Pages:
Actions
  • #436 by alison brundage on 16 Jul 2014
  • Pics from my latest surf trip.  Only one cracked rib this time.  This first pic is what happens on a steep drop.  Strapped on... I have to transfer weight to the back of the board or it does a nose dive.    They don't see wave ski riding here....so this one always strikes them as wild and crazy.

/i/eyURL] Surf was big   
  • #437 by zig563 on 16 Jul 2014
  • Good work Alison. I am hopeful you keep surfing on for many more years. Nice pics. You  are pretty darn skilled it appears to me. I've only surfed a couple of times and it was a trial and error experience. Mostly errors. Nice to hear things are well and only one cracked rib. Not bad. :rock:
  • #438 by alison brundage on 17 Jul 2014
  • Good work Alison. I am hopeful you keep surfing on for many more years. Nice pics. You  are pretty darn skilled it appears to me. I've only surfed a couple of times and it was a trial and error experience. Mostly errors. Nice to hear things are well and only one cracked rib. Not bad. :rock:

Hey thanks Zig...always good to hear from you !~  On the rib and exercise.   Yup , the last day I went out with that cracked rib and gave it a go.  All was well until I really gave it some muscle and engaged the lat on that side.....then the pain.   Makes you realize how much you need these muscles at 100% to function.  Eh I could have endured, but my sense was it was not 100% cracked through and why risk a longer recovery with possibly making it worse.   Got home and the yard was thick and overgrown.  Man the jungle really takes over here in the mountainous jungle of Panama in a month!  I was able to use the machete and haul tons of crap without pain ...well, without  too much pain...all minor.   Life is treating me well and I am thankful !

Alison
  • #439 by zig563 on 17 Jul 2014
  • Good decisions Alison. Listen to your body. Some of us (like me) might have been dumb enough to go back and then an injury becomes a bigger injury. I am thankful you are ok and doing well. The ribs are always tough. I just bruised one after a collision with another big man and it still stings a week later. Nothing major, but I am thankful we had some rain and time off. He sent me flying. An odd play as a great hitter topped it and it went about 10 feet. Our catcher had to get it to me at 1st and around him and hung me out to dry....so to speak....threw it right where he was running in the baseline...at an angle you rarely see at 1st. I had just enough time to focus on keeping my foot home and to brace for impact. The runner saw it coming at the very end, but he went flying too. Fun stuff then to go flying and land  hard and keep the ball at my age. I looked the next day and had all this color and soreness...on my side. I am grateful I had some time to heal.

I've been trying some new training and dietary methods. I am going to shot you an e-mail about it soon. It is really working for me. I feel 3-5 years younger than last year about 3 months in and with a few cheats.

I am glad you are well. Looking fit....kind of like a jungle queen in your pic. :cool2:
  • #440 by alison brundage on 02 Aug 2014

• I'm off for a couple more weeks of surfing.    I'll keep you posted
    Alison

• #441 by alison brundage on 13 Sep 2014
  • Back from the surf. Fortunately I was not decapitated !

• #442 by zig563 on 13 Sep 2014

Impressive skills Alison. Balance and fitness required.
  • #443 by alison brundage on 13 Sep 2014

• "Takes balance"
    Zig,I went from stand up surfing to strapped on wave ski paddle surfing 20 years ago when I got a balance disorder after having brain surgery for a tumor close to the acoustic ( hearing) nerve.   When I move quickly ...especially jumping to my feet if I should have water splashed in my face and i can't see...I have no balance at all.  So long story short, I have poor balance and that's exactly why I do this ski thing now.  It's sort of a "handicapped version" of surfing !   I have a handicap sticker on the side of my rig ! (laughing)

The after brain surgery fun picture.  Golden opportunity to look cool
    Alison
  • #444 by LuvBigChix on 15 Sep 2014

Call it a "handicapped version of surfing" if you will, but that's pretty cool at any age.
    • LuvBigChix
  • #445 by zig563 on 16 Sep 2014

Call it a "handicapped version of surfing" if you will, but that's pretty cool at any age.

Did not know that Alison. It still looks pretty darn tough. Thanks for sharing.
  • #446 by alison brundage on 20 Sep 2014

• Surf was huge !   I cheated death once again.    Helps maintain respect with the young folks out there.  Surf rarely gets this big and all the youngsters ( under 40 yr old) are under gunned with boards that are too small to catch the wave.   I have few moments to shine....and this is one of them.  I feel blessed.    Alison

Alison
  • #447 by Sar-Net on 21 Sep 2014

• Surf was huge !   I cheated death once again.    Helps maintain respect with the young folks out there.  Surf rarely gets this big and all the youngsters ( under 40 yr old) are under gunned with boards that are too small to catch the wave.   I have few moments to shine....and this is one of them.  I feel blessed.    Alison

Alison

Alison it looks like your the nut case, UM I mean "thrill seeker" who goes out surfing when a hurricane is coming?
  • #448 by alison brundage on 21 Sep 2014

• Surf was huge !   I cheated death once again.    Helps maintain respect with the young folks out there.  Surf rarely gets this big and all the youngsters
    ( under 40 yr old) are under gunned with boards that are too small to catch the wave.   I have few moments to shine....and this is one of them.  I feel blessed.    Alison

Alison
    Yes...that would be me.....(laughing).  The fact that I'm strapped onto this little surf riding kayak adds to the thrill factor.Under the water are clumps of lava rock (thus the helmet) that are sometimes unfortunate to encounter....more excitement.   I can't get enough....  6 months and I'm 70 yr old.  I never know when the last wave might be my last so I get and much bang I can for my buck !

Back home now pumping iron.....  (Pudgy Stockton there with the one-handed lift)......................................Alison
  • #449 by alison brundage on 01 Oct 2014
  • Are you sure that photo is Pudgy Stockton? It certainly looks old enough to be you Alison.   ;) (and yes I know that is really Pudgy Stockton)
    Nah...my breasts aren't that big.   My trainer had the chest !

........ and that would be a joint there! ( performance enhancing drug of sorts)
    ALISON
  • #450 by alison brundage on 06 Oct 2014
  • Back in the day:
    ....ALISON
Pages:
Actions