Hey everyone... here's the sequel no one has been clamoring for.  I know this has all pretty much been backstory.  I don't know why I'm so obsessed with drawing this out, but I just feel the need to let this breath.  There will be some of the good stuff coming.  Some classic Spoonmaster power, but first, Jamie needs a little time to get over the events from the last chapter.

So if you will all bear with me just a little bit longer.  Hopefully the juice will be worth the squeeze.




Chapter 4: The Darkness Before Dawn

 

Tyler Novak's voice is quiet, respectful, stripped of the easy charm he usually brings to his interviews.


"June 27th. The night of the Olympic Trials. Jamie Sullivan, age sixteen, suffers a compound fracture in her right arm, a broken wrist in her left, a shattered femur, a ruptured Achilles tendon, two cracked ribs, one of which punctured a lung, and a massive concussion. She is placed in a medically induced coma. Doctors weren't sure she'd survive the night."


The camera pans slowly to Jamie, now eighteen. She sits with her hands folded, her face calm but shadowed by something deeper, something that still lingers behind her eyes.


He looks at her gently. "Do you remember waking up?"


Jamie nods slowly. "I was... confused at first. Everything was white. Bright. My head hurt so badly I thought I was dying." She pauses. "Then I realized I couldn't move."


He doesn't interrupt.


"My arms were in casts. One leg in traction. The other... wrapped and braced. Tubes down my throat. Wires everywhere. It felt like I was looking down at someone else's body."  She takes a long breath, not for dramatic effect, but because remembering it hurts.  "They said I was out for five days. I missed everything...press, trials, the team announcement. When I came to... all I knew was I wasn't going to the Olympics."


Tyler speaks quietly. "What was that like?"


Jamie looks off-camera, eyes glassy but dry.  "It was like someone had turned off the sun."




*****




The television flickered softly in the dimly lit living room. Jamie sat slouched on the couch, half-swallowed by cushions and support pillows, her legs outstretched and wrapped in casts. Her left arm was elevated in a bulky brace; her right hung awkwardly in a sling. A halo of medical equipment surrounded her; blankets, water bottles with bendy straws, pill containers, remote controls, and tissues. Her mother hovered nearby, ready to assist at a moment's notice.


On screen, the Summer Olympics were in full swing. Gymnasts soared and spun across the mat, their routines a blur of power and elegance. The crowd roared for each landing. For each perfect ten.


Jamie didn't move. She barely blinked.  She wasn't bitter. Not exactly. Gymnastics had never been her passion, not the way it was for so many girls. But seeing it now, witnessing that grace, that mastery, made her feel like something vital had been taken from her. It wasn't the sport. It was her body. Her freedom.


She shifted slightly and winced. Every movement was a reminder. Every shallow breath, a quiet ache.  She thought of the last two months.  The nightmares.


There were the ones where Vince found her again, only this time, she couldn't fight back. She was too weak, too broken. His hands around her throat, and all she could do was gasp.


Other dreams were of the car. Over and over. That terrible crunch. The flying sensation. The snap of bone and the jolt of pain that woke her with a scream.


But the worst dreams...the ones she dreaded most...were the ones where she did dodge the car. Clean. Untouched. She landed, just as she had trained all her life to do.  And then she turned around...


Dawn.  Still standing there. Still talking. Still smiling.


Jamie always woke up before the impact. But the look on her friend's face in those dreams...confused, betrayed, hurt...stayed with her.


Two months.  Two months since the accident.  And Dawn hadn't come to visit. Not once.  Jamie couldn't blame her. She'd almost gotten her best friend killed. Maybe Dawn did hate her. Maybe she should.


Tears welled in Jamie's eyes. She blinked them back, failing. She turned her head away from the TV.


Her father entered quietly, holding a cup of tea. He placed it gently on the table beside her. Jamie didn't look at him.  "I saw a quote the other day," he said, voice low and careful. "Said the most important thing about falling... is how you get back up."


Jamie gave a bitter little laugh, short and sharp. "I can't get up."


Her father knelt beside her. "You will."


She turned her face to him, eyes red and full of pain. "I don't want to."


"Why not?"


Her lips trembled.  "Because she's gone," she whispered. "Because I lost her. Because I pushed her away. And I don't even blame her for not coming. If I were her, I'd hate me too."


Her mother stepped forward, tears in her own eyes now, and gently laid a hand on Jamie's shoulder. Jamie didn't move.


"I'm so sorry," Jamie sobbed. "I'm so sorry I failed her."


They sat there, in silence, as Jamie cried, not from pain, but from the unbearable emptiness inside her.  It wasn't the broken bones.


It was the broken heart.




*****




The sun was too bright.  Jamie squinted behind a pair of oversized sunglasses as she guided her electric wheelchair up the front walkway of the school. The soft whir of the motor hummed beneath her, but she still felt vulnerable...exposed. Her body wasn't in casts anymore, but she might as well have been. She was thinner now, paler. The strength that had once defined her was gone. Her limbs, though healing, still trembled under the strain of daily tasks.


The high school loomed ahead, ordinary in its red brick and concrete design. But to Jamie, it felt monstrous.


Then...


Screeeeech!


Tires peeled out in the parking lot nearby. The sudden squeal sliced through the air like a gunshot.  Jamie screamed.  Her whole body flinched violently. Her hands flew to her face, heart jackhammering in her chest. The wheelchair jolted sideways into the grass before she could stop it.


A moment later, a confused parent in a minivan waved sheepishly from the street, apparently unaware of the near panic attack he'd just caused.


Jamie's breath came in short, ragged gasps. It took everything in her to force herself forward. Past the doors. Into the school.


Inside, the hallway was buzzing, first day energy, students chatting, lockers slamming. But the moment Jamie entered, a hush swept through her corridor.  Heads turned. Conversations trailed off.


There she was.  Jamie Sullivan. Former prodigy. National treasure. Survivor.  Now in a wheelchair.  The stares hit her like darts. Not cruel... not exactly. Just too many. Too much.


Some whispered.  Others offered soft smiles or a quiet, "Hey, Jamie. It's good to see you back."


She nodded, grateful but hollow. She didn't want their pity. Or maybe she did. She didn't know anymore.


And then—


"Well, well, well...". A shadow stepped in front of her, blocking her path.  Derek Mills.  He was broader now, stronger than ever. His varsity jacket hung perfectly over his shoulders, and he wore that same smug grin she remembered from a lifetime ago.


He looked down at her chair with a kind of triumphant sneer.  "Look at you," he said, arms spread wide like he'd just opened a Christmas present. "Guess the golden girl finally fell from the heavens, huh?"


Jamie said nothing. Her eyes barely flicked up to meet him. His voice sounded like static. Meaningless.


But Derek wasn't done.  "Must be hard," he continued, circling her like a vulture. "All that attention, all those medals...and now? You're just another broken body in the hallway. Kinda poetic, don't you think?"


Jamie still didn't respond. Didn't even look at him.  Because she saw her.


Dawn.  At the far end of the hall, half-hidden behind a row of lockers.  Their eyes met.  Just for a second.  Long enough to freeze time.  Long enough for hope to flicker in Jamie's chest like the first warm light in a long, dark night.


But then... Dawn turned away.  She didn't say a word. Didn't move toward her.  She just vanished into the crowd.


And just like that, whatever strength Jamie had summoned to walk through those doors...Crumbled.


She backed her chair away from Derek without a word, and rolled slowly down the corridor. Her heart beat heavy in her chest. Her hands trembled on the joystick. Her eyes stung, but no tears came. She'd already cried too much.


The building blurred around her. Voices faded. And all she could think was:  She didn't look at me.  She really doesn't want me anymore.




*****




St. Francis Rehabilitation Center was bright and sterile, smelling faintly of antiseptic and lemon-scented floor cleaner. A soft radio played classic rock in the background, slightly muffled by the padded walls and curtains that sectioned off each therapy bay.


Jamie Sullivan lay on a padded table, her arms at her sides, eyes half-closed. Her long blonde hair was tied in a loose, lazy braid that rested on her shoulder. She wore a plain athletic tee and shorts, her legs draped with a towel.


Across from her, Mike knelt on a rolling stool.  He was tall, over six feet, with a clean-cut jawline and soft, sea-glass green eyes. His polo shirt hugged his lean frame, and a laminated badge clipped to his waistband read Michael D. Reyes – Medical Intern.


But he didn't carry himself like someone who thought he was important. He had that calm, grounded presence, the kind that made people feel like everything might be okay.


"Okay," he said gently. "We'll start with your right ankle. Just a few rotations. Nice and easy."


Jamie didn't answer. Just nodded, barely perceptible.


Mike took her foot carefully in his hands, supporting the heel in one palm, using the other to gently rotate it outward.


She winced.


"Too much?"


"No," she said softly, her voice hoarse from disuse. "It's fine."


He slowed the movement anyway, his thumb brushing the tendon with practiced care. "You're doing great," he said. "Really."


Jamie gave no reply.


Mike rotated the ankle again, then flexed her foot, guiding the joint in slow, precise movements. Every shift seemed to stretch something stiff or tender. She hissed under her breath, but didn't flinch.


"You know," Mike offered, his tone light, "most people complain way more than you."


Jamie blinked slowly, then turned her eyes toward the ceiling.  "I'm not most people," she said.  There was no pride in the words, just tired truth.


He smiled faintly, but said nothing for a moment. Instead, he moved to her left arm. Carefully, he lifted it from her side and began guiding the wrist in small, gentle circles.


"I saw your floor routine," he said quietly. "Olympic Trials. It showed up on my feed, like, a hundred times. You were incredible."


Jamie didn't look at him. "I don't do that anymore."


He paused. "Maybe not yet."


Jamie's gaze flicked toward him, eyes dull. "Maybe not ever."


The words settled between them, heavy and absolute.  Mike nodded slowly, his hands still carefully working her joints. He didn't argue. He didn't offer clichés. Just said, "Well, today, we're going to try to lift your knee four inches. And if you do that... we'll call it a win."


Jamie stared at the ceiling. Her mouth twitched, not a smile, not really. Just something close.  "Okay," she whispered.




*****




The hallways of the school buzzed with the usual post-class chatter, but for Jamie, everything felt muted, like the world around her was moving in fast forward while she stayed stuck in place.


AP English had just ended. The desks scraped the floor as students filtered out. Jamie remained behind, unmoving in her wheelchair, her expression blank.


Mrs. Lanier approached slowly, clutching a stack of graded essays. She was a soft-spoken woman with sharp eyes, and she'd taught long enough to recognize brilliance when she saw it, and to recognize when that brilliance was flickering.  She placed Jamie's paper gently on her desk. "I graded your essay on Frankenstein, Jamie."


Jamie didn't look up. She didn't reach for the paper.


Mrs. Lanier hesitated, then said gently, "You earned an 82."


Jamie's eyes shifted slightly...no surprise, no disappointment, just quiet acknowledgment.


"For most students, that's a solid grade," Mrs. Lanier continued. "But I know it's not your best."


Jamie didn't respond. She stared at the edge of the desk, fingers resting limply in her lap.


Mrs. Lanier sat on the corner of the desk and folded her hands. "I'm worried about you, Jamie."


Still nothing.


"I've known students with talent before, but what you have, it's rare. You don't just understand literature. You feel it. You breathe it."


A faint flicker crossed Jamie's face, like a distant memory being stirred, but it passed just as quickly.


"I don't want to push," Mrs. Lanier added. "But I thought maybe a change of pace might help."  She reached into her bag and pulled out a slim paperback. It was well-worn, the corners curled, the spine softened by time and use. Green Angel by Alice Hoffman.  "I want you to read the first five chapters this weekend. Then just write me something...a summary, a reaction, anything."


Jamie's eyes finally moved to the book. She took it slowly, holding it like a stranger.


"It's about a girl who survives a tragedy," Mrs. Lanier said, her voice softer now. "And finds her way back... even when it feels like she can't."


Jamie gave the faintest of nods. Not a promise. Not a spark. Just acknowledgement.


Mrs. Lanier stood and offered a faint, hopeful smile. "You don't have to be who you were before, Jamie. Just... come back to us however you can."


Jamie wheeled out of the room in silence, the book resting quietly in her lap.




*****




The air was crisp, heavy with the scent of falling leaves and the golden promise of autumn. Jamie sat on the smooth, familiar surface of the old boulder near the edge of the woods behind her house. Her book lay open in her lap, pages fluttering gently in the breeze.


The light of the late afternoon sun cast long shadows across the ground, stretching the rock's shape into something odd, abstract...something that, in another life, Dawn would have pointed out.


"It looks like a baby bird," she'd said once, sitting beside Jamie, legs folded, eyes full of wonder. "See? Its beak's open. It's hungry."


Back then, Jamie had laughed. She didn't see it at first, but once Dawn said it, she couldn't unsee it.  Now, the shadow was just a shape. The light felt colder. The world felt quieter.


Jamie stared down at the open pages of Green Angel, re-reading the same paragraph over and over again. It was a moment in the story—where the girl, broken and alone, plants seeds in the ash-covered earth even though it seems hopeless.


Jamie closed the book. It should have meant something. But it didn't. Not yet.


With a quiet sigh, she shifted forward and pushed herself upright. Her legs trembled. She still wasn't strong, not really, but she could stand now. Walk, even, for short stretches. It was something. A start.


She turned to go...and froze.


Dawn was there.  Standing at the edge of the path, just a few steps away, like she'd been drawn there by memory or magic. She wore a soft sweater and jeans, her hair pulled back, her eyes wide and glistening.


For a long moment, neither of them said anything.


Jamie's heart pounded in her chest. She opened her mouth—then closed it. She wasn't sure what to say. Was this real? Would Dawn turn and run?


But then... Dawn moved.  Slowly, shakily, she stepped forward. And then, without a word, she dropped to her knees in front of Jamie. Her hands clutched the edges of Jamie's sleeves. Her eyes filled with tears.


"I'm sorry," Dawn whispered. "God, Jamie...I'm so sorry."


Jamie blinked, stunned. "Dawn...what are you...?"


"It was my fault." Her voice cracked. "If I hadn't been there... if you didn't have to push me out of the way, you could've gotten clear. You could've jumped. You would've been fine."


"No...Dawn, that's not..."


"I should've come sooner," Dawn went on, tears falling freely now. "I wanted to. I just...I thought you hated me. I thought... I thought I'd ruined your life."


Jamie's knees gave out. She sank down beside her friend, her breath caught in her throat.


"Dawn," she said, voice trembling. "I thought you hated me."


"What?" Dawn looked up, shocked. "No! Jamie, never. I..." She shook her head. "You saved my life. I didn't know how to face you after that. I didn't think I deserved to."


Jamie reached out, grabbing her friend's hands, clutching them tightly. "I've missed you every day."


Dawn's lips quivered. "I've missed you too."


Jamie pulled her into a hug, and Dawn didn't hesitate. The two of them collapsed into each other, arms wrapped tight, tears soaking into sleeves and hair and skin. It was a long, silent embrace...two hearts, cracked and battered, finding something whole again in the space between them.  Neither of them wanted to let go.


And for the first time in months, Jamie felt something warm stir in her chest. Something real.


Hope.




*****




The air had cooled into a crisp, golden hush. October leaves skittered across the sidewalk outside the rehab center, painting the world in burnt orange and fading gold.  Inside, Jamie sat on a padded bench in the corner of the small gym, wrapped in a pair of sweats. Her long blonde hair was tied back in a loose braid, and for the first time in months, there was a glimmer in her deep blue eyes. A spark Mike hadn't seen since she was brought in.


He'd seen that spark in highlight reels, interviews, magazine covers...but seeing it in person was something else entirely.  It made her look... adorable.


"Okay," he said with a gentle smile, stepping in front of her, clipboard in hand. "I think we're ready for something new today."


Jamie tilted her head, a hint of curiosity dancing behind her eyes.


Mike set the clipboard down and grabbed a pair of small, shiny dumbbells from the nearby rack. "These are five-pounders," he said, handing them over. "Nothing crazy. But you're ready to start strength training."


Jamie blinked. Strength training? She hesitated only a second before reaching out and wrapping her fingers around the smooth metal handles.


The moment her hand closed around the weight, something lit up inside her.  It wasn't just about the rehab anymore.  The cold steel in her palm... the satisfying heft... the way her arm engaged and tightened when she lifted it...it all felt... right. Like something that had been missing suddenly snapped into place.


She curled the dumbbell once.


Then again.


Her lips curved, slow and instinctive. Her heart fluttered. Her skin tingled.  She'd never felt this before.


She loved it.


Mike chuckled, watching the expression on her face shift from cautious to captivated. "You okay?"


Jamie didn't answer right away. She just stared at the weight in her hand, eyes alight with a quiet, blooming wonder.


Then she gave him a grin, small, sweet, but unmistakable.  "I'm okay," she said softly. "Better than okay."  She raised the weight again, stronger this time.


And somewhere deep inside, something that had been broken... began to heal.



*****




The car sat beneath a crumbling overpass on the outskirts of some nowhere town. The sky outside was an indifferent gray, the kind of color that matched the thin layer of dust coating the dashboard. Fast food wrappers littered the floorboards. A single duffel bag sat in the passenger seat, half-zipped, filled with spare clothes, burner phones, and enough cash to last a while... if he was careful.


Vince Callaway...or whatever name he was now...slumped behind the steering wheel, chewing absently on a thumbnail. His once-sleek hair was now dyed a dull, nondescript brown. A coarse beard clung to his face. He'd gained weight, twenty pounds or so. He looked nothing like the man in the news reports.


Good.


He tore open the padded envelope in his lap and slid the contents onto the center console. A new driver's license: Leon Varick. The name gave him chills. It was sharp. Ominous. Powerful. A fresh identity for a new mission.


A pair of credit cards followed. A new phone. All legit-looking enough. It had cost him more than he liked, but it was necessary.


He popped the SIM card into the phone, booted it up, and opened a browser.  His fingers trembled as he typed in his name. Or Jake's name, he corrected himself, jaw tightening.


The results were exactly what he expected.


BREAKING: VINCE CALLAWAY IDENTIFIED AS JAKE MITCHELL, PERSON OF INTEREST IN 2019 DISAPPEARANCE OF BAYLOR GYMNAST QUINN HARPER


There it was. His mother's death. The overdose. The re-opened case. Police speculation that Jake Mitchell had murdered Quinn and disappeared.


"Idiots," he muttered, bitterly. "They don't know anything."


He kept scrolling, past old mugshots of his mother, past blurry photos of himself from college...and then he saw it.  His breath caught.


It was a photo. A new one.


Jamie Sullivan Returns to Training With Rehab Specialist
She was smiling. Her arm bent slightly as she held a small weight. The article was a puff piece about her recovery.


But Vince didn't read the words.  All he saw was her face. That radiant, perfect face. That smile. Directed at someone else. Some guy. Some... trainer.


His chest tightened. His hand clenched around the phone.


No.


No.


She was his!


Not the world's. Not the media's. Not some gym's. And definitely not that trainer's.


His!


She wasn't supposed to survive. She wasn't supposed to come back. She was supposed to need him.  And now... she was smiling at someone else!


A low growl bubbled in his throat.


This wasn't over.  Not by a long shot.

horst11

You are a very talented writer! Thanks, looking forward to seeing where this is going...

nickolai

Will never complain about another chapter from you brother.  Keep them coming!

erocha75

What a wonderful story. Jamie's backstory is so deliciously fleshed out (poor Derek, he seems a sympathetic character thus far). I do NOT complain about it being mostly setup so far: I feel that it adds lots of depth to Jamie's character and story, and I feel that later developments will more than justify this amount of setup. Plus this latest drama with Vince is quite exciting! Btw, furthermore on the whole backstory we have been offered so far: I do believe it would've been beneficial if we had been shown a bit more about Dawn' and her relationship with Jamie. She is proclaimed by Jamie as essentially the most important person in her life, but we know very little about Dawn (other than she is artsy and people consider her sorta weird/spacey), and we see rather little of them interacting.

Anyway, I am very grateful with the author for sharing this wonderful story with us. I can't wait for the next chapter(s)! Moooore, pls!!

phil123

Hope for more. Very difefrent story approach. Liked it

Eljimbo

Definitely a slow burn, but I love it! Hope we get to a whole lot more!

Jeremy Lightning

So, I guess I was expecting a different story, because of the way the first two chapters were written, that the third and fourth chapter were like a completely different story to me. I guess I wasn't looking for anything deep, I was looking for the standard spoonmaster tropes of woman who is incredibly beautiful and is also insanely strong, fast and athletic. Does that mean I have hated the last two chapters, no, but I am looking forward to seeing Jamie get back to her best physically, mentally, and emotionally. I guess this last chapter was a step in the right direction, though, so whatever happens next, I will be here for it. k+!
Don't forget to K+ if you enjoy my writing.

Great stories about strong and muscular women and girls, hope you enjoy!