Forum Saradas

Donate today to show love to your community!
gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
steroidify

gfx gfx
parapharma Advertising
gfxgfx

Welcome to Forum Saradas! Female Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure & Bikini

Do you love female bodybuilding and events like the Olympia and the Arnold Classic? Are you interested in female bodybuilding, fitness, figure & bikini?
If so check out and join our female bodybuilding forum! Saradas is the oldest and most popular female bodybuilding, fitness forum.

🔥 At Saradas you will find the most amazing and rare pictures of probably every female professional bodybuilder who has ever competed.   
🔥 You can keep up with female bodybuilding news from all over the world and hear the latest on your favorite bodybuilder.
🔥 You will find the latest updates on bodybuilding events like the Olympia and the Arnold Classic.

Saradas is your one stop female bodybuilding resource. Come and join us!

Saradas - The Internet Female Bodybuilding Database

gfx gfx
gfx
578384 Posts in 73619 Topics by 28968 Members - Latest Member: Asddsaasd May 04, 2024, 09:48:25 am
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Forum Saradas  |  Female BodyBuilding & Fitness & Figure - Members Area  |  Memorable Female Muscle & Hall of Legends  |  Alison Brundage
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Alison Brundage  (Read 348626 times)

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Female Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini
Alison Brundage
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 06:16:35 pm »

Some older than time photos of the original backyard gym where I did all my training.

Forum Saradas

Alison Brundage
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 06:16:35 pm »

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: Alison Brundage
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 06:28:56 pm »
Another look at this pic I just posted...this was the Nationals in Vegas...?82.  I had been lifting a year or so.  I look at this picture and what I see here is starvation and dehydration...all so that I would appear ripped.   I always looked so much better 1-2 days after a contest...   I definately did not have a handle on getting the most out of a peak

Muscles sure look a lot better when the muscle cells have a little water in them !

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 07:42:01 pm »
On the benefits of a low carbohydrate , high protein diet with regard to cancer progression a/o development:  ( for all you Adkins fans out there)

I just received a new newsletter that I get on general health and medical research, that often debunks what's touted as "truth" by the pharmaceutical industry to medical doctors.
This abstract I'm enclosing here states that research is showing that low carb high protein diet ( as tested in rats) reduced cancer cell growth in in further research, restricted cancer formation...humm intereting !! 

Display Settings:AbstractFormatSummarySummary (text)AbstractAbstract (text)MEDLINEXMLPMID ListApply
Send to: Choose DestinationFileClipboardCollectionsE-mailOrderMy BibliographyCitation manager
FormatSummary (text)Abstract (text)MEDLINEXMLPMID ListCSVCreate File
1 selected item: 21673053FormatSummarySummary (text)AbstractAbstract (text)MEDLINEXMLPMID ListMeSH and Other DataE-mailSubjectAdditional textE-mail "SPAM" filtering software notice
Add to Clipboard
Add to CollectionsOrder articles
Add to My BibliographyGenerate a file for use with external citation management software.

Create File

Cancer Res. 2011 Jul 1;71(13):4484-93. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-3973. Epub 2011 Jun 14.
A low carbohydrate, high protein diet slows tumor growth and prevents cancer initiation.
Ho VW, Leung K, Hsu A, Luk B, Lai J, Shen SY, Minchinton AI, Waterhouse D, Bally MB, Lin W, Nelson BH, Sly LM, Krystal G.
SourceThe Terry Fox Laboratory, BC Cancer Research Centre, BC Cancer Agency, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Gastroenterology, BC Children's Hospital & University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Abstract
Since cancer cells depend on glucose more than normal cells, we compared the effects of low carbohydrate (CHO) diets to a Western diet on the growth rate of tumors in mice. To avoid caloric restriction-induced effects, we designed the low CHO diets isocaloric with the Western diet by increasing protein rather than fat levels because of the reported tumor-promoting effects of high fat and the immune-stimulating effects of high protein. We found that both murine and human carcinomas grew slower in mice on diets containing low amylose CHO and high protein compared with a Western diet characterized by relatively high CHO and low protein. There was no weight difference between the tumor-bearing mice on the low CHO or Western diets. Additionally, the low CHO-fed mice exhibited lower blood glucose, insulin, and lactate levels. Additive antitumor effects with the low CHO diets were observed with the mTOR inhibitor CCI-779 and especially with the COX-2 inhibitor Celebrex, a potent anti-inflammatory drug. Strikingly, in a genetically engineered mouse model of HER-2/neu-induced mammary cancer, tumor penetrance in mice on a Western diet was nearly 50% by the age of 1 year whereas no tumors were detected in mice on the low CHO diet. This difference was associated with weight gains in mice on the Western diet not observed in mice on the low CHO diet. Moreover, whereas only 1 mouse on the Western diet achieved a normal life span, due to cancer-associated deaths, more than 50% of the mice on the low CHO diet reached or exceeded the normal life span. Taken together, our findings offer a compelling preclinical illustration of the ability of a low CHO diet in not only restricting weight gain but also cancer development and progression.

©2011 AACR.

Offline Lucrezia Borgia

• Activity:
    0%
  • 'Strenght comes from Will' - Greta Bohm
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »
I would encourge young lifters to eat well, train hard and learn from a professional.  You will benefit in the long run a lot more in that than to launch into creating bulk  by taking some muscle-building drug.  I never took steroids.  Please....don't go there

Amen. As a ex-young lifter involved in roids for a very small amount of time, I had to say to young lifters out there: listen to Alison. Even if I know fbb is going exactly in the opposite direction...

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
Gold's classic
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 10:29:42 pm »
This was from a photo shoot taken a day after the Gold's classic.   
( I had some contest photos inserted here...but when looked at them after I plugged them in, the posing suite was a different color than I used at the Golds....so I deleted those shots.   Some other contest I guess).

photo by WPW Magazine

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%

Offline Lucrezia Borgia

• Activity:
    0%
  • 'Strenght comes from Will' - Greta Bohm
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 11:34:35 pm »

tremndous pics there Alison...you seem big twice your opponents in the last pics!

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2013, 12:57:19 am »
Movveeguy
No I don't think they covered ( or were able to cover) the contest in pics.  They did however do my photo shoot at that time. 

racerx009

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 02:09:53 am »
This thread has been so inspiring Alison, thank you so much. I became aware of female bodybuilding in 1982 as a teen and it utterly shattered my prior concept of what a woman "should" look like. I've never looked back. You, along with Kay Baxter, Pillow, and Laura Combes were among the pioneering cohort of female bodybuilders to inspire the likes of Clare Furr (long my sentimental favorite) and Cory Everson particularly to push FBB to heights of popularity it achieved during its golden age of the mid to late 1980's. As a consequence of that very popularity women's fitness in general was promoted and encouraged to an extent that it never had before. Again, thank you.

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
Inspiration : Positive and negative effects
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2013, 04:48:34 pm »
Racer:
I am honored to inspire someone...thank you

That said I have certain negative feelings about being party to what ultimately happened in the field of female BB and that is: taking steroids as a fast track.  It's bad. bad for the health,the personality( aggression) and it's cheating.  Natural bodybuilders have little chance to succeed in contests vs the gals using drugs.

I began to lift weights when I was 35 yr old on the advice of a friend.  I was lamenting feeling old and getting fat.  She advised me to join a gym.  Now the LAST thing I wanted was more muscles...   I was made fun of as a teenager for being a muscular girl and had a ton of bad feelings about myself still.  Ok so my husband and I join a gym,  With a basic routine using moderate weight and a diet that eliminated high caloric foods, I was quickly feeling better about myself.  I was introduced to a guy making lifting belts who was also a trainer.  He convinced me to try bodybuilding as Hawaii was considering it's first BB contest for women.  In 6 months I won that first contest with his help. I'd have to say I was suddenly feeling a lot better about myself as a muscular woman (LOL).  It was 1979 .  In 81 I did the Golds Classic and saw Venice Beach for the first time.  It was the first time I saw ladies who were taking steroids.  I had gone to Gold's gym and there were these monster women with bad skin lifting enormous weight. I knew for certain I did not want that to be me...ever.  Between 79 and 83 I pretty much exhausted my desire for fame centerstage and left the contest scene.  Certainly I left with feeling a whole lot better about myself as a muscular woman ! I packed up my photos in a carton and stopped buying magazines.  I still lifted and surfed.

Now, so many years later I'm kissing 70 (68 yr old) and feeling once again old an out of shape like I did way back then when I was 35,only worse.  I found Saradas looking for some of my old pictures an was so encouraged by fans I never knew I had ( makes me want to cry).   I'm encouraged to once again do what I know how to do to get back in shape.  I am enjoying conversations with gals who are now the age I was when I started.  Gals who were inspired by my pictures way back then and sadly took steroids to do well in contests.  Now THAT makes me want to cry!  I so do not want to inspire anyone to go there.  It's so not worth it.  Some day you will  be my age and will come to realize how important & fragile health is and how much harder it is to maintain it. Some of my dear friends are now dead; that's what happens at my age, they die!  I realize now all the more, how important health is !

If I inspire anyone .... it's my hope it's toward a happy and healthy lifestyle that serves you well as years go by.  If it's lifting to improve how you feel about yourself, and feel physically...go for it !

Thank you all for how you have encouraged me.  I truly appreciate every one of you.

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »
Moveeguy:   
Re: WPW Mag coverage of the Gold's Classic
Well when I look through my box of collected photos and mags, I'll definately look for it.  You might try to contact Bill Jentz with WPW.  He'll tell you.

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2013, 05:27:47 pm »
Racer
On gaining confidence (I'm almost ashamed to share this, as it's so prideful)

I'm posting here a picture of my return home after my very last contest which was on the island of Maui.  I left Oahu for Maui with the clothes on my back and my posing suit and makup in a bag and three extra suitcases and a screwdriver.   I came back having won the contest and as well trophy for each best body part ( I won them all) 
Picture here is returning with suitcases of trophies and my husband and I screwing them together.  It was that contest where Larry Scott was guest poser He was simultaneously Mr America, Mr Universe, and Mr Olympia and to this day one of the all time greats of bodybuilding !  I went out in a blaze of glory and definately was feeling a heck of lot better about myself than I did when I was 18 !  I was 38 yr old.  How I thank bodybuilding, the wonderful sponsors who supported women's bodybuilding in Hawaii...they were most generous ! ...and Bill Jentz/Steve Wennerstrom at WPW who were my cheerleaders then.  I'm so grateful

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2013, 07:47:23 pm »
No...but she was so kind to send me the full set of her photos.  I never saw her perform in them.   She made all of them too !  She carved out her own groove with style.
UPDATE:
I went back to the WSP site and what you are looking for is there!
Click on the link on the WSP Magazine page: WASP/WPP/WSP Magazines.   Those are the old black and white mags they producted before the glossy color mag.  They are available for download at under $5.00
On quick survey here's issues you want:
WSP Sept Oct 1981...Anita Gandol on cover.  Pillow is mentioned in the mag
WSP Apr 1982 ...Alison Brundage on the cover.  My life story
WSP Sept Oct 83...Pillow on the cover and my hunch is her life story.  I believe I saw that the coverage of the Gold's classic was in that issue. 

Check it out....you will be glad you did

Alisn

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2013, 12:04:45 am »
At least you know where  your source is.  WPW has a wealth of vintage material.  As much as you and your lady friend admire Pillow you owe it to yourself to scrape up $5.00 and buy that old magazine.    I also encourage others out there who are interested in learning about naturally muscular women and seeing their pictures to go to WPW and see the enormity of what they have to offer there.  Of course they have recent champs in all their glory...

Forum Saradas  |  Female BodyBuilding & Fitness & Figure - Members Area  |  Memorable Female Muscle & Hall of Legends  |  Alison Brundage

gfxgfx
Forum Saradas does not host any files on its own servers.
gfx
It only points to various links on the Internet that already exist.
It is recommended to buy Original Video, CD, DVD's and pictures only.
gfx
Mobile View