Female BodyBuilding & Fitness & Figure - Members Area > All rules and guidelines - FAQ | News & Announcements

Guide to The Post Box and General Guide on Posting.

(1/6) > >>

Sar-Net:

Guide to The Post Box and General Guide on Posting.

Please make sure you have read Forum Rules and Banned File Hosts before making any posts.

This guide is written for the novice, but may provide useful info to all users of the forum.

Below are clickable links to each part of this guide.
These links should provide easy access to the info you need.

1.) Opening the Post Box
2.) Features of the Post Box
3.) Adding Text to your posts and use of Text formatting tools
4.) Using the Post Emoticon/Icons
5.) Adding Images to your post
6.) List of Image Hosts
7.) Adding Files and Video to your post
8.) Posting large files and videos in multiple parts
9.) Making video image previews from videos - Various media players
10.) Making video image previews from videos - Windows Media player
11.) Making video thumbnail images from videos
12.) List of Mirroring File and Video Hosts
13.) List of Standard File and Video Hosts
14.) How to add Flash Video to your post
15.) List of Flash video sites
16.) How to insert Site Links into your post
17.) How to create Hidden content in your posts
18.) How to compress files using Windows/Mac OSX internal Zip Utility
19.) How to compress files using WinZip
20.) How to compress files using WinRar
21.) How to use WinRar to create a multi-part rar
22.) Using Hj-split to split large files for upload
23.) Using Xtremsplit to split large files for upload
24.) Applications for File host Upload

Sar-Net:

Opening the Post Box.

Now most of you are going "Do we really need to know how to open the post Box?".

Well actually I expect not, but just in case if you refer to the edited image bellow the two blue arrows point to the reply buttons which are at the top and bottom of topics(threads).   These are the basic way of opening a new post box.

Now what I really wanted to talk about is depicted by the green arrow, it points to the "Quote button".   This button is really useful if you want to reply to someone else's comments, images, etc.   What will happen is you will get something like this(See Example quote below.) in the reply box.   Now one of my pet peeves is when someone replies to someone else's post and doesn't use the "quote" or at least copy the text, image, etc. to their post.   So you have to go back threw the topic and try to figure out what they are talking about.   It really gets messed up when topics are merged.  Then it can be almost impossible to figure out what they are talking about.

Example quote

--- Quote from: Sar-Net on October 27, 2014, 10:56:32 am ---
Comments, image links, video links, etc. from the post you clicked "quote" on.

--- End quote ---

Now it is considered rude to put your reply to the message above the quote, and so you should generally put your reply bellow the quote.  You can edit the quote.  Its generally good form to put some sort of message in the quote if you edit it.   I generally just put "...snip..." to show I cut out parts of the quoted post.  Something like this...

Example edited quote

--- Quote from: Sar-Net on October 27, 2014, 10:56:32 am ---
...snip... video links, etc. ...snip...

--- End quote ---

This is the image I noted above with the blue arrows on the two "reply" at the top end bottom of threads and the green arrow for "quote".

And below we have depicted the basic Post Box.

Sar-Net:

Features of the Post Box

I will list all the different icon names and parts of the Post Box.

Here we have the post box.

Below is the first part of the tools in the post box.

First off we have the "Green Arrow" which points to the "Subject"(Title) box for the post.  Generally this will be the woman's name, or other information about the post you are creating.

Next we have the "Red Arrow" which points to the selection pull down for the "Message Icon".  Generally this will just be the standard icon but you can use the other icons to draw attention to special posts.

Here I will list each of the icons in the image above by number and list its function.   In the following posts we will go into using the functions each icon provides to enhance your posts.

1.) Bold
2.) Italic
3.) Underline
4.) strike through
5.) Pre
6.) left justify
7.) Center
8.) Right justify
9.) Font face
10.) Font size
11.) Change color

Here we have the second row of Icons.

1.) Flash link
2.) Image link
3.) URL Link
4.) Email link
5.) FTP link
6.) Glow
7.) Shadow
8.) Marquee
9.) Superscript
10.) Subscript
11.) Teletype
12.) Insert table
13.) Insert code
14.) Insert quote
15.) Hide tag special
16.) Insert unordered list
17.) Insert ordered list
18.) Horizontal rule
19.) Remove formatting
20.) Toggle view

Here we have the "Emoticons"(Smileys).  I will go into these in a latter post, but basically they are provided so you can show some emotion in your posts.  (One caution lots of icons slow page loading so don't go crazy on these.)

Here we have the next to last part of the Post Box.

The "Green Arrow" points to the "Preview button".  You should always use this to look at your post and make sure links, images, etc. look and work properly.

The "Blue Arrow" points to a text link "Attachments and other options" to open another menu with a few options(See last image in post.).

And finally we have the "Red Arrow" which points to the "Post button" which posts your post on the forum.

Here we have the last bit of the post box.  The menu which opens if you click the text link "Attachments and other options" the "Blue Arrow" points to as noted in the image above.

In the image below the "Red Arrow" points to "Notify me of replies." Check box so you will get a notice someone has replied to your post.   This is a good option if your looking for quick info back from one of your posts.

The "Green Arrow" points to the "Return to this topic." check box.  This is a good option if you want to continue reading the topic as you will stay on the topic rather than going back to the section the topic is in.

The "Blue Arrow" points to the "Don't use smileys." check box.  This is to disable Smileys(Emoticons) in your post.

Sar-Net:

Adding Text to your posts, Text formatting tools.

In this post I will describe the text posting tools I listed in the Features of the Post Box.
Information for other options will be listed in other posts in this guide.

Please remember to use the Karma system and the Applaud link at the right side under the posters nick to express your thanks for any significant posts, rather than cluttering up the forum with a bunch of one liners, etc.  Remember the karma system is in place to help the site load faster as extra extraneous posts slow topic loading.   

That said, no one wants to stop free expression or posts with significant information in them.  Please think when you post.   Ask yourself "Am I expressing something people will want to know?".   Ask yourself "Am I just wasting space cluttering the forum with extra posts that add nothing to the topic?".

Note these tools are designed to let the user enhance and highlight significant points in their posts.  Overusing the tools makes them loose effectiveness and can also annoy those who are reading your posts.  So please use them sparingly and wisely.

Remember once you are familiar to these options you can actually put the formatting options in directly.  I will show each feature as text with extra spaces so you can learn each option.

Here I will go over each of the text formatting icons in the above graphic by number and and provide a sample of it in use.  These first eleven icons are pretty basic and somewhat self explanatory, so I will be fairly brief.

1.) Bold - This icon adds the [ b ] and [ /b ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use Bold.

2.) Italic - This icon adds the [ i ] and [ /i ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use Italic.

3.) Underline - This icon adds the [ u ] and [ /u ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use Underline.

4.) Strike through  - This icon adds the [ s ] and [ /s ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use Strike through.  (I use this to block out old URL's when I update them.)

5.) Preformatted text - This icon adds the [ pre ] and [ /pre ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use.   (This option is useful when cutting and pasting from another page or document with formatted text.)

Preformatted text

6.) Left justify - This icon adds the [ left ] and [ /left ] before and after selected text.  This option lines up every thing to the left side of the page.  (This is also the standard format.)

Left justify
Left justify
Left justify.

7.) Center - This icon adds the [ center ] and [ /center ] before and after selected text.  This option centers everything and  looks like this.

Center
Center
Center
8.) Right justify - This icon adds the [ right ] and [ /right ] before and after selected text.  This option lines up everything on the right side of the page and looks like this.  (Over all I don't see a lot of use for this one on the forum.)

Right justify
Right justify
Right justify
9.) Font face - This icon adds the [ font=xxx ] and [ /font ] before and after selected text.  This option changes the font and looks like this in a sentence.  (Overall I would say to limit use of this option as its more for drawing attention to something important.)

Font face courier
Font face arial
Font face arial black
Font face impact
Font face verdana
Font facetimes new roman
Font face georgia
Font face andale mono
Font face trebuchet ms
Font face comic sans ms

10.) Font size - This icon adds the [ size=xxx ] and [ /size ] before and after selected text.  This option changes the font size and looks like this in use.  (Overall I would say to limit use of this option as its more for drawing attention to something important.)

Font size 8pt
Font size 10pt
Font size 12pt
Font size 14pt
Font size 18
Font size 24
Font size 36

11.) Change color - This icon adds the [ color=xxx ] and [ /color ] before and after selected text.  This option changes the color of your text(See Bellow for examples of each color the forum supports.   (Overall I would say to limit use of this option as its more for drawing attention to something important.)

Change color black (This one is not a lot of use on the forum unless you want to hide your text.)
Change color red
Change color yellow
Change color pink
Change color green
Change color orange
Change color purple
Change color blue
Change color beige
Change color brown
Change color teal
Change color navy
Change color maroon
Change color limegreen
Change color white

Some of these are more advanced options and I will provide a bit more explanation for some of them as well as a sample of each.

6.) Glow - This icon adds the [ glow=red,2,300 ] and [ /glow ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use.  (Overall I would say to limit use of this option as its more for drawing attention to something important.)

Glow

7.) Shadow - This icon adds the [ shadow=red,left ] and [ /shadow ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use.  (Overall I would say to limit use of this option as its more for drawing attention to something important.)

Shadow.

8.) Marquee - This icon adds the [ move ] and [ /move ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like.   (Overall I would say to limit use of this option as its more for drawing attention to something important.)
 Marquee

9.) Superscript - This icon adds the [ sup ] and [ /sup ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use Superscript.  (This is really of minimal use on the forum.)

10.) Subscript - This icon adds the [ sub ] and [ /sub ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use Subscript.   (This is really of minimal use on the forum.)

11.) Teletype - This icon adds the [ tt ] and [ /tt ] before and after selected text.  In this option text is displayed in a fixed-width teletype font.   (This is really of minimal use on the forum.)

Teletype

12.) Insert table - This icon adds the [  TABLE ] and [ / TABLE ] before and after selected text.  This option allows you to add a table in your post.  This is an advanced command and is not recommended for novice users.    To generate a table you will need to create code that looks something like this(See Example 1) minus the extra spaces.    This creates a two column table with 3 rows(See Example 2.).  A table is useful to display a list of items and corresponding info.  An example of use on the forum would be to list contestants and their placings in a Female Body Building contest(See Example 3).  (Note forums only support a minimum table feature, many html table options are not replicated.)

Example 1
[ TABLE ]
[ TR ][ TD ][ b ][ u ]Head 1[ /u ][ /b ][ /TD ][ TD ]    [ /TD ][ TD ][ b ][ u ]Head 2[ /u ][ /b ][ /TD ][ /TR ]
[ TR ][ TD ]Column 1 data 1[ /TD ][ TD ]    [ /TD ][ TD ]Column 2 data 1[ /TD ][ /TR ]
[ TR ][ TD ]Column 1 data 2[ /TD ][ TD ]    [ /TD ][ TD ]Column 2 data 2[ /TD ][ /TR ]
[ TR ][ TD ]Column 1 data 3[ /TD ][ TD ]    [ /TD ][ TD ]Column 2 data 3[ /TD ][ /TR ]
[ /TABLE ]

Example 2
Head 1    Head 2Column 1 data 1    Column 2 data 1Column 1 data 2    Column 2 data 2Column 1 data 3    Column 2 data 3
Example 3
Contestant                   placeShannon Courtney    1Mavi Gioia    2Sophie Arvebrink     3
13.) Insert code - This icon adds the [ code ] and [ /code ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use(Click the link to see code that has been posted.).  (The are only two places on the forum you should in general use this option.   One in the "General Chat" section of the forum when providing error code info on a computer problem.   And two when creating a topic in the "All rules and guidelines - FAQ" reporting an error report code from the forum.) (You can generally forget about 401 and 503 errors as those are generally caused by to many users trying to use the forum at the same time or in some cases web congestion.)

--- Code: ---Insert code
--- End code ---

14.) Insert quote - This icon adds the [ quote ] and [ /quote ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use.  (The forum provides an easy way to "Quote" a post at the top right corner of the post with the "Quote" link.)

--- Quote ---Insert quote
--- End quote ---

16.) Insert unordered list - This icon adds the [ list ] and [ /list ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use.

* Insert unordered list
17.) Insert ordered list - This icon adds the [ list type=decimal ] and [ /list ] before and after selected text.  This is what the option looks like in use.

* Insert ordered list
18.) Horizontal rule - This icon adds Horizontal rule to your post.  This is what the option looks like.

19.) Remove formatting - This icon Removes all formatting from selected text.  This is useful if you cut and paste into your post and get extra coding you don't want.   

Before Remove formatting.
Contestant                   placeShannon Courtney    1Mavi Gioia    2Sophie Arvebrink     3
After Remove formatting.
Contestant                   place
Shannon Courtney    1
Mavi Gioia    2
Sophie Arvebrink     3

20.) Toggle view - This icon changes the post box from the normal white text on charcoal to black text on white.  This only affects the post box.   This maybe easier for a few people to see the text they are typing.   Overall I would not recommend using this option as it is much harder on the eyes to use a white background. (See Images below for change.)

Standard      Toggle view

Sar-Net:

Using the Post Box Emoticons.

These Emoticons are provided so users may express feelings simply in their posts.

Please use these in moderation as too many graphics even simple ones slow page loading.

Please remember to use the Karma system and the Applaud link at the right side under the posters nick to express your thanks for any significant posts, rather than cluttering up the forum with a bunch of Emoticons.  Remember the karma system is in place to help the site load faster as extra extraneous posts slow topic loading.   

That said, no one wants to stop free expression or posts with significant information in them.  Please think when you post.   Ask yourself "Am I expressing something people will want to know?".   Ask yourself  "Am I just wasting space cluttering the forum with extra posts that add nothing to the topic?".

Note these icons are designed to let the user enhance and highlight significant points in their posts.  Overusing the tools makes them loose effectiveness and can also annoy those who are reading your posts.  So please use them sparingly and wisely.

Use of Emoticons are real simple just click on an emoticon and a code will be inserted into your post to cause the Emoticon to be displayed.  (See  Examples below.)

Code in post box : cool2 :    Emoticon shown in post    :cool2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View