Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by rugbyguy39 on 10 Apr 2014
  • Newton said we stand on the shoulders of giants. Here's a set of shoulders so giant I can barely stand it. Thanks for reviving some great memories.
  • #17 by lesbianbob on 13 Apr 2014
  • I first saw Kay Baxter when she was 115 lbs. and featured in a 1980 Sports Illustrated stories about female bodybuilding, "Here She is, Miss, Well, What?":  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1123276/1/index.htm  (no pics)  She looked great but was like a typical top FBB at the time -- big legs and defined uppber body without much size there.  I believe the only women with big upper bodies back then were Laura Combes and Carla Dunlap.  But then a year or two later Kay Baxter appeared in a contest weighing 130 lbs, apparently all of the extra weight in her upper body, and she looked much bigger than those two or any of the other contestants. 
  • #18 by LuvBigChix on 13 Apr 2014
  • I first saw Kay Baxter when she was 115 lbs. and featured in a 1980 Sports Illustrated stories about female bodybuilding, "Here She is, Miss, Well, What?":  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1123276/1/index.htm  (no pics)  She looked great but was like a typical top FBB at the time -- big legs and defined uppber body without much size there.  I believe the only women with big upper bodies back then were Laura Combes and Carla Dunlap.  But then a year or two later Kay Baxter appeared in a contest weighing 130 lbs, apparently all of the extra weight in her upper body, and she looked much bigger than those two or any of the other contestants.

It was the 1982 Ms. Olympia. Trained by Don Ross, Kay went all out for muscle, even dabbling for the first time in steroids. She later said she and Ross figured she was so big and ripped compared to the other competitors, she would finish either first or last. When she arrived at the Olympia, according to bodybuilding journalist Reg Bradford, Kay and others, jaws hit the floor even seeing her fully clothed. Bradford wrote in his contest account for BodyPower that people went around whispering to each other, "Have you seen Kay?" One competitor, Kay said, came up to her crying, "That's NOT what a female bodybuilder should look like!" She finished mid-pack, but left as one of the three most talked about competitors behind winner Rachel McLish and runner up Carla Dunlap.
    • LuvBigChix
  • #19 by rugbyguy39 on 13 Apr 2014
  • There are pictures if you use the "view this issue" link on the story you linked to.

The story, as it appeared in the magazine, starts on page 64.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19800317&mode=reader_vault
  • #20 by jdm022 on 22 Apr 2014

• A few more scans for ya....ENJOY :)

:)
  • #21 by LuvBigChix on 23 Apr 2014
  • A few more scans for ya....ENJOY :)

From an October or November 1983 Muscle & Fitness. Gold cover. When my teen FBB fan self saw these photos, I slalomed swiftly through the aisles to the cash register. It's one of four or five M&Fs from the era that I kept.

The issue before or after had a Julie McNew arms training article. Similar reaction from me.
    • LuvBigChix
  • #22 by jdm022 on 14 Jun 2015

• Another great pic of Kay....ENJOY!!!

• #23 by mooveeguy on 15 Jun 2015
  • Her deltoid and serratus detail are amazing in that pic. Along with the quad development.
  • #24 by maggotbrain73 on 10 Nov 2015
  • #25 by jdm022 on 05 Dec 2015

• Another Kay find.....

• #26 by maggotbrain73 on 04 Mar 2016
  • #27 by Sgt.Baker on 09 Jun 2016
  • #28 by Sgt.Baker on 14 Jun 2016
  • #29 by JADP21 on 14 Jun 2016
  • She was great, it's a shame that she passed away.
    • JADP21
  • #30 by 87fg on 26 Jun 2016
  • Bill Wick was a lucky man. Kay was his wife and both of them made mixed wrestling what it is today.
    • 87fg
Pages:
Actions