Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by RobMash on 27 Feb 2012
  • You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
    Hey Michelle, Sorry to hear about your injury what a bummer. Are you forced to withdraw from the Arnold competition and St. Louis Pro?
     Yes, it is a very big bummer!!! It is with great disappointment that I am withdrawing from the Arnold and will not be competing in St. Louis.

What did you injure?
     I tore my left calf muscle in the beginning of January.

You had been kinda nursing another injury as well, right?
     Yes. I have been dealing with back and hamstring issues for some time.  It comes along with the sport as well as residual issues from years of gymnastics.

How did you injure your calf?
     There is no exciting story as to how my calf tore.  I was working out as usual when it decided to pop.   I’ve been trying to rest it while continuing to prepare for the Arnold.

What do the doctors have you doing for rehab?
     I am going to physical therapy a couple of times a week, getting ultra sound to the calf several times a week, doing low resistance cardio, and avoiding any dynamic or plyometric movements.  Of course that means no tumbling.

This puts you out of the Arnold and St. Louis, but will we see you in Pittsburgh?
     I’ve been trying to rest the calf while continuing to prepare for the competitions, but it has not healed enough to compete.  Unfortunately and with great disappointment I will miss both the Arnold and St. Louis.  My focus now is to return healthy and in full strength in Pittsburgh.

Have you had injuries in the past?
     Being involved in gymnastics as well as being very active for my job, I deal with injuries often.

Still a special agent in the FBI?
     I am a Special Agent with IRS Criminal Investigation, currently assigned to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center as an instructor in Defensive Tactics and Arrest Techniques.

How do you deal with the injury mentally?
     I receive a great deal of support from my family, friends, co-workers and coach.  I also read sport psychology books such as  “In Pursuit of Excellence” by Terry Orlick to help maintain a positive outlook and stay focused on my goals.

Do you have any tips/advice for other women who may be battling an injury?
     Life is a journey with many twists and turns.  Sometimes detours arise and a new route must be taken.  With the right attitude those detours can often lead you down a better path than you initially planned.

At times the injury can send you on an emotional roller coaster so lean on those close to you for support.  Stay positive, focus on healing, things you can improve on and limit the amount of time you talk about the injury.

Will you still be attending the Arnold?
     Yes, I will be attending both the Arnold and St. Louis.  I believe it is important to support my fellow athletes and I look forward to the opportunity to promote Fitness at the events.

Where can people find more info on you and send you their well wishes?
     You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks for your time Michelle and we wish you a speedy and full recovery.
Pages:
Actions