Forum Saradas

Donate today to show love to your community!
gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
steroidify

gfx gfx
Advertising parapharma
gfxgfx

Welcome to Forum Saradas! Female Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure & Bikini

Do you love female bodybuilding and events like the Olympia and the Arnold Classic? Are you interested in female bodybuilding, fitness, figure & bikini?
If so check out and join our female bodybuilding forum! Saradas is the oldest and most popular female bodybuilding, fitness forum.

🔥 At Saradas you will find the most amazing and rare pictures of probably every female professional bodybuilder who has ever competed.   
🔥 You can keep up with female bodybuilding news from all over the world and hear the latest on your favorite bodybuilder.
🔥 You will find the latest updates on bodybuilding events like the Olympia and the Arnold Classic.

Saradas is your one stop female bodybuilding resource. Come and join us!

Saradas - The Internet Female Bodybuilding Database

gfx gfx
gfx
573968 Posts in 72822 Topics by 28732 Members - Latest Member: lonerider April 18, 2024, 12:40:24 am
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Forum Saradas  |  Female BodyBuilding & Fitness & Figure - Members Area  |  Memorable Female Muscle & Hall of Legends  |  Alison Brundage
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Alison Brundage  (Read 347139 times)

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Female Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini
Re: Alison Brundage
« Reply #510 on: May 22, 2015, 02:35:58 pm »
Found any of those past magazines or pictures that you have mentioned are somewhere in storage?

Stacks and stacks of photos and mags sit in a closet.   They got put there almost 8 years ago when we moved here.   Still not motivated enough to tackle the challenge.   We go surfing two weeks out of the month, leaving our home to go to the coast.  When we get back home we have yard and house care catch up...then we are off again.   At 70+ years old.....keeping the body parts in motion has first priority over sitting in front of stacks of photos and scanning them.  Never know when the body parts will stop moving ya know?

Anyway, God willing some day I will no doubt get to it...if we both live long enough.......     Another thing we want to do is to take a trip to Alaska.   Sure would be super to
connect with Pillow once again after all these years.  She was my best bodybuilding buddy back in the day 35 years ago.  How time flies !

the yard work

the surfing ( latest trip this  last month)

My very fav of Pillow from way back when

Always good to hear from you Mooveeguy !

ALISON

Forum Saradas

« Reply #510 on: May 22, 2015, 02:35:58 pm »

Offline Special1

• Activity:
    0%
« Reply #511 on: July 14, 2015, 08:04:50 am »
Alison, thanks for this thread, it is probably the best thread on the forum. I love your recollections and opinions, as well as the old and new photos. You and your husband were very lucky to forge a partnership early in life.

Can you tell me how the two of you met and how your relationship progressed? How did you decide to get married and what do you think is the secret to a successful marriage?
User is currently banned [View]

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #512 on: July 14, 2015, 08:31:18 pm »
Alison, thanks for this thread, it is probably the best thread on the forum. I love your recollections and opinions, as well as the old and new photos. You and your husband were very lucky to forge a partnership early in life.

Can you tell me how the two of you met and how your relationship progressed? How did you decide to get married and what do you think is the secret to a successful marriage?

Ha ha ha .....OK true Confessions.
First , thanks for the kind words.  I firmly believe that their should be more gals sharing their lives and adventures in bodybuilding.
1. I had graduated college and was staying with my retired parents in Florida.  Bored out of my gourd I went up to my college (Florida State University) to party with some of my old friends.  One of my crazier fiends gave me my husband's name and phone #.  He knew my husband lived close by where I was staying and that he could show me what there was to do around there..and as well find me some good pot. ( those were the days !)  It was a blind date.  We enjoyed each other's company and as well the weed.  In 6 months we were married.

2  We had similar interests....all except my flying airplanes.   Bill wasn't too wild about that.   At the time I was learning aerobatics and enjoying flying to isolated places with grass strips.  Very shortly my love for my husband...and the weed took over my flying.  That was the end of that (laughing)

3. We both had simple jobs.  I worked as a Public Health Nurse and he worked for the road department.  He had a good friend who came back from an extended trip to Colombia and shared his tales and pictures.  We saved our money and took off.  We eventually did some surfing on the coast of Ecuador ( that's where I started) ...and ended up back in Colombia buying a hut up in the mountains. ( $1600 for 2.5 acres of  land and a simple brick house, no running water nor electricity).  We stayed there for a bit over a year and went back to save $ and do it again...the next time down to Peru.  That's where we began riding big waves and enjoying that together.  We made the decision to move to Hawaii.  Lived most of our adult life in Hawaii.  We surfed every day together and worked night jobs.

4. Bodybuilding came along as a fluke.  We were both in our 30's and feeling a bit "older" and out of shape.  A friend conned us into joining a gym.  now my thoughts on that were the picture of some dark smelly hole where men grunted and being surrounded by smelly towels and jockstraps on hooks on the wall. (laughing)  "Oh no she said...it's not like that.  Gyms have carpeting, are airconditioned and it's cool to be a girl in the gym"   OK so we did the 3 day a week thing.  Got some lifting helps from some of the old fart gym guys who didn't want us to hurt ourselves.  That led to meeting one of the best Olympic and general lifting trainers on Oahu....Steve Dussia.  He helped me along

5. We ended up constructing a Rube Goldberg gym in Steve's backyard out of stop sign pipes and other gym equipment Steve had.  We had a power rack and some crazy good pulleys all rigged together into machines he made for me out of levers and pulleys.  From then on that's where we all trained.  He conned me into my first contest and from then on I won every contest I entered in Hawaii ( more than I can remember).  I did the Gold's classic and nationals twice.  We all had a great time for as long as it lasted.

6. All this time Bill and I surfed and lifted together daily, still keeping night jobs.,   We did this until 2007 when we sold everything there and retired to the Rep of Panama.  A great place to retire BTW !   We still lift, and we go to the coast 1-2 weeks a month depending upon the swells.  Panama has some great surf. 

7.  Enjoying the things we do together and each other's company I believe was the core of our success.  We love travel and have done quite a bit of that too.  Some things change...like we no longer drink alcohol ( rarely maybe a drink) and we don't smoke weed now.  We became Christians over 15 years ago and enjoy that together as well...reading the bible together outloud daily...him a chapter, me a chapter.  Takes us about 8 months to get through...then we start again. 

8.  We have always kept life simple.  We elected not to have children-.  Never had more debt than a mortgage, saved our money and invested it.  Retired when Bill was 58 and I was 62.  We've lived in the Rep of Panama now for 8 years. 
]
                                                                          The early married hippy era......70's

]
My flying airplanes era ...short lived                  The man I fell in love with...who hated airplanes and loved his weed.  It was an easy choice to give up airplanes!

]                                                                                             
Living in So Colombia 70's                                                               Bill & buddy making a balsa surfboard, Ecuador 70's

Ecuador surfing together  70's
]
Bodybuilding era. Had our own tee shirts for our backyard gym...the Deltoid house. Mid 80's

Hawaii surfing 80's to 2007
                         ]
Growing old in Panama....surfing

Having fun together in the mountains of Panama...retired                                                                             Yard care......Panama.
[                                   ]
Bill's book. A collection of all the crazy stories about growing up and getting old.     Bill ( and Homer Simpson) observes that the pants get higher with each   
                                                                                                                                   passing decade

Soooooo...there you have it.  Have fun together no matter what you do.  Keep life simple.  A sense of humor helps...Bill has a real good one. 
Alison

Offline zig563

• Activity:
    0%
« Reply #513 on: July 14, 2015, 08:34:21 pm »
Cool share Alison! :rock:  I hope all is well.

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #514 on: July 14, 2015, 09:22:36 pm »
All's well Zig thanks.  Same ole stuff.  Hows life up there without the snow ?  Weather's kind of strange down here.  Not as we would anticipate this time of year.  Less rain and surf has been good but not outstanding.  Got some good one's 4th of July.  Always good to be back home in the mountains here.  Too damn hot on the coast. We're spoiled.
July 4th  surf

Did I tell you I broke off my knuckle surfing?   Surfed my 70th birthday with a 3 day old fracture of my 5th knuckle.  Here's some of the pics of my 70th birthday wave fun
]                                                    ]
Broken knuckle left hand                                                                             My 70th birthday cake with Barbie there on a waveski, broken knuckle aced up...
                                                                                                                    frozen water bottle

Offline OdoHerr

• Activity:
    0%
« Reply #515 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:46 pm »

Thank you, Alison, for sharing here all these details of your personal life and experience. I did appreciate.
Best regards
OdoHerr

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #516 on: July 14, 2015, 11:01:41 pm »
 ;)   Thanx.  O.H.  As you can see, I have loads of time on my hands ! (laughing)

Offline Special1

• Activity:
    0%
« Reply #517 on: July 15, 2015, 09:48:09 am »
Alison, I think where you distinguish yourself is you put your thoughts down and have the life experiences. Some people who have the stories to tell never bother to share them, because they think no one would be interested.

There is no perfect life. One choice takes you down a road to the exclusion of other avenues. It breeds discontentment to think life could have ever been any way other than it was. Nonetheless, it is always best to have a plan, with goals along the way.

What I find is fascinating is the difference between image and reality when you visit different places. Perhaps it is true most of the "third world" is corrupt but there are those places which are a better deal to live in than the hyper-capitalist developed countries. For example, the standard of living in Canada is lower compared to the USA, looking at the bigger cities - and like for like comparisons. Yet, people have an impression Canada is paradise.

And I think what matters, perhaps more than anything, is the attitude of people in a place. It really rubs off on you if the people are positive thinkers, care about other human beings, and are open to new approaches and thinking bigger.

Just yesterday, I was watching a report on how Berlin real estate is now so very expensive. I thought, "Why don't they ever tell us about the places which used to be expensive and are now dirt cheap?" Or the places which are cheap and about to appreciate?

Do you think places like Panama and other places in the region will be run over by retirees from the USA and Canada?

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #518 on: July 15, 2015, 01:52:11 pm »
Your thoughts and questions Special1 :
1." And I think what matters, perhaps more than anything, is the attitude of people in a place. It really rubs off on you if the people are positive thinkers, care about other human beings, and are open to new approaches and thinking bigger."
2  "Do you think places like Panama and other places in the region will be run over by retirees from the USA and Canada? "

Our  choice to retire to Panama was first made after reading a travel article about "the people of Panama".   They were described as open. kind and welcoming.  The article went on to describe the author's personal experiences with simple ranchers on the Azuero Penninsula.  I said to my husband...."Bill, we need to go and live with these people"    Now strangely enough Panama was voted #1 as the country where the people had the most peace of mind .   I came down here by myself back in 2007 to scout out the country and I came back home to  give Bill my report.  Beyond  a doubt in every regard I found the people to be exactly as described.  I told him..."Bill I think they have an extra kindness gene".   After 8 years  of living here I can say this has not changed. 

There ARE quite a few foreign settlers here in Boquete , Panama where we live.  This city is at 2400 ft and is the "go to" spot for local folk to enjoy a cool mountain breeze weekend get- away.   It was originally settled after completion of the Canal.  Many of the engineers and movers and shakers in the building of the canal took their money and came to this town to start a new life.  They were from many different countries: USA, Germany, Spain, Switzerland.  This town was settled by foreigners,.  It was voted #1 as the best place to retire by AARP and International Living.  That makes it VERY comfortable for Bill and I.  There's lots of folks who speak both English and Spanish and a ton of things to do.   I can say beyond a doubt that Bill and I have the best quality of life we have ever had in our entire life ...here.   Yes, there is a foreign migration from places like Costa Rica and quite a few residents of Venezuela are moving in ....and lots of disenfranchised US and Canadian settlers as well.  There's a flow in and out....it's not for everyone living here.  That said Panama is one of the few countrys (if not the only country) that offers a permanent residency visa to foreigners and gives them all the percs that their own citizens receive.  For elder retirees in Panama we get 50% off hotel rooms, 25% off restaurant food, 25% off travel ( including airfare out of the country).....and more.  This reduces our cost of living enormously big time !   We were VERY fortunate to have made the choice to take our retirement money and move from Hawaii to the Rep of Panama in 2007 !   Blessed.

Thanks for your kind words and sharing your thoughts Special 1 !

Alison

Offline zig563

• Activity:
    0%
« Reply #519 on: July 16, 2015, 07:16:23 pm »
Great stuff Alison. :bravo: Things are great up here. I'm in the best shape I have been in the past decade.....going hardcore on the anti inflam diet snd working out more. Weather has been great for the most part. Not overly hot much....a few days here and there, but nothing that bothers me. I love the longer daylight too. Thanks for the great shares.

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #520 on: July 17, 2015, 02:51:13 pm »
Great to hear all's well  Zig.....and GREAT after all these years to have a check in from my old friend and trainer Steve Dussia thanks to this site .   ( benefits of the computer era)........alison

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #521 on: July 18, 2015, 02:10:36 pm »

Houston we have contact !   I'm thankful for the SAR.ADAS site for helping me to re-connect with my old friend and trainer, BB partner 
              and photographer Steve Dussia !  Many decades have passed and we have a lot to catch up on.........I'm a happy camper !

Just for the record, here's a picture....two old friends : Steve Dussia my trainer and I, now 30 years later.   
If it were not for SAR.ADAS I doubt we would ever have had this reunion.  We spent hours on the phone last night rehashing old stories and Steve excitedly sharing his personal memories of  his many years with some of the greats of the iron game....   So many funny stories ~~ I swear he should write a book.  If he ever did, it would be a one of a kind.   You'll find how a died-in-the wool natural became a champion while rubbing shoulders with some lifting monsters well juiced, many of whom he himself trained.  Tales of lifting cars in the wee hours of the night after working a side job as bouncers with the likes of Bill Starr his lifetime mentor and friend....the stories kept com-min.  It refreshed the joy I shared with Steve in lifting.  He made it so much fun.  It was one hell-of-an adventure ...and our motto...."It just doesn't matter!" (" lets just give it a go...and see what happens")   We did.  Great times !   

I just want to thank the admin of SAR.ADAS who assisted me in actually connecting with Steve.
                                                                                                                    ALISON

artful.dodger

« Reply #522 on: July 20, 2015, 09:21:50 am »

Houston we have contact !   I'm thankful for the SAR.ADAS site for helping me to re-connect with my old friend and trainer, BB partner 
              and photographer Steve Dussia !  Many decades have passed and we have a lot to catch up on.........I'm a happy camper !

Just for the record, here's a picture....two old friends : Steve Dussia my trainer and I, now 30 years later.   
If it were not for SAR.ADAS I doubt we would ever have had this reunion.  We spent hours on the phone last night rehashing old stories and Steve excitedly sharing his personal memories of  his many years with some of the greats of the iron game....   So many funny stories ~~ I swear he should write a book.  If he ever did, it would be a one of a kind.   You'll find how a died-in-the wool natural became a champion while rubbing shoulders with some lifting monsters well juiced, many of whom he himself trained.  Tales of lifting cars in the wee hours of the night after working a side job as bouncers with the likes of Bill Starr his lifetime mentor and friend....the stories kept com-min.  It refreshed the joy I shared with Steve in lifting.  He made it so much fun.  It was one hell-of-an adventure ...and our motto...."It just doesn't matter!" (" lets just give it a go...and see what happens")   We did.  Great times !   

I just want to thank the admin of SAR.ADAS who assisted me in actually connecting with Steve.
                                                                                                                    ALISON

Alison, pleased to hear that you met again Steve Dussia your trainer after long years  :dance:

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #523 on: July 20, 2015, 03:30:20 pm »
Muscular Woman
What's interesting is he ( like me) sort of fell out of the loop with regard to FBB at the competitive level for nearly 20...close to 30 years. I know it's difficult to understand how that could happen.  We both kept our joy of lifting and exercise, each of us going our own ways as time passed.  Geographically we were seperated by thousands of miles.  For many many years neither of us had a computer.  He still only has one offline.  That be the case, one can literally fall off the ends of the earth and not be found.  It was only his work compiling his notes and memories of Bill Starr after Starr's recent untimely death that in borrowing a friend's online computer he just bumped into SAR.DAS...and me.  His friend helped him write a personal message to me...and with the help of SAR.ADAS admin  to sort it all out ....we finally made contact.

The joy of a renewal of all these great times we had lifting together was beyond words.    Steve's full of stories of so many of the early movers and shakers in the iron game ...and they are all captivating to say the least.  His recounting his experiences with Bill Starr and helping Bill put together Only The Strongest Shall Survive are both fascinating as well as hilarious.  Steve was Bill's photographer and illustrator.  With the old school still camera, Steve and Bill created the photo illustrations of lifts.  When the scheduled lifter didn't show up...Steve Dussia was Bill Starr's model...AND photographer.  Steve would set up the shot, do the lift with Bill Starr pressing the button...here's one:

That's the same way the photograph I enclosed of us posing together was done.  Old school.  He set up the shot with me standing there...then jumped in and hit the pose with me...all of it on a timer.  He developed the proofs and photos in his bathroom.  I have no doubt that's how he processed the photos for Bill Starr.

So in closing I'll cut to the chase here.  All I was, all I developed, every ounce of my success I owe to the talent of this man.  There are very few with enormous gifts held in any particular athletic endeavor.  Steve Dussia has an abundance of gifts in the sport and art of lifting/bodybuilding, coaching...as well photography. ( ..and he I might add, owes a great deal of his to Bill Starr)   That our universes collided way back in the 80s was nothing short of miraculous as far as I'm concerned.  To have the success I had (and he along with me) in our crude Rube Goldberg stop sign pipe home-made gym in complete isolation from the rest of the lifting world was one exciting adventure.  Some of the very best years of my life !

(Practice photos Steve took)                       

(home practice...)                                          (Cory&Jeff won the doubles)   ( about when I quit in 83)   (6 months training, 1st contest,1st place...1980?)
                                                                           ...not us !                         
                                                                                                                        ALISON

Offline alison brundage

• Gold Member VIP
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #524 on: July 23, 2015, 04:36:04 pm »
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on getting a 8' soft board for $80.  1-3 foot waves is fine with me.
Not going to do any North Shore surfing like you did!
Go for it..you can't lose.  The softies come in some nice shapes these days.  have fun!  Let me know how it goes.
Alison

Forum Saradas  |  Female BodyBuilding & Fitness & Figure - Members Area  |  Memorable Female Muscle & Hall of Legends  |  Alison Brundage

gfxgfx
Forum Saradas does not host any files on its own servers.
gfx
It only points to various links on the Internet that already exist.
It is recommended to buy Original Video, CD, DVD's and pictures only.
gfx
Mobile View