LIVE NOW
Live Muscular Women
Muscular Women Are Live Right Now
Join private chats instantly. Real models. Real-time interaction.
120+ models online now
Start Watching →
NEWS
Welcome to Saradas – The premier female bodybuilding archive.
Support Saradas Keep the archive alive with Bitcoin
BTC QR
1QDxcxUx8pnsZvauyVxTqaJrWkeNhQrPdK Donate →
Main Menu

Unnatural Growth

Started by GLKnight, June 03, 2023, 05:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biceps108

All of your stories are always so good! That being said, having read Your House, the alarm bells in my head are going off, followed by an air raid siren. Loving it.


HumanPersonBeing

Huh, I was wondering how the chemicals in Wyoming would reach her. Now, it's coming together.

yuiii007

Nice update. Hope that writer block's dead soon enough.

sgsg69

Interesting premise, can't wait to see how you pull it together..........K+

Sounder9-

The plot (and Shelly methinks) thickens.

GLKnight

I came to the realization that I can't do this anymore.

I put in way too much work for so little. I have a budget of less than a weekly minimum wage back in 2004, but it's one week's pay for an entire month. I cranked out several HUNDRED installments across a three year timespan to little notice and even more apathy. I created worlds of cyborgs and genetic experiments, monsters and magic, punk rock goddesses in a Celestial Battle Of The Bands, an ordinary family making due and an extradimensional invasion heading into a global war for the survival of humanity.

And I did it all for free because I liked writing. But whenever I reminded people that they could support me if they liked what I did, it was like I was speaking into an empty room with the lights turned off.

Words of support are one thing, but I literally cannot afford to do this anymore. I'm only surviving on $150. I shut down my Patreon because it dawned on me that no one gives a single flying fuck about what I do. I've been trying to make comics and regular forms of literature on my SFW side. I've been trying to build a universe of original Slashers. And not even there have I received a single iota of support beyond anything vocal so I keep writing for free.

On both my NSFW side AND my SFW side, I've been alone doing this. I've been making entire UNIVERSES with complete worldbuilding and interesting concepts - Muscular Nazi TERF aliens trying to dictate what is and isn't feminine (and masculine, because TERF ideology, which is focused on the spreading of both misogyny AND misandry, is centered in White Supremacy), what is the attraction boundary between manliness and femininity, what is the central conceit of power if power is truly neutral, what is the limitation of humanity and what is its role in our evolution in regards to the idea of social order that is more designed to control who we are than what we can truly do and so much more. And all of those are just the things I posted on my NSFW accounts.

I can't keep doing this for free. And it's become REALLY fucking obvious that no one really wants to support my work. So fuck it, I'm done. If you want to continue any of my stories, feel free to message me and I'll send to you the details and notes I have for whichever story you want. I'm barely surviving and it's not fair.

Have at it. I quit.

SheWrites

That kind of comes with the territory of writing in general, not just NSFW stories, although there can be considerably more profitability in that area depending on the niche. Sex sells, as they say.

Point is, even published authors who've managed to break into big literary agencies, on average, don't even make even close to minimum wage. The average author can expect an advance of about $1000 to $10,000 and 5-18% royalties. And book sales fluctuate, a lot. You only really start making money when you strike it big, publish a lot of industry-standard works, or write a bestseller that manages to stay afloat for many years to come. How many authors do this? Not many. In fact, it's still only a side-hustle for the average author, and yes, they're forced to work regular jobs because of it, even though they're dedicating a lot of their time into it.

I'm speaking as an author who's published two science fiction books and a fantasy book through literary agencies. I do it mostly because it feels good to complete a story that I myself find enjoyable, and that I know other people do, too. I also work a regular nine-to-five. Because it's necessary that I do.

QuoteOn both my NSFW side AND my SFW side, I've been alone doing this. I've been making entire UNIVERSES with complete worldbuilding and interesting concepts - Muscular Nazi TERF aliens trying to dictate what is and isn't feminine (and masculine, because TERF ideology, which is focused on the spreading of both misogyny AND misandry, is centered in White Supremacy), what is the attraction boundary between manliness and femininity, what is the central conceit of power if power is truly neutral, what is the limitation of humanity and what is its role in our evolution in regards to the idea of social order that is more designed to control who we are than what we can truly do and so much more. And all of those are just the things I posted on my NSFW accounts.

This actually made me question whether or not you were upset that you weren't making money off of this, or if you believed your ideas, writing style, and so on, were worthy of making a lot of money? While writing is inherently subjective, it's not necessarily true that your work is above and beyond what we can expect of most writing, SFW or NSFW. Even the themes come naturally to any story that has the potential to fall into an arcing structure, so it's not that there was extra depth put in here. The depth was found as it was written, which happens with even the most beginner of stories.

If you want my opinion -- which you probably don't -- I think you're a middle-grade writer. You have experience writing, but not a lot of critique. By 'a lot', I mean a million words of actionable critique. There are mistakes, and there are issues with your stories. Some issues are big and some are very basic, down to the bones of writing itself.

That said, it makes perfect sense that it wouldn't amass considerable earnings to live on.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

hatour

I have written many fictional stories and non-fiction articles. I do all that work for self satisfaction. As the above writer says, it is extremely difficult to make writing a profession. I'm not even a middling writer. I'm a hack that just writes what turns me on and wants to take anyone who is interested along for the ride. If you remove the expectation of making money from the equation, you will enjoy writing a lot more. Just my two cents.

HumanPersonBeing

What they said. Except for the part about your writing. I think it's really good especially for this niche.

But the point stands that if you work on a creative endeavor for the profit, you'll just end up disappointed. It's not just a problem with prose writers, either. The comic industry has this problem (see#comicsbrokeme). Screenwriters are now on strike because of how little they make.

I've heard that in the early 2000's, it wasn't unheard of for people to make money on their webcomics through donations alone. Times have changed, though. The price of pretty much everything has gone up, but wages remain stagnant. Corporations want more and more profit without understanding that it's unsustainable, especially without their employees making enough to pay for many of their products. This will not end well!

Anyway, my point is don't blame the people for not subscribing to your Patreon because they're probably in the same exact position as you. I know I am. There is only so much disposable income for us to spread around.

GLKnight

I'M SURVIVING. ON ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS. UNITED STATES CURRENCY. A MONTH.

I literally can't afford to keep creating.

I'm not expecting anyone to support me. But I can't keep making stuff if I'm constantly on the verge of screaming. It's not about the money or donations or anything. It's the fact that I'm not even surviving right now.

I've had to cut back to one meal a day for a few days a week, even with help from SNAP benefits.

Stop telling me what I'm "truly feeling". I can't write because I'm literally howling in pain, both physically and emotionally.

HumanPersonBeing

Okay. You made it sound like you have a problem with people not financially supporting your work. In fact, you were pretty explicit about it.

But I'm going to forget all that and ask: Is this your only source of income, or is the $150/month from something else? Because if it's the former, don't do this to yourself! Like that other person said, most writers have other jobs. It's nearly impossible to make a living on creative pursuits alone. I hope that changes within our lifetimes, but that's the system we have now.

Take a break, find another source of income (assuming you don't have some restrictive disability), and then, if you still feel like it, you can come back to writing.

SheWrites

Honestly, I was under the impression that he had another job and the $150 a month was coming from this creative pursuit. Now I have a bigger question: Do you not have another source of income?

Surviving on $150 a month doesn't seem even remotely possible unless you're not paying any bills, insurance, or just about anything. Your energy should be put towards getting a job if that's the case, not towards this. If you banked on this making a lot of money, you may have miscalculated greatly.

Like, that includes your other writing pursuits. I don't understand how you ever had time to do this to begin with. I'd be making a lot of phone calls.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

superlurker

I'm published, two trilogies through a major publishing concern, and about a dozen novels under a different nom de plume self-published through Amazon. I earn about enough that between that and my pension I can technically afford to not have another job. But I do. My father has had close to three dozen books published and worked a regular job and conducted research in his field. At 80 he is in fact still working that regular job despite having more than enough money to not have to work ever again.

There's no point in being a starving artist when you can be an artist and a gainfully employed person. Most of us write these stories as a way to unwind from more structured writing, or a day job, or the like. I sincerely hope nobody is relying on stories like these for a primary income source.

GLKnight

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Honestly, I was under the impression that he had another job and the $150 a month was coming from this creative pursuit. Now I have a bigger question: Do you not have another source of income?

Surviving on $150 a month doesn't seem even remotely possible unless you're not paying any bills, insurance, or just about anything. Your energy should be put towards getting a job if that's the case, not towards this. If you banked on this making a lot of money, you may have miscalculated greatly.

Like, that includes your other writing pursuits. I don't understand how you ever had time to do this to begin with. I'd be making a lot of phone calls.

I'm taking care of my mother. When I'm not doing everything around here for her, I'm writing. I'm also an insomniac, so I usually work on stuff until my brain finally shorts out.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm published, two trilogies through a major publishing concern, and about a dozen novels under a different nom de plume self-published through Amazon. I earn about enough that between that and my pension I can technically afford to not have another job. But I do. My father has had close to three dozen books published and worked a regular job and conducted research in his field. At 80 he is in fact still working that regular job despite having more than enough money to not have to work ever again.

There's no point in being a starving artist when you can be an artist and a gainfully employed person. Most of us write these stories as a way to unwind from more structured writing, or a day job, or the like. I sincerely hope nobody is relying on stories like these for a primary income source.

This ties into SheWrites' questions.

1. I don't have a job. In all honesty, the work that IS available is outside what I can do, given my responsibilities and the only time I have free.

2. I don't have a car. I can't even walk to work because I live in a rural area with too many stretches where a person can easily get run over (I should know, I've been run over five times including a few on my way to work).

3. I literally have to schedule everything for myself around unreliable people.

4. I don't rely on writing for a primary income source. I'm usually too busy taking care of my mother's home (including her garden, plumbing, splitting firewood, maintaining the property, etc.) I also handle her finances, her bills, cook her food and more.

5. I can't even work nights because the area where I live devalues public transit so much that it's defunded it a few times.

This is 100% an S.O.L. scenario. And either I keep at it and continue risking my health, or give up and find some way to survive. And sadly, the latter half is the realistic option.

SheWrites

Interesting.

Realistically you should be getting paid by the government for being a caretaker for your mother, whom I assume has a critical illness of some sort that demands that she be cared for. My aunt makes money this way looking after her mother (my grandmother) because she has dementia. She makes more than enough to live off, and that's not including the payments my grandmother receives from the government.

That said, it might not be the same everywhere. Depending on your age, you might also be available for extra aids from the government to help your living situation. That also depends on where you are.

TERMS OF JOBS:

Aside from a personal caretaker being considered a job in most European countries (not so sure about everywhere else), you could also look for remote work, part-time remote work if required. Companies like Infosys offer great and flexible opportunities for such cases. If you find yourself in a Zoom interview for such a position, then you very well may get it if you explain your circumstances well enough. Call centre companies like this often hire external hiring agents to find suitable employees, but what they don't tell management is that they also consider their circumstances heavily, boiling down to "Does this person need the job?"

From where it stands, yes, you do need it.

Don't even worry about equipment; they send you everything you need, including a VPN box.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login